How Karen Magnussen's FS Teaching Career was Ruined

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps some of the issue is that she might have been, as so many coaches are, an independent contractor? That is, from a legal point of view, she was self- employed? I do not know how this works in Canada?

When you are self-employed in the US, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to collect for disability or unemployment. What is still more annoying about this situation in the US is that you have to pay Unemployment tax, both the employee's and employer's side, if you are an independent contractor, but you still can never collect on it.

peg

Medalist
Perhaps some of the issue is that she might have been, as so many coaches are, an independent contractor? That is, from a legal point of view, she was self- employed? I do not know how this works in Canada?

When you are self-employed in the US, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to collect for disability or unemployment. What is still more annoying about this situation in the US is that you have to pay Unemployment tax, both the employee's and employer's side, if you are an independent contractor, but you still can never collect on it.

I'm not 100% sure how that works with regard to Workers Compensation, but my first thought is that if she was not an employee, she could have sued the rink. The article specifically said she could not sue because employees cannot sue their employers.

In any case, it's an incredibly sad situation.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is horrific treatment of a woman who is a national athletic hero, and more importantly, a hero to the children she saved to the detriment of her own health.

peg

Medalist
This is horrific treatment of a woman who is a national athletic hero, and more importantly, a hero to the children she saved to the detriment of her own health.

Yup. especially that second part. She probably wouldn't have had nearly the degree of damage to her lungs if she hadn't ensured all the kids were out safely.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Very heroic of her. I hope she can recover and is given the financial compensation she so deserves. I didn't quite understand but is the benefit to help her or other skaters. Too bad skaters like Rochette or Chan or even Sandhu from Canada wouldn''t participate. I am sure that would have helped ticket sales.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://www.skatecanada.ca/2015/02/connaught-skating-club-offers-karen-magnussen-a-helping-hand/

According to this article from Skate Canada, Karen will receive the proceeds.

Credit for the show should go to Ted Barton of the BC Section, and Keegan Murphy of the Connaught Club. Magnussen's former club is not involved. Connaught is another BC club at a different rink from the one where the ammonia leak occurred.

To have everything taken away from her is tragic,” said Ted Barton, Executive Director of the B.C. Section of Skate Canada. The section decided to take action, and when it discovered that the Connaught Club had once offered a charity fund-raising show, Barton approached them.

Connaught skating director Keegan Murphy, whose mother Eileen had been a close friend to Magnussen, jumped at the chance. “We always want to teach the younger generation that we can give something back to someone with our skating,” Murphy said. “We are honored to do such an important project.”

It is ironic that the only high profile skater who has associated himself with this fund raising effort is Dick Button, an American.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Very heroic of her. I hope she can recover and is given the financial compensation she so deserves. I didn't quite understand but is the benefit to help her or other skaters. Too bad skaters like Rochette or Chan or even Sandhu from Canada wouldn''t participate. I am sure that would have helped ticket sales.

Did you mean to say "wouldn't" or "couldn't"? I can understand current competing athletes sitting this one out if they're preparing for worlds (e.g. W/P, D/R, I/M, Nam, Gabby), but maybe they were not approached? It seems like a local skating club putting on a show, but now it's attracted attention in the skating community at large. So perhaps they just weren't asked due to it starting as a small venture rather than Stars on Ice? That arena doesn't seem very big.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
What I don't understand is why she's not getting benefits from Workers' Compensation. The one article even said the rink had failed several health and safety inspections, so you'd think it should be a clear-cut case. She was obviously injured at work, which should be enough to qualify. And the fact that the rink was known to be lax in its safety procedures should just add weight to her claim.

So you're supposed to fill put a for of you get a band-aid for a papercut <snort - not happening> in case of lawsuit, but you can't sue for lung damage? Brilliant logic.

Mafke

Medalist
This is just a massive disgrace and a huge mark of shame for Canada that she is dependent on charity....

This makes me hate Canada, it's horrible social insurance and Canadian skaters (not rational, but that's my first emotional reaction).

CarolR

Spectator
This is just a massive disgrace and a huge mark of shame for Canada that she is dependent on charity....

This makes me hate Canada, it's horrible social insurance and Canadian skaters (not rational, but that's my first emotional reaction).

That is the most ridiculous, juvenile comment I have read on here in a long time. Are you Canadian and what do you know about our social "insurance" which I presume you mean our universal healthcare system which in case you may want to know, most of us wouldn't have it any other way. And to say you hate Canadian skaters??? Are they all horrible people? Unbelievable.

el henry

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I am American and I have no idea what you mean or what you are talking about. Unless you are Canadian, you are in no position to talk about their social insurance, and you certainly can't tell anything about their WC system from one article. And hate Canadian skaters????:confused: You are right about one thing, that's not rational.

I remember watching Karen Magnussen skate in the Olys, she was so much fun to watch, and my prayers go to her and for recovery of her health.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Yeah, are you done yet?

Now, back to discussing Karen Magnussen, what's happened to her and how we can constructively contribute and help her.

Mafke

Medalist
Yeah, are you done yet?

I'm not sure, I might need to vent some more. I blurted out my first raw emotions. It's hard to read the accounts and not hate a system that has clearly failed Ms Magnussen (and which will continue to fail her).

And the Canadian skating establishment at large does not seem to be stepping up much either. It's great that this one benefit will happen but it's a drop in the bucket.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm not sure, I might need to vent some more. I blurted out my first raw emotions. It's hard to read the accounts and not hate a system that has clearly failed Ms Magnussen (and which will continue to fail her).

And the Canadian skating establishment at large does not seem to be stepping up much either. It's great that this one benefit will happen but it's a drop in the bucket.

I hear ya. Hearing her story made me angry too. I'm still outraged. Let's focus on how we can help. I've made a donation. I know it's not much but I hope it helps.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This has been going on for 3 years.

Kudos to Ted Barton for stepping up, but why isn't anyone else helping? Is there some story we just don't know about?

If this happened (a national figure is critically injured doing something heroic when 60 years old, and as a result is in physical and financial hardship, and no one cares?) in Ontario, would things be different?

Why didn't Skate Canada step up and run a benefit? Their article is very nice, but what are they thinking? BC is too far away or something?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Did you mean to say "wouldn't" or "couldn't"? I can understand current competing athletes sitting this one out if they're preparing for worlds (e.g. W/P, D/R, I/M, Nam, Gabby), but maybe they were not approached? It seems like a local skating club putting on a show, but now it's attracted attention in the skating community at large. So perhaps they just weren't asked due to it starting as a small venture rather than Stars on Ice? That arena doesn't seem very big.

oops I meant it would be great if somehow some of Canada's former champions or current could / would participate. But they may have not know, been invited - it sounds more like a local thing but some big name skater would help sales.

anyanka

Record Breaker
oops I meant it would be great if somehow some of Canada's former champions or current could / would participate. But they may have not know, been invited - it sounds more like a local thing but some big name skater would help sales.

OK. I didn't think there was anything malicious in what you originally said. :)

Connaught's ice show is a biannual event. There would be a show whether or not they'd decided to turn it into a charity event. Also, you can donate. There's a a link for donations on the same page as the ticket sale. Also, I don't think it's really that surprising no former or current champions are participating. Very few people train in BC. I think only Kevin Reynolds trains in the area. Other then that, it's mostly some junior skaters and some coaches.

peg

Medalist
Connaught's ice show is a biannual event. There would be a show whether or not they'd decided to turn it into a charity event. Also, you can donate. There's a a link for donations on the same page as the ticket sale. Also, I don't think it's really that surprising no former or current champions are participating. Very few people train in BC. I think only Kevin Reynolds trains in the area. Other then that, it's mostly some junior skaters and some coaches.

I think Jeremy Ten also trains in Vancouver, doesn't he?

But I agree with your broader point. This seems to be a regular local show and it probably didn't even occur to them to ask higher profile skaters to appear.