hurting soles and no support; new boots | Golden Skate

hurting soles and no support; new boots

muzichips

Rinkside
Hi! I'm an almost 16 y/o , average ish height but on the heavier side than girls my age. I went back on the ice last summer after a 3 year long break, but because I did synchro before I quit I'm only doing singles and the basic spins, although progressing quickly! I'm working on axels and combination spins, and I'm already almost there. I have pretty deep edges because of my synchro carreer. I'm currently in Edea Overture, but I've had several issues with them.

- I have broken them down in less than 6 months. I didn't expect them to last me forever but this was a little faster than anticipated
- Even before I broke them down, I didn't feel like I had enough support when jumping and doing steps, lately I've had to tie them so super tight (even at the top) to even to keep my balance. And from what I know, this isn't how it's supposed to be.
- You know that feeling when you've walked several hours, hiking for example, and your feet hurt at their soles? I get that kind of pain after a few minutes of skating, especially if I skate on 1 foot for a long time (spins and steps)
- Sometimes it feels like the Edeas are too wide for me. It's not that my feet are falling out of them, but a less extreme version of it.

I'm planning to keep skating for many years, so I'd rather invest in a little bit of a stiffer boot than have to buy new ones every year. I definitely am getting new blades (currently stock blades from edea), the CorAce is what I'll probably get. I don't think I wanna continue wearing Edeas, so I'm considering Risports and maybe Jacksons. I will get fitted and try on different skates, but only in May ish. So I've been doing my own research on boots to know what to consider. My current picks are risport rf3pro, risport royal pro and maybe elite(because I broke my boots down so fast and am afraid my new ones will be the same), Jackson fs2800 premiere fusion and Jackson debut fusion firm fs2450. Where I live no one sells riedells, grafs or other brands I didn't mention, so I don't have the opportunity to try them on and thus don't consider them at all. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Last edited:

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the reason your overtures broke down so fast is because they didn't fit your feet properly. You definitely won't need a risport elite or any other equivalent when doing single jumps. Make sure to get properly fitted for your next boots. If you describe your foot shape, width and arch type a more experienced and knowledgeable member of the forum might be able to recommend you a specific brand or model of boot

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I'm an almost 16 y/o , average ish height but on the heavier side than girls my age. I went back on the ice last summer after a 3 year long break, but because I did synchro before I quit I'm only doing singles and the basic spins, although progressing quickly! I'm working on axels and combination spins, and I'm already almost there. I have pretty deep edges because of my synchro carreer. I'm currently in Edea Overture, but I've had several issues with them.

- I have broken them down in less than 6 months. I didn't expect them to last me forever but this was a little faster than anticipated
- Even before I broke them down, I didn't feel like I had enough support when jumping and doing steps, lately I've had to tie them so super tight (even at the top) to even to keep my balance. And from what I know, this isn't how it's supposed to be.
- You know that feeling when you've walked several hours, hiking for example, and your feet hurt at their soles? I get that kind of pain after a few minutes of skating, especially if I skate on 1 foot for a long time (spins and steps)
- Sometimes it feels like the Edeas are too wide for me. It's not that my feet are falling out of them, but a less extreme version of it.

I'm planning to keep skating for many years, so I'd rather invest in a little bit of a stiffer boot than have to buy new ones every year. I definitely am getting new blades (currently stock blades from edea), the CorAce is what I'll probably get. I don't think I wanna continue wearing Edeas, so I'm considering Risports and maybe Jacksons. I will get fitted and try on different skates, but only in May ish. So I've been doing my own research on boots to know what to consider. My current picks are risport rf3pro, risport royal pro and maybe elite(because I broke my boots down so fast and am afraid my new ones will be the same), Jackson fs2800 premiere fusion and Jackson debut fusion firm fs2450. Where I live no one sells riedells, grafs or other brands I didn't mention, so I don't have the opportunity to try them on and thus don't consider them at all. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Your feet more than likely changed when you gained weight I'm presuming and they do that anyway as we age. So that could be the first issue. The second is you don't sound like you belong in an Edea to begin with.

Try the Risport but DO NOT try the elite, that's TOO stiff and advanced for you, as they're rated for triples and quads. I used to wear them when competing elite international doing triple triples.
Try the Royal Pro, normally I would suggest rf3 for someone your level, but since you mentioned weight Royal Pro should be perfect. Now that is only if Risport even works for you at all.
From experience I'm calling it---Jackson is going to be the brand that works best for you. You hit all the checkmarks in your description of yourself and what's going on.

ETA: If Jackson does work for you, you may consider getting them to do a semi custom boot for you. That would fit your unique foot needs better as well as custom stiffness rating (You're needing and in between stiffness) that many stock boots don't have.

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The arch pain should improve with better fitting, but it might not go away. There are so many causes of arch pain and it isn't always solely caused by badly fitting boots. If it doesn't completely go away from better fitting boots after a couple weeks of breaking them in, see a doctor as they can determine what the problem is and if it has a solution or if you'll have to just deal with it (sadly the latter is what I have to do).

Sibelius

On the Ice
Your feet more than likely changed when you gained weight I'm presuming and they do that anyway as we age. So that could be the first issue. The second is you don't sound like you belong in an Edea to begin with.

Try the Risport but DO NOT try the elite, that's TOO stiff and advanced for you, as they're rated for triples and quads. I used to wear them when competing elite international doing triple triples.
Try the Royal Pro, normally I would suggest rf3 for someone your level, but since you mentioned weight Royal Pro should be perfect. Now that is only if Risport even works for you at all.
From experience I'm calling it---Jackson is going to be the brand that works best for you. You hit all the checkmarks in your description of yourself and what's going on.

ETA: If Jackson does work for you, you may consider getting them to do a semi custom boot for you. That would fit your unique foot needs better as well as custom stiffness rating (You're needing and in between stiffness) that many stock boots don't have.
I've asked Jackson, and any modification to the upper (such as changing stiffness) is considered a full custom and starts at $949.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've asked Jackson, and any modification to the upper (such as changing stiffness) is considered a full custom and starts at $949.
Yes, I failed to mention that part.

muzichips

Rinkside

Thank you for your advice! Imagine if I get the royal pro's but later on I lose a little bit of weight, would they become too stiff for me? Or does it not matter as much if I'll already have them broken in? Because my weightgain is all hormonal and therefore could fluctuate (up and down) in the future, I'm scared to commit to a skate stiffness because of this. How much do semi custom jacksons cost on average? I assume you can get fitted for them in any pro shop that sells jacksons but it's been a while since I've actually been there (only for drop off and pick up sharpening)

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thank you for your advice! Imagine if I get the royal pro's but later on I lose a little bit of weight, would they become too stiff for me? Or does it not matter as much if I'll already have them broken in? Because my weightgain is all hormonal and therefore could fluctuate (up and down) in the future, I'm scared to commit to a skate stiffness because of this. How much do semi custom jacksons cost on average? I assume you can get fitted for them in any pro shop that sells jacksons but it's been a while since I've actually been there (only for drop off and pick up sharpening)
Jackson semi customs (Rapid Custom in Jackson terms) cost about $50 and up per change (width, tongue, sole). There's not really that much they can do in the Rapid Custom beyond those, and the width changes are limited. My skater got a rapid custom C ball/A heel in her last boot. The real flexibility comes at the full custom level, which as I noted starts at $949. We are a few weeks away from ordering a new full custom pair. That's where larger width adjustments, padding adjustments, stiffness adjustments as well as sole and heel height adjustments can be made. We're a little trepidatious about it, but considering the stock Jackson we would get is $750, another $200 for a full custom isn't that much of a leap.

muzichips

Rinkside
Jackson semi customs (Rapid Custom in Jackson terms) cost about $50 and up per change (width, tongue, sole). There's not really that much they can do in the Rapid Custom beyond those, and the width changes are limited. My skater got a rapid custom C ball/A heel in her last boot. The real flexibility comes at the full custom level, which as I noted starts at $949. We are a few weeks away from ordering a new full custom pair. That's where larger width adjustments, padding adjustments, stiffness adjustments as well as sole and heel height adjustments can be made. We're a little trepidatious about it, but considering the stock Jackson we would get is $750, another $200 for a full custom isn't that much of a leap.
Yeahh that makes a lot of sense! Although I don't think full customs are anywhere near my price range Where I live regular stock skates cost less than in the states/canada, so my range is about 200-500 EU which would be I think 400-800 dollars in the states/canada (not too accurate, based on a few webshop prices I've seen) , which is way under that 1k price for customs.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Ooh, keep us posted on how it goes and how she feels! I'm interested in full customs eventually (current boots will probably last another season of regular use). My fitter says I have certain fit/cut/stiffness needs which semi-custom won't fully address.

Will they measure your skater's feet with a 3D scanner? I saw it mentioned on the Jackson website, but wasn't sure if it's something they routinely use.

muzichips

Rinkside
How much is "a little bit" to you?
I'm currently trying to get back to what I weighed before my hormonal gain (medication caused). I was around 60 kg, I'm now 65+- so about 5 kg's is what I hope to lose this year, healthily of course.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm currently trying to get back to what I weighed before my hormonal gain (medication caused). I was around 60 kg, I'm now 65+- so about 5 kg's is what I hope to lose this year, healthily of course.
5kg (11lbs) will not impact anything at all. I've gained/lost way more than that throughout my skating career and I promise it will not make much of a difference at all. That's such a small amount in the way forces act when jumping or skating. To put it in perspective, 2 to 3 kg is fairly normal for a daily fluctuation.

muzichips

Rinkside
5kg (11lbs) will not impact anything at all. I've gained/lost way more than that throughout my skating career and I promise it will not make much of a difference at all. That's such a small amount in the way forces act when jumping or skating. To put it in perspective, 2 to 3 kg is fairly normal for a daily fluctuation.
Oh okay thank you! How much gain/loss is what would potentially impact your skating (if you know)? I'm just curious

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh okay thank you! How much gain/loss is what would potentially impact your skating (if you know)? I'm just curious
That's a really hard topic to discuss and you're fitter will know best, but it's nowhere close to 5kg, I can tell you that.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Every body is different.
I absolutely know that when I'm up 10 lbs it harder to skate - especially jump. Also, once I took off 10 lbs moves in the field got easier too.
My body moves a lot easier when there is less body to move around!