Help picking blade | Golden Skate

Help picking blade

sylvanavd

Spectator
Hello everyone! Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if I could get some advice on getting new blades.

I'm an adult skater in my 20s, I've skated since I was really young but took a lot of breaks and have recently picked it up again. I'm currently on a really old WIFA skates with a beginner level blade (the lettering on both the blades and skates have faded so I don't have any idea what exact model they are).

In terms of my skating I have my single jumps (minus the axel) down, as well as combos. The axel I'll start working on soon. I have all the basic spins (scratch, sit, camel) down and don't struggle with speed but do struggle with centring my spins.

After much consideration and research I'm upgrading to the Edea Chorus boots. I'm having more difficulty picking a blade. I've narrowed it down to the Coronation Ace and the Ultima legacy 7. I'm just struggling with which to choose. If anyone with more experience could give me some pros and cons? Especially in terms of lasting me through my doubles. I've read that they both have a crosscut toe-pick and are overall pretty similar but I'm still really curious to hear your opinions and experiences.

P.S. If I do end up going for the CA I'm debating between the standard version or the lite version so if anyone could give me some advice picking between those two that would be lovely aswell :)

Thank you so much!

Friday

Rinkside
Definetly go for Coronation Ace. From what I have learned through reading a lot of posts here, the Legacy seems to have a very flat spin rocker.
So being on the CA should help you with your spins.

All people (and especially @Ic3Rabbit, who has tested all the blades) suggest getting the standart version.
I think I read somewhere that the lite is more difficult to sharpen due to being slimmer? (not sure on that one).
So getting the lite is probably just a waste of money ^^

And, just saying, I'm very happy with my CA :laugh:

Just for confirmation (and because I think others will bring it up): by 'a lot of research', do you mean you visited a reputable fitter and got fitted for your new skates?
Because if not, I would suggest doing that :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
As mentioned above, hopefully you've been properly fitted...

If it's just about the choice between CA and Legacy 7, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Coronation Ace, traditional version. There is a reason it is the most popular blade in the world. You won't go wrong with it for spinning, footwork or jumps. There are many issues with the Lite version. Do yourself a favour and avoid them.

sylvanavd

Spectator
Im actually yet to get professionally fitted but I'm just trying to go into the store as well informed as I can be. It's just that im very indecisive and want to go into the store kind of knowing what I want. Of course I'm still open to that changing and I might even walk out with a pair of totally different skates but I just want to go in as well informed as I can be so thanks for the tips!

Thanks a lot for your advice regarding the blades. I think the flat spin rocker is definitely whats putting me off about the legacies. The lite seems like a nice idea but its always hard to improve the original and since the original CA is praised widely I'll just stick with those :))

Definetly go for Coronation Ace. From what I have learned through reading a lot of posts here, the Legacy seems to have a very flat spin rocker.
So being on the CA should help you with your spins.

All people (and especially @Ic3Rabbit, who has tested all the blades) suggest getting the standart version.
I think I read somewhere that the lite is more difficult to sharpen due to being slimmer? (not sure on that one).
So getting the lite is probably just a waste of money ^^

And, just saying, I'm very happy with my CA :laugh:

Just for confirmation (and because I think others will bring it up): by 'a lot of research', do you mean you visited a reputable fitter and got fitted for your new skates?
Because if not, I would suggest doing that :)

sylvanavd

Spectator
As mentioned above, hopefully you've been properly fitted...

If it's just about the choice between CA and Legacy 7, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Coronation Ace, traditional version. There is a reason it is the most popular blade in the world. You won't go wrong with it for spinning, footwork or jumps. There are many issues with the Lite version. Do yourself a favour and avoid them.
Thanks a lot for the warning :ROFLMAO: I think I am indeed going to do myself a big favour and stay away from the lite version. The more I hear about them the worse it gets so I'm definitely just going to stick with the standard CA.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone! Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if I could get some advice on getting new blades.

I'm an adult skater in my 20s, I've skated since I was really young but took a lot of breaks and have recently picked it up again. I'm currently on a really old WIFA skates with a beginner level blade (the lettering on both the blades and skates have faded so I don't have any idea what exact model they are).

In terms of my skating I have my single jumps (minus the axel) down, as well as combos. The axel I'll start working on soon. I have all the basic spins (scratch, sit, camel) down and don't struggle with speed but do struggle with centring my spins.

After much consideration and research I'm upgrading to the Edea Chorus boots. I'm having more difficulty picking a blade. I've narrowed it down to the Coronation Ace and the Ultima legacy 7. I'm just struggling with which to choose. If anyone with more experience could give me some pros and cons? Especially in terms of lasting me through my doubles. I've read that they both have a crosscut toe-pick and are overall pretty similar but I'm still really curious to hear your opinions and experiences.

P.S. If I do end up going for the CA I'm debating between the standard version or the lite version so if anyone could give me some advice picking between those two that would be lovely aswell :)

Thank you so much!
Hi and welcome! The first thing you need to do is get a professional fitting and based on your foot needs, will determine what brands of skating boots you can and cannot wear.

Once that is done, then CA standard is your best bet to pair it with. MK Pro is similar option.

Good luck! :)