Help with buying beginner first skates for wide feet | Golden Skate

Help with buying beginner first skates for wide feet

shumaislife

Rinkside
Hello! I have finally decided to take the plunge on buying my own skates. Although I don't have zero skills besides just skating forward, I hope to start LTS in the next available session starting in May. My fitting appointment has been scheduled for next week and I'll be traveling 2 hours each way. However... I'm a graduate student, and my funds are extremely limited. It'd greatly help to know how much I should expect to spend before going into the shop.

Ideally, my skates would last me through the LTS series, and possibly half/single jumps. Since I have wide feet, I have heard Jacksons are going to be my best bet. I'm thinking Elle or Freestyle but would consider Debut if it seems more appropriate. Does this sound right for an adult beginner? Should I keep an open mind to other brands like Edeas with an E width (but that would cost even more as a special order right)? Please help!

Height: 5'5" (165cm)
Weight: 125lbs (57kg)
Feet length: 9"7/16 (240mm) on the longer foot, 9"5/16 (237mm) on the shorter foot
Feet width: 9"1/8 (233mm)
Feet shape: Roman? That's what people seem to call it. My big toe and 3rd toe are the same length, but my 2nd toe is actually the longest by like 3mm. Heels are slightly narrower.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Do NOT go with Edea. They will cause you pain and they won't fit you.

Elle and Freestyle sounds pretty accurate. I'm glad you're getting a fitter.
Edit: the cost will probably be somewhere from 200 to 300 USD.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Do NOT go with Edea. They will cause you pain and they won't fit you.

Elle and Freestyle sounds pretty accurate. I'm glad you're getting a fitter.
Edit: the cost will probably be somewhere from 200 to 300 USD.
Thanks! That's actually a relief to hear because Edeas seem to run more expensive than Jacksons.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I am SO glad to hear that you are going to a fitter!! I was just about to come comment on this thread that you should definitely consult a pro, but I am glad to see you are ahead of the game there.

As for boots--I'm sure Ic3Rabbit will be able to help point you in the right direction! They're INCREDIBLY knowledgeable, and they'll be able to help you more than I can here, ahaha!!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi There,

You're a bit "in between" the recommendations from Jackson re weight and boot models. You could probably get by with a Freestyle for basic skills (Jackson rates them for 60 lbs +, there's no upper node), but you'd likely be better off (and it would last you longer) in a Debut, rated for "more than 115 lbs"). The problem is you'd have to get a blade separate with the Debut. Boot alone costs $350 or so. The same blade they sell on the Freestyle, the Aspire XP is another $100. It's pretty meh as far as a blade goes. For a good blade that will last you skill wise it's about $250 for a Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro. I know, sizable investment for anyone, but for an adult you don't really get much leeway. I guess it depends on when you might have the additional $ to "upgrade". You'll be spending $350 now, and if you keep going and start working on single jumps another $600 really soon when your boot breaks down or you realize you don't have the support you need.

As far as width, stock Jackson's come in a wide (W) model, but it's only a D ball and a C heel and an R (A/B). My skater has had both models and neither quite fit right. We moved to the next boot up, the Premiere, and were able to "rapid custom" order a C ball/A heel. I don't know whether RC is available for the Debut, but that's where you might be able to get a wider fit, and it's not that much more expensive. A quality fitter will be able to tell you what can be done. Just know, it's expensive in the short run, but considering the danger of a boot that doesn't fit could land you in the ER really quickly, it's well worth the cost and effort to get what you need, not what you can afford. And I'm well aware how backwards that sounds, but I have a skater that might soon need $1,000+ customs and a new $750 blade, and she's 12 and still growing.

shumaislife

Rinkside
I am SO glad to hear that you are going to a fitter!! I was just about to come comment on this thread that you should definitely consult a pro, but I am glad to see you are ahead of the game there.
Yes, as I was exploring previous threads, it looked like people suggested going to a fitter 100% of the time. I'll have to reach out to Ic3Rabbit! Hopefully they would be willing to provide suggestions for me.

You'll be spending $350 now, and if you keep going and start working on single jumps another $600 really soon when your boot breaks down or you realize you don't have the support you need.
Oooffff that is definitely difficult to read, since I was hoping to spend closer to $300 and certainly not $600. BUT I completely understand what you are saying though, especially if the Debut boots might provide both longevity and the correct custom widths vs Freestyles. I'm glad I asked here before going to my appointment, because I can take my time to think whether it's financially possible for me to get them. Thank you so much for your insight!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Yes, as I was exploring previous threads, it looked like people suggested going to a fitter 100% of the time. I'll have to reach out to Ic3Rabbit! Hopefully they would be willing to provide suggestions for me.

Oooffff that is definitely difficult to read, since I was hoping to spend closer to $300 and certainly not $600. BUT I completely understand what you are saying though, especially if the Debut boots might provide both longevity and the correct custom widths vs Freestyles. I'm glad I asked here before going to my appointment, because I can take my time to think whether it's financially possible for me to get them. Thank you so much for your insight!
You're welcome, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of difficult news. Believe me, I know, I know. I certainly wasn't prepared when my daughter's coach sent me to Harlick and Sp-Teri for fittings and told me it was time for Gold Seal ($700) blades. If you're committed to this sport, it's a must to get it right or it's a waste of money, and as I said very dangerous. I see lots of skaters paying coaches $60/half hour plus ice time fees for lessons in boots and blades that don't fit, but were hand me downs, or "on sale" or bought online to save $50 or $100. And the parents are wondering why the skaters can't land a jump or get a spin, and why their feet are blistered or hurting so much that they can't skate more than 15 minutes at a time! "What do you mean you can't skate? I paid $300 for those skates"!

Best of luck, it's not easy that's for sure.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
You're welcome, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of difficult news. Believe me, I know, I know. I certainly wasn't prepared when my daughter's coach sent me to Harlick and Sp-Teri for fittings and told me it was time for Gold Seal ($700) blades. If you're committed to this sport, it's a must to get it right or it's a waste of money, and as I said very dangerous. I see lots of skaters paying coaches $60/half hour plus ice time fees for lessons in boots and blades that don't fit, but were hand me downs, or "on sale" or bought online to save $50 or $100. And the parents are wondering why the skaters can't land a jump or get a spin, and why their feet are blistered or hurting so much that they can't skate more than 15 minutes at a time! "What do you mean you can't skate? I paid $300 for those skates"!

Best of luck, it's not easy that's for sure.
I’ll chime in to heartily agree with this. My youngest skater went far too long in boots that were too soft and we were lucky she didn’t injure herself. Then DH went to the fitting and asked for growing room which led to another issue with her boots. We replaced them after a few months of struggling and adjusting and paying for ice time and coaching time! Now that was an ouch! That won’t be your problem but be aware what your looking for in a skate and don’t try to save money in the wrong areas. At the fitting, make sure those boots really fit......and good luck!

shumaislife

Rinkside
Hello, sorry I have another question! So I spoke to the fitter over the phone since she's 2.5hrs away, and she said she doesn't keep anything my size in stock... I understand not wanting to order boots into the shop before measuring, but is it reasonable to ask to order some to try on (even if the width wouldn't fit)? If it's going by just measurements, it feels like I might as well just order them myself online.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
That's not common practice, no. And ordering online is bad for many reasons. For one, ethics: you're taking a fitters time, but not paying them for their service. Additionally, you're going to have to have blades mounted anyway that's included in cost when you buy your boots and blades at a fitter, but you're going to have to pay a lot of money if you didn't buy your equipment at that specific pro shop. Lastly, you might f*** up: you might order the wrong boot or the wrong blade and those are non-refundable, so you would have wasted your money.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Thanks so much! I hope you didn't take my question to mean that I was planning to order online, especially after taking a fitter's time. That certainly would be unethical. It just makes me nervous that I would be spending $350-$450 just on boots without having ever tried on a pair (well... besides rentals of course), and have to just pray that it works out. But I'm glad I asked! Now I won't have to risk committing a faux pas with an uncommon request.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hello, sorry I have another question! So I spoke to the fitter over the phone since she's 2.5hrs away, and she said she doesn't keep anything my size in stock... I understand not wanting to order boots into the shop before measuring, but is it reasonable to ask to order some to try on (even if the width wouldn't fit)? If it's going by just measurements, it feels like I might as well just order them myself online.
It's time and effort. If the fitter is 2 1/2 hours you drive there and get measured. Sorry again, for someone with an odd size that's what you have to do. You can ask to order something that might fit, and if it doesn't you most likely have to pay a small restock charge. Unfortunately most just don't stock anything other than more common sizes. Fyi, one brand that offers more size options (and I don't know much about them other than that since my skater HATED the fit) is Riedell. They have wider options in some of their stock boots and their semi custom options are pretty broad and affordable.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Thanks so much. You all have been so kind and helpful! An update: I got super lucky and spoke with a coach from the next town over who was so kind and willing to help. She recommended a pro shop that carries stock of wide-width Jacksons I could try on (and other brands in regular width if needed)! The coach said the fitter I was originally going to is a fellow coach, not a real "skate tech". It's a farther drive of 4.5 hours each way, but seems like a good fitter if the coach trusts them enough to travel for a few hours. It's technically more time and effort, but I feel more comfortable going farther to get the right pair.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks so much. You all have been so kind and helpful! An update: I got super lucky and spoke with a coach from the next town over who was so kind and willing to help. She recommended a pro shop that carries stock of wide-width Jacksons I could try on (and other brands in regular width if needed)! The coach said the fitter I was originally going to is a fellow coach, not a real "skate tech". It's a farther drive of 4.5 hours each way, but seems like a good fitter if the coach trusts them enough to travel for a few hours. It's technically more time and effort, but I feel more comfortable going farther to get the right pair.
Sounds excellent! Ask the coaches, they are always happy to help. I'm sure there's going to be a rink nearby that you could get some practice time in on while you're there. Get an early start and you're home by dinner time.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree with everyone here. Go to a fitter. Maybe if you have a skate shop nearby. (just around before you go though, some shops aren't the best.) You need to try on the skates and see how they feel. Get good ones now, don't wait after you've hurt yourself because your boots didn't fit.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Fyi, one brand that offers more size options (and I don't know much about them other than that since my skater HATED the fit) is Riedell. They have wider options in some of their stock boots and their semi custom options are pretty broad and affordable.
I wear Riedell skates and they're great. They make skates for my feet, which are slightly weird shaped. They're really comfortable and fit me like a glove. Plus, they're pretty cheap. (Boots + Blades less than $200) You don't need to buy crazy expensive/totally custom skates unless you are a pro. I'm a semi-beginner (starting to learn single jumps).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wear Riedell skates and they're great. They make skates for my feet, which are slightly weird shaped. They're really comfortable and fit me like a glove. Plus, they're pretty cheap. (Boots + Blades less than $200) You don't need to buy crazy expensive/totally custom skates unless you are a pro. I'm a semi-beginner (starting to learn single jumps).
No one is suggesting that OP buy crazy expensive totally custom skates. If OP would happen to have a foot that requires a semi custom there is no way around that. Also, because of the skills they want to accomplish, and other factors (height, weight, being an adult etc) they will need a slightly stiffer boot than many of the boots and blades sets allow for. They have consulted me in a PM and are getting proper suggestions (yes even a Riedell). I would never lead someone wrong intentionally with skating boots/blades because I know what I'm doing and how important skating gear is. Also, others in this thread have made great suggestions. I'm not saying what you have for you isn't perfect, I'm just saying some of the advice included here with it is not true for all.

Last edited:

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
No one is suggesting that OP buy crazy expensive totally custom skates. If OP would happen to have a foot that requires a semi custom there is no way around that. Also, because of the skills they want to accomplish, and other factors (height, weight, being an adult etc) they will need a slightly stiffer boot than many of the boots and blades sets allow for. They have consulted me in a PM and are getting proper suggestions (yes even a Riedell). I would never lead someone wrong intentionally with skating boots/blades because I know what I'm doing and how important skating gear is. Also, others in this thread have made great suggestions. I'm not saying what you have for you isn't perfect, I'm just saying some of the advice included here with it is not true for all.
Yes, of course. I'm just using my personal experience. I'm making my own suggestion and I'm not attacking you. There is no one-size-fits-all. The post I was replying to said that they did not know much about Riedell skates and I was simply trying to offer my experience with Riedell skates. And obviously, if the foot requires it, there is no way around a custom skate. I never said that anyone was suggesting to buy crazy expensive totally custom skates, I was just saying that it's not necessary to, for a beginner. (In most cases.)

Also, I don't mean to sound rude here but who are you? You have said that you know what you're doing and others in this thread have mentioned you. Do you run a skate shop or something? (I'm not doubting your credentials, I'm just wondering)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was just saying that it's not necessary to, for a beginner. (In most cases.)
You'd be surprised how many people require semi-custom skates. Sometimes this can be hacked around with a good skate tech who can add padding or stretch out certain brands of skates, however without this technology (it's hard to find a tech who can do it well), so many people require semi-custom: anyone with a foot that is much wider than their heel who can't wear a Jackson, anyone with significantly different sized feet, anyone with a small heel, etc.
Also, I don't mean to sound rude here but who are you? You have said that you know what you're doing and others in this thread have mentioned you. Do you run a skate shop or something? (I'm not doubting your credentials, I'm just wondering)
Her user title says she's an elite and professional skater.