I would love to learn how to skate. | Golden Skate

I would love to learn how to skate.

josh545

Spectator
I’m 21 I’m male I’ve never ice skated in my life and I’m quite fat would it be possible to learn how to skate I’m willing to put the effort in, I went once when I was younger hated it I was so unsteady. But I need to express myself I keep watching Torvill and dean I’m obsessed. I don’t wanna do tricks just be able to zoom around.

Ic3Rabbit

Patineuse élite et professionnelle
Record Breaker
Country
Scotland
I’m 21 I’m male I’ve never ice skated in my life and I’m quite fat would it be possible to learn how to skate I’m willing to put the effort in, I went once when I was younger hated it I was so unsteady. But I need to express myself I keep watching Torvill and dean I’m obsessed. I don’t wanna do tricks just be able to zoom around.
Find out if there is a rink in your area with adult learn to skate classes, get fit for entry level skates and be aware you need stronger ones if you are a larger adult (this is important don't let a hockey person/shop do it) because you don't want to use the rental skates either because they are horrible. Skating is great exercise and fun!

Good luck and welcome to the sport! :)

@mods this needs to move to Lutz Corner please. :)

MiraiFan

On the Ice
I hated it as a kid too and fell in love with it in my 40s. It's never too late.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Welcome to the forum! :)

@Ic3Rabbit is right on - go to a good fitter to get skates that are right for you, and see if you can find adult Learn to Skate classes in your area. There are folks from all over the world on this forum - if you're comfortable sharing what country you live in, we can probably help you with finding a good fitter and/or classes near you!

I'm a heavy-set guy and I took up skating seriously in my 30s. I skated as a kid as well, with no formal training (only difference is that I loved it, lol!). If you're just interested in learning the basics, you'll find that with proper instruction you can pick them up fairly quickly if you get in enough practice. When I first started, I could already do basic forward stroking, snowplow stops, and forward crossovers, so I had to put some work in to learn my basic edges and backwards skating. Within a year or so, I was doing one foot turns and waltz jumps confidently!

I also had to work on balance, and on strengthening some of the smaller muscle groups in my legs (I powerlift, so my quads, glutes and hamstrings were already in decent shape - but skating really challenged my hip flexors and adductors). If you skate regularly and do some off-ice strengthening and conditioning, it'll help immensely. Yoga was super helpful for me, and I skated 2 - 4 hours a week at minimum.

Let us know if you have any other questions, and hope this is helpful in getting you started on achieving your goals!