How are you watching figure skating (video, YouTube, streaming?) | Golden Skate

How are you watching figure skating (video, YouTube, streaming?)

NaVi

Medalist
How are you guys watching skating nowadays? It's getting harder to find videos on Youtube
Get a VPN (I use the free zenmate one on chrome) and you can find the international ISU events on youtube.

US events will still be a problem though. I usually watch them on TV or grab a free stream from one of the various shady sports stream sites.

There is still fsvids.net(which is kind of weird to sign up for) and rutracker has a figure skating section.

But really, Peacock Premium actually seems like a good deal for those that like watching TV since it comes with a lot of extra content for the same price of NBC Gold Figure Skating Pass. I just don't watch television enough to get anything out of it.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Get a VPN (I use the free zenmate one on chrome) and you can find the international ISU events on youtube.

US events will still be a problem though. I usually watch them on TV or grab a free stream from one of the various shady sports stream sites.

There is still fsvids.net(which is kind of weird to sign up for) and rutracker has a figure skating section.

But really, Peacock Premium actually seems like a good deal for those that like watching TV since it comes with a lot of extra content for the same price of NBC Gold Figure Skating Pass. I just don't watch television enough to get anything out of it.
I for one am pretty peeved I paid for the NBC Sports Gold pass only to get one US Nats for my trouble (I signed up in January, after the GP season.). And now the archived content is only available until the end of the year. Makes me hesitate to pay for Peacock because I have no confidence NBC won't change platforms on me again, and I'd have to pay for yet another new platform.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I for one am pretty peeved I paid for the NBC Sports Gold pass only to get one US Nats for my trouble (I signed up in January, after the GP season.). And now the archived content is only available until the end of the year. Makes me hesitate to pay for Peacock because I have no confidence NBC won't change platforms on me again, and I'd have to pay for yet another new platform.
Peacock you pay by the month $4.99. I signed up for free and got Skate America. Then I cancelled. I will probably sign-up and pay $4.99 for NHk and nationals. Then quit, then sign up for Worlds and quit. So I will pay about $15.00 until the fall.

macy

Record Breaker
i have xfinity internet and they are offering peacock for free so that worked out nice for me :) i really like it, it's easy to use and the coverage and quality were good. i do miss the commentators though (what if they asked Ted? :rock:)

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
i have xfinity internet and they are offering peacock for free so that worked out nice for me :) i really like it, it's easy to use and the coverage and quality were good. i do miss the commentators though (what if they asked Ted? :rock:)

Me too, although I don't miss commentating, but I'm loving that I have Peacock because I have Xfinity.

DC2003

Rinkside
How much content does Peacock have so far for figure skating? Do they have anything prior to the current season?

DC2003

Rinkside
Thanks for the update. I am hoping they will transfer over the NBC Sports Gold content to Peacock, but I am not terribly optimistic. Look what happened when IceNetwork went offline and all the years of events that disappeared then. It will be such a shame if the NBC Sports Gold content is lost in the new year especially since it will be some time before we will see competitions again the way they once were.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am very happy with Peacock. $10 a month for the skating months, and if I watched TV, and were into lots of sports, there is alot to see sans commericals. It is a $4 Billion dollar gamble for NBC in the streaming wars.....I for one dont mind paying $10 a month for not having to fast forward through commercials and not having to listen to commentary during the performances. I doubt that we will see past competitions archived somewhere again. If you think about it, we are very odd people to the networks....who would want to sit down in front of the TV and say, "Ohhhh...lets watch that 2004 Worlds downhill skiing comp again!!!"

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
NBC should allow NBC Gold subscribers (especially those with auto renewal) to have unlimited, indefinite access to the archival content that we actually paid for!!! How can any of us find time to view all the archived content we'd like to access or review on that platform in the space of a few months?! And even then, we as fans, had to actually complain before they re-allowed us access to the archives till end of December. The greedy a$$hats! :mad:

I'm beyond disgusted and tired of these conglomerates constantly squeezing fans for money and more money with diminishing return value! SMH! It's shameful that we can no longer find substantive figure skating coverage on YouTube without VPN intervention. It doesn't bode well for the sport's growth and for reaching new audiences either. That's a fact.

I get why they are offering the new figure skating package with additional TV content on the Peacock platform, because no one had any clue how much actual figure skating would be on offer this season. Signing up for Peacock has not been the greatest deal, since I too do not watch a lot of television. I signed up for figure skating, and honestly, I do not like the bonehead difficulty in navigating and locating the figure skating content, and the fact that there's no commentary available on Peacock is disappointing. U.S. Fan zone's replacement Ice Desk coverage has also been exceedingly lame. It seems like the sport is dying before our eyes, IMHO.

I get what you are saying @CoyoteChris. But in actuality, Peacock so far isn't that great a deal in comparison to all that we got on Ice Network for less (notwithstanding the poor quality streams by virtue of MLB not valuing skating fans nor understanding figure skating at all). NBC Gold was a better quality stream, but we didn't get medal ceremonies, press conferences, or backstage interviews.

The other part of this is that if you enjoy other sports like tennis, baseball, etc., you actually have to make choices of what you value the most, because unless you have unlimited wealth and time, how can you pay to see everything you might want to watch? Everybody in arts, sports, charities, politics, YouTuber channels, etc. wants your money. And it never ends. I guess it's a matter of figuring out all of the technology and trying to find the best deals, best hookups, etc., that fit in with your fandom interests and your lifestyle. It's a lot. I end up focusing mostly on skating and a few other arts and intellectual interests. I no longer for many years have been able to keep up with tennis and baseball. I missed a lot of the 2014 Olympics events that weren't televised, though I paid for YouTube TV in 2018 and thus I was able to get more dedicated Olympics coverage that year, particularly for figure skating.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Crystal clear video, no commercials.
You have to pay extra for no commercial interruptions.

Peacock you pay by the month $4.99. I signed up for free and got Skate America. Then I cancelled. I will probably sign-up and pay $4.99 for NHk and nationals. Then quit, then sign up for Worlds and quit. So I will pay about $15.00 until the fall.
Do you think they will allow you to keep signing up and quitting? I doubt it.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
In the U.S., I have recently been watching the Grand Prix events on NBC's Olympic Channel which I get as part of a Digital Specials package with my cable TV subscription. However, the Digital Specials Package costs me $13 per month which is more than Peacock. Each event does get repeated several times so I can watch it at my convenience.