Hungary withdraws from hosting 2024 European Championships | Golden Skate

Hungary withdraws from hosting 2024 European Championships

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

"Due to the protracted war in our country's neighbourhood, its impact on the economy and the energy prices that significantly affect skating, after lengthy consideration MOKSZ (the federation) is withdrawing from the organisation of the 2024 Figure Skating and Ice Dance European Championships," said a statement on the federation's website.

Since the best skaters in Europe: Adam SHF, Kévin, Deniss, Matteo, Lukas, as well as Sara and Niccolò and Charlène and Marco and Lilah and Lewis and so many Czech ID teams, will be there, it should be an opportunity for another European city to host.:clap:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Given the state their federation is reportedly in, perhaps it's for the best. Or maybe the general Hungarian public wouldn't like it if they watched EC on TV or paid to come see it, and found out all 'their' skaters are actually Russians that switched not that recently? (except for Nagy, if he and Liu are ready by EC) Too bad Hungarian Fed treatment drove Papp out (and likely others).

I hope a suitable new host country is found.

We don't even know if the Russians will or will not be participating, so why assume. It's true Pairs looks a wee bleak for European countries (same for Asian countries sans one outstanding JPN pair), but there are still names that can draw people in other categories. Myself, if I lived nearby, I would happily come to see Fa, Rizzo, Aymoz, Britshgi, Memola and Vasiljevs in men, and a whole lot of women and ice dance couples including the debuting ones like Bekker/Hernandez, or new partnerships like Smart/Dieck. Of course, chances are that I'll be saving money to see Sota if he gets sent to Europe, but if he doesn't, and if EC was held in a neighboring country and the prices were favorable, or if my country itself volunteered to host, I would like to come, watch, and cheer. And I believe there are more like me. And if there was no cost of living crisis, even more people would come. It's not all about a certain nation being or not being there.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
UK would be good also. I don't even remember when they have hosted EC. They did great job when hosting GP.

Last time was 2012, in Sheffield. I looked into going because a lot of my favourite skaters were competing, but decided that it would work out too expensive.

And I have regretted that decision ever since.

Honestly, I can't see the UK taking these Euros on. Figure skating is an obscure sport in these islands, and you saw how many empty seats there were at the GP. The tickets were simply too expensive. And because Europeans have a lot more skaters competing than the GP, no doubt the tickets would cost a lot more too. In the months since the GP, the cost of living crisis has got a lot worse. In the current economic climate, the British Fed will not get anywhere near enough people through the doors to cover the costs of hosting Euros.

I know we are hosting Eurovision at the moment, but it is different as it gets lots of people attending from all over Europe (and the world). And although the figure skating would get overseas visitors, I don't think there would be enough to make it viable.

CaroLiza_fan

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Given the state their federation is reportedly in, perhaps it's for the best. Or maybe the general Hungarian public wouldn't like it if they watched EC on TV or paid to come see it, and found out all 'their' skaters are actually Russians that switched not that recently? (except for Nagy, if he and Liu are ready by EC) Too bad Hungarian Fed treatment drove Papp out (and likely others).

I hope a suitable new host country is found.

We don't even know if the Russians will or will not be participating, so why assume. It's true Pairs looks a wee bleak for European countries (same for Asian countries sans one outstanding JPN pair), but there are still names that can draw people in other categories. Myself, if I lived nearby, I would happily come to see Fa, Rizzo, Aymoz, Britshgi, Memola and Vasiljevs in men, and a whole lot of women and ice dance couples including the debuting ones like Bekker/Hernandez, or new partnerships like Smart/Dieck. Of course, chances are that I'll be saving money to see Sota if he gets sent to Europe, but if he doesn't, and if EC was held in a neighboring country and the prices were favorable, or if my country itself volunteered to host, I would like to come, watch, and cheer. And I believe there are more like me. And if there was no cost of living crisis, even more people would come. It's not all about a certain nation being or not being there.
Yep, and also the hullaballoo surrounding Julia Sebestyen's coaching (which may or may not be linked to the infighting going on in the Hungarian federation relating to the pro-Russian Armenian head and whoever is on the other side).

I'm sure there is more going on behind the scenes, but these scraps of information we get filtering out of Hungary aren't painting a promising picture. I doubt they are forgoing Euros for profit reasons - they're too busy with internal political struggles to make that sort of calculated decision.

Thinking from the POV of the current fed president - as Euros host, his close ties with Russia could be leveraged (by him or them) to add more pressure to the ISU to allow them to compete. Maybe his opponents don't want to give him this power? Or maybe he doesn't want to be caught in the awkward position of being openly 'used' by them?

Also, energy costs and security concerns are perfectly valid reasons (Hungary has rules restricting heating to max 18 degrees in schools, shares a direct border with Ukraine and took in a lot of refugees). F1 has always been more profitable than figure skating so not a surprise that it's going ahead.

I feel like Italy should jump at the opportunity, especially considering how much hardware they are likely to bring home.
Yes! They've had a lot of events lately though, a bit like Tallinn. Maybe Czech Republic or Austria? Convenient replacements for Hungary in terms of location (Central Europe).
Come to think of it Germany has not hosted Euros in ages.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
The other applicants with Budapest 24 were
Minsk
Sofia
Zagreb
Ostrava
Bratislava

Zagreb's hosting 2025, so they'll probably not want to do two in a row. Minsk is out for obvious reasons. Sofia, Ostrava and Bratislava were willing and able to host and put together a bid including logistics and all, so asking them first would make the most sense, I think.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Last time was 2012, in Sheffield. I looked into going because a lot of my favourite skaters were competing, but decided that it would work out too expensive.

Honestly, I can't see the UK taking these Euros on. Figure skating is an obscure sport in these islands, and you saw how many empty seats there were at the GP. The tickets were simply too expensive. And because Europeans have a lot more skaters competing than the GP, no doubt the tickets would cost a lot more too. In the months since the GP, the cost of living crisis has got a lot worse. In the current economic climate, the British Fed will not get anywhere near enough people through the doors to cover the costs of hosting Euros.

I know we are hosting Eurovision at the moment, but it is different as it gets lots of people attending from all over Europe (and the world). And although the figure skating would get overseas visitors, I don't think there would be enough to make it viable.

CaroLiza_fan
If they get the bigger venue, tickers will be cheaper. Afaik the empty seats were mainly down to people buying all event passes, and then only going to some of the events (as tickets were almost all sold out)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Both Bratislava and Ostrava would be interesting for me as it's just 4-5 hours away for me by train... hmmm... and I've never been to Ostrava. Considered going the year they hosted EC, checked out hotel prices, and noped out quickly in favor of Finlandia where I got better value and a wider selection for my money. But perhaps things have changed since then.

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

CaroLiza_fan
I went to the 2012 Europeans in Sheffield, it was in the Motorpoint Arena which is a lot bigger, from what I remember it was pretty well attended, although they always seem to reserve a lot of seats that don't seem to get used. Not sure the UK would be able to host the Europeans at such short notice as they would need to book the arena. I can't wait for the 2026 Europeans, wish we could hold a World Championship, we have't had one since 1994.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who's hosting 4CC that year? Maybe they could double up like Estonia did, and host both. Of course the arena would have to be available, but this is a major event happening next year, and starting from scratch might be difficult.

Weathergal

Medalist
Minsk
Sofia
Zagreb
Ostrava
Bratislava

Zagreb's hosting 2025, so they'll probably not want to do two in a row. Minsk is out for obvious reasons. Sofia, Ostrava and Bratislava were willing and able to host and put together a bid including logistics and all, so asking them first would make the most sense, I think.
I remember hearing very good things about Euros when Bratislava hosted it. I agree that Sofia, Ostrava, and Bratislava make the most sense. I'd also love to see it in Italy, France, or especially Germany. Italy hasn't hosted since 2005 in Turin; France hasn't hosted since 2006 in Lyon; and Germany hasn't hosted since 1995 in Dortmund. But considering that the German Fed has tightened up funding for its skaters for the next season, that doesn't seem too likely.

Weathergal

Medalist
Who's hosting 4CC that year? Maybe they could double up like Estonia did, and host both. Of course the arena would have to be available, but this is a major event happening next year, and starting from scratch might be difficult.
Shanghai.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
There are good reason to empty seats even when the arena is sold out. I learned this during EC in Finland. Once sector is reserved for press. And they learned, they don't sell seats on the seats when they might be something disturbing like big cameras cover the sight. This happened during WC and people complained. Some people who has chosen their seats behind judges had to chance places at GP when judges computers covered a part of the arena. Some seats are reserved for skaters and their teams. So it is understandable journalist choose competitions when their country's own skaters are on the rink and maybe the final groups. Also all skatersw with the teams do not come to watch everything. And for example I did not sit a single minute at my reserved seat during FD at Finland's EC because I got a table from the restaurant and as the kitchen was closed before I was finished, I sat all the time at my table with a couple of ladies whom I did not know before who came to same table as there was room, and they too did not go to their seats. I would have bought all-event-ticket for EC if it would have cheaper than buy individual ones, but still would have skipped the first day but it was not cheaper. I bought all-event for GP including gala, but then skipped gala because or train's schedule.

Italy hasn't hosted since 2005 in Turin; France hasn't hosted since 2006 in Lyon; and Germany hasn't hosted since 1995 in Dortmund.
Oh it is long time when France, Italy or German has hosted. Have they even applied? In this case I would imagine any of them would easily get chosen to host EC if they just apply.

hanca

Record Breaker
Minsk
Sofia
Zagreb
Ostrava
Bratislava

Czechia got worlds in 2026, so I doubt that they would want Europeans two years before that. So I think realistically Ostrava is out.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
I remember hearing very good things about Euros when Bratislava hosted it. I agree that Sofia, Ostrava, and Bratislava make the most sense. I'd also love to see it in Italy, France, or especially Germany. Italy hasn't hosted since 2005 in Turin; France hasn't hosted since 2006 in Lyon; and Germany hasn't hosted since 1995 in Dortmund. But considering that the German Fed has tightened up funding for its skaters for the next season, that doesn't seem too likely.
Germany (Essen) has applied for hosting Euros in 2027, afaik.
Czechia got worlds in 2026, so I doubt that they would want Europeans two years before that. So I think realistically Ostrava is out.
You're right. I forgot about Prague 26.