help w/ learning scratch spin | Golden Skate

help w/ learning scratch spin

viamarkable

Rinkside
hi everyone!
so, i'm not a very experienced or good skater yet, and i'm basically starting scratch spins. i'm always unable to cross my leg over the other, because i normally lose balance and then fall out of the spin. i travel like crazy 😞 about 2.5-3 feet for like 4-6 revolutions. i know i'm supposed to spin on my rocker, but i feel as if i just can't get up on it and if i do, my weight shifts and i'm off again or i get up onto the toepick. if anyone has any tips, exercises, anything that could help (im desperate rn lol) that would be helpful. tysm everyone

(also is it just me who has been working on scratch spins for like 6 months and still cant get it? any help with not beig scared f going too fast would also be welcomed)

Last edited:

tinna

Spectator
Hi, sorry to hear you are struggling with spins.
Since nobody has answered your question - there are many elite level skaters on this forum - I'll give you the tips my coach gave me, even though I feel like I am not as qualified as other people here to help you. But I remember what it was like to struggle with this, as it was not so long ago!

First, ask your coach - she / he sees your skating. You are not the only one not getting this after six months.

Second, traveling. This has been an issue for me. My coach told me: take your time holding the entry edge into the spin. Let the spin happen, don't try to force it. Do an exercise where you just start from a t-position and hold the edge for as long as possible to really have control over it. Then start to curve it in until you hit the topic. Don't worry about rotations or the position, just get to a place where all your forward movement has been converted into a spinning motion and you are stable. Only then start to pull in to accelerate. Then slowly build on that.

Maybe I am not explaining this well... There are really good tutorials also on youtube, by Ice Coach Online and iSkateCoach on centering spins and spin entries.

Good luck.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
hi everyone!
so, i'm not a very experienced or good skater yet, and i'm basically starting scratch spins. i'm always unable to cross my leg over the other, because i normally lose balance and then fall out of the spin. i travel like crazy 😞 about 2.5-3 feet for like 4-6 revolutions. i know i'm supposed to spin on my rocker, but i feel as if i just can't get up on it and if i do, my weight shifts and i'm off again or i get up onto the toepick. if anyone has any tips, exercises, anything that could help (im desperate rn lol) that would be helpful. tysm everyone

(also is it just me who has been working on scratch spins for like 6 months and still cant get it? any help with not beig scared f going too fast would also be welcomed)
* You have another thread concerning your blades. So you need to tend to that issue.

* Before working on a full-out scratch spin, how good and consistent are your two-foot spins and simple one-foot spins (e.g., starting with a two-foot spin and lifting up one foot)?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Get the blade thing figured out, and also, what does your coach say?

viamarkable

Rinkside
Get the blade thing figured out, and also, what does your coach say?
I will. as for coach, i stopped skating because of the pandemic and didn't come back until recently so for now, I don't have a coach. I used to do group lessons because my parents' weren't sure that I would actually commit to skating, but I think they now know that i will. time is a big issue right now because the closest rink to me is 20-30 minutes away.

viamarkable

Rinkside
* You have another thread concerning your blades. So you need to tend to that issue.

* Before working on a full-out scratch spin, how good and consistent are your two-foot spins and simple one-foot spins (e.g., starting with a two-foot spin and lifting up one foot)?
They are pretty consistent. by good, what do you mean? as a side note, if you read my message before replying to Ic3Rabbit, i said I did group lessons. at the lesson, the coaches told me to start working on a scratch spin so i'm guessing that my one foot spin (entry from back crossovers) was good?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I will. as for coach, i stopped skating because of the pandemic and didn't come back until recently so for now, I don't have a coach. I used to do group lessons because my parents' weren't sure that I would actually commit to skating, but I think they now know that i will. time is a big issue right now because the closest rink to me is 20-30 minutes away.
Please get a coach before you try to learn anything else.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm just gonna say... for a rink that's actually extremely close by. My daily commute to the rink is about that length. Most people drive longer to their office job (assuming you're in the United States), sometimes over an hour. If skating is something you want to do, think of it like a job. Would you drive that far for a job?

viamarkable

Rinkside
I'm just gonna say... for a rink that's actually extremely close by. My daily commute to the rink is about that length. Most people drive longer to their office job (assuming you're in the United States), sometimes over an hour. If skating is something you want to do, think of it like a job. Would you drive that far for a job?
I would, but could my parents? they both have full time jobs with a lot of meetings. we do go basically whenever I'm off from school ad they are free, because sessions during the day have very few people especially since my school schedule has random breaks when most other schools are in session. I do have several extracurricular activities which do make some of my afternoons quite crowded.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would, but could my parents? they both have full time jobs with a lot of meetings. we do go basically whenever I'm off from school ad they are free, because sessions during the day have very few people especially since my school schedule has random breaks when most other schools are in session. I do have several extracurricular activities which do make some of my afternoons quite crowded.
You're going to have to make a decision between skating and other extracurriculars.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You're going to have to make a decision between skating and other extracurriculars.
This. Most skaters can only do one other low commitment one. Skating takes a lot of time because you can't just take breaks like some other sports can. Especially when starting late.

viamarkable

Rinkside
This. Most skaters can only do one other low commitment one. Skating takes a lot of time because you can't just take breaks like some other sports can. Especially when starting late.
yeah, all my skating friends quit lots of other activities, which I will definitely have to do