Help choosing new blades for "intermediate" skater | Golden Skate

Help choosing new blades for "intermediate" skater

LinaN

Spectator
Hi! I'd very much appreciate your help in how to choose new blades for my daughter. She is 13 and has landed her axel and a few double jumps (salchow, loop, flip) quite recently. She is currently skating in Edea Chorus with the Mirage blade. We bought a new pair of Chorus, since they fit her well, but I'm not sure what blade would be most helpful for her. Her coach suggested MK Phantom, but they seem very "advanced" to me. Other parents suggested Ulitma Legacy (very popular here in Sweden, northern Europe). Do you have any advice? Thank you so much in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I'd very much appreciate your help in how to choose new blades for my daughter. She is 13 and has landed her axel and a few double jumps (salchow, loop, flip) quite recently. She is currently skating in Edea Chorus with the Mirage blade. We bought a new pair of Chorus, since they fit her well, but I'm not sure what blade would be most helpful for her. Her coach suggested MK Phantom, but they seem very "advanced" to me. Other parents suggested Ulitma Legacy (very popular here in Sweden, northern Europe). Do you have any advice? Thank you so much in advance!

Either MK Professional or John Wilson Coronation Ace. Those are both intermediate blades and in tune with her level.

She won't need Phantoms or something of that level (advanced) until she progresses towards triples or gets her double axel at least.

RebeccaAG

Spectator
A few weeks back my daughter's coach suggested the MK Phantom (an upgrade from the MK Visions she had) as well for my 12 year old. Wow what a difference they made in her spins. It was an immediate and very visible difference. My daughter also feels they made a difference in her jumps (Double Salchow, Double Toe).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
A few weeks back my daughter's coach suggested the MK Phantom (an upgrade from the MK Visions she had) as well for my 12 year old. Wow what a difference they made in her spins. It was an immediate and very visible difference. My daughter also feels they made a difference in her jumps (Double Salchow, Double Toe).

Well, they are an advanced blade, and visions were an intermediate blade. The OPs daughter doesn't need anything higher than what I suggested.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States

Sometimes big difference are felt and improvements made with expensive new blades because the old blades were just worn out. That's a factor that gets overlooked in many discussions.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Sometimes big difference are felt and improvements made with expensive new blades because the old blades were just worn out. That's a factor that gets overlooked in many discussions.

That's a good point. Sometimes the spin rocker gets flattened out a lot as the blade nears the end of its life, and the "difference" is really just having a fresh spin rocker.

Also, some skaters are more sensitive to differences than others. There is a skater we know that moved from MK professional to Phantom and immediately felt they were so much better. Their sibling (they are both similar level) did the same move and "couldn't tell the difference", which is probably a sign that the move was not necessary. My child is a bit more advanced than the OP's skater and skates on the MK Phantom and absolutely loves it, but is a very aggressive and big jumper. Other kids at the same level as mine are in Coro Ace and MK Professional and seem to be fine with it and wouldn't even want to try the Phantom. Some of the decision may be related to the skater's jumping technique and consultations with the coach and skate tech, but I'd think it would be rare that something that advanced would really be needed for someone who only recently landed axels and a few doubles. I think if there is no real reason to be in the Phantom, stick with the suggestions from Ic3Rabbit above - they are also a lot less expensive than the Phantoms! Nowadays, I'd be looking to cut out any unnecessary expenses.

RebeccaAG

Spectator

Good point. That certainly could be a possible part of the improvement. Either way I am happy with the blades but you and other posters are right they are an expensive upgrade for sure so it would not be necessary since OP is intermediate skating level (double jumps)as was also mentioned here but thought it worthy to mention our experience in relation to OP question since we just went through this. However we tend to spend more on blades than we do dresses or even boots (her current boots are hand me downs that fit great and were only lightly used).

LinaN

Spectator
Either MK Professional or John Wilson Coronation Ace. Those are both intermediate blades and in tune with her level.

She won't need Phantoms or something of that level (advanced) until she progresses towards triples or gets her double axel at least.

Thank you for your advice! Our skateshop label the MK Professional as the same level as Mirage (which work fine for now actually, but we need new blades for the new boots), so I was a bit hesitant to buy them. My daughters feet don't grow anymore, so it is good to know that MK Professional will work even when/if she improves.

LinaN

Spectator
Thank you for your reply! I agree that my daughter doesn't "need" the Phantoms, that is why I can't decide weather to buy them or not. But her coach recommended them and all of the coaches more advanced skaters use them. My daugher also has "high" jumps.

LinaN

Spectator
Good point. That certainly could be a possible part of the improvement. Either way I am happy with the blades but you and other posters are right they are an expensive upgrade for sure so it would not be necessary since OP is intermediate skating level (double jumps)as was also mentioned here but thought it worthy to mention our experience in relation to OP question since we just went through this. However we tend to spend more on blades than we do dresses or even boots (her current boots are hand me downs that fit great and were only lightly used).

Thank you for your reply! Our coach actually recommended either Visions or Phantoms, but since the Visions seem to have been discontinued, I didn't mention them. It is good to hear that Phantoms were an improvement for your skater.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your reply! I agree that my daughter doesn't "need" the Phantoms, that is why I can't decide weather to buy them or not. But her coach recommended them and all of the coaches more advanced skaters use them. My daugher also has "high" jumps.

It doesn't matter what the other skaters are wearing or how high she jumps. I am a former elite skater, now a pro with high jumps my whole career and I'm flat out telling you she doesn't need the Phantoms yet, she would be perfectly fine with MK Pros or JW Coronation Ace. No Mirage, they're too flat in the rocker.

skatingbeast

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I was debating switching blades as well because I’m getting new boots and need to replace my blades but in the words of both my coaches: “you’re skating in your current blades well so why get something else.” So I’m sticking with MK Pros!

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
My child self is a good object lesson in overblading. I bought a pair of used skates from another skater in my club (who also didn’t need phantoms but who always had to have high level blades because they were “the best”). I didn’t know what I was getting into and spent 6 months tripping over the massive toe pick. I was a lot happier when I got new skates with blades suited to my actual level.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I used JW Coronation Ace back when I was ready for an upgrade from the sort of beginner skates. I am SO glad I went with the Coronation Ace--it is a super solid choice for skaters who need a more advanced blade, but aren't ready for the top of the line blades. I highly recommend them.