Ice Dance - Rhythm Dance 2022/23 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Rhythm Dance 2022/23

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
When/where are the ISU Rhythm Dance Guidelines for the upcoming season generally published? Although Communication #2346 from the ISU re: the rhythms and pattern for this season is dated 9/3/2020, I can't seem to find the one for 22/23, but surely it's out there somewhere by now?? No doubt the fault is mine, but if anyone can direct me to next season's document, I'd be grateful. :thank: I'm so enjoying this season, but already thinking about next year!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I've had a bit of a look on the ISU communications section and can't find anything either. I wonder if they'll wait until after ISU Congress to make a decision, as some changes to the rules may be made there?

Personally, I really hope that, whichever pattern they choose, we get closer to the full version (as in the 2018/19 season) rather than a tiny section (like this season). I'd love to see them pick the golden waltz, it hasn't made an appearance since the 2010/11 season and I think there's only 1 couple still competing who skated it then (Guignard/Fabbri, who were a brand new team then!). Although, there are also a few skaters who performed it with different partners who are likely to still be competing next season (Chock, Bates, Sorensen, Allison Reed)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I looked, too, and couldn't find it -- I just really want to take a deeper dive into understanding ID, especially learning what each RD is supposed to look like in terms of pattern, tempo, mood, etc. Thanks for replying, @GoneWithTheWind ! Surely we'll get the info from ISU soon.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
It is unusually late for there to be no announcement, which makes me wonder if they’re considering doing the inaugural season of the Maple Leaf March… since they wouldn’t want to confirm that until Gilles/Poirier are officially retired since G/P created that pattern and it can’t be used in seniors while they’re still active.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
It is unusually late for there to be no announcement, which makes me wonder if they’re considering doing the inaugural season of the Maple Leaf March… since they wouldn’t want to confirm that until Gilles/Poirier are officially retired since G/P created that pattern and it can’t be used in seniors while they’re still active.
I think I read somewhere that it was going to be the Juniors pattern for what should've been the 2020/21 season when they kept the previous one instead? So maybe they'll use it for the Jrs. next season?

Weathergal

Medalist
Which program did they create this for?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Time out, what's the Maple Leaf March?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am no expert but the ISU commissions a new rhythm dances to be created by skaters and their coaches. Past examples have included the Golden Waltz by Kimova/Ponomarenko.

Per Wikipedia:
In 2016, the ISU added three new pattern dances for the 2018–2022 Olympic cycle. These dances were: the March, created by ice dancers Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier, along with their coaches Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs; the Foxtrot, created by Natalia Kaliszek and Maksim Spodirev and their coach Sylwia Nowak-Trebacka; and the Rhumba d'Amor, created by Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean in 1993 and performed for the first time at the 1994 European Championships in Helsinki.[16].

From CBC:
In a couple of years, Poirier and Gilles will have one of the partial patterns — called The Maple Leaf — that they did in one of their programs become a compulsory dance in International Skating Union competitions, a rare acknowledgment among skaters.

Weathergal

Medalist
I am no expert but the ISU commissions a new rhythm dances to be created by skaters and their coaches. Past examples have included the Golden Waltz by Kimova/Ponomarenko.

Per Wikipedia:
In 2016, the ISU added three new pattern dances for the 2018–2022 Olympic cycle. These dances were: the March, created by ice dancers Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier, along with their coaches Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs; the Foxtrot, created by Natalia Kaliszek and Maksim Spodirev and their coach Sylwia Nowak-Trebacka; and the Rhumba d'Amor, created by Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean in 1993 and performed for the first time at the 1994 European Championships in Helsinki.[16].

From CBC:
In a couple of years, Poirier and Gilles will have one of the partial patterns — called The Maple Leaf — that they did in one of their programs become a compulsory dance in International Skating Union competitions, a rare acknowledgment among skaters.
Thanks for the info. I like that the three new dances are from a wide variety of ice dance teams. It sounds like the dances themselves could be quite different as well.