Ideas on temp fix for padding in skate? | Golden Skate

Ideas on temp fix for padding in skate?

Elija

On the Ice
Hi everyone, I keep getting blisters in the same spot on the inside of my left heel, and have just now realised it’s because there is a hole in the boot’s padding in that spot- the padding is completely worn away in an area about a 1cm diameter. I’m going to take them to a shoe repairer who my coach thinks can fix skates, but they are closed for another couple of weeks for the holidays. In search of a temporary fix until then, as it’s very painful and I can’t do anything with a left outside edge, as it puts too much pressure there. Was thinking maybe some cotton wool and a bandaid over it to keep it there for now?? Any ideas welcome, thanks!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
moleskin foam with adhesive backing; cut with scissors to whatever shape and size you want.

Last edited:

Elija

On the Ice
moleskin foam with adhesive backing; cut with scissors to whatever shape and size you want.
Thanks, will try find some. The hole is pretty deep so might have to layer it up or something to fill it in.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks, will try find some. The hole is pretty deep so might have to layer it up or something to fill it in.
It's readily available at the footcare section of health and beauty supplies departments of pharmacies, supermarkets, Target, Walmart ... It can be readily layered. Be sure to look for the moleskin foam, not the regular moleskin (which does not have foam padding).

Elija

On the Ice
It's readily available at the footcare section of health and beauty supplies departments of pharmacies, supermarkets, Target, Walmart ... It can be readily layered. Be sure to look for the moleskin foam, not the regular moleskin (which does not have foam padding).
Thanks! I’m not in the US and don’t have those stores, but I’m sure I can find it in a pharmacy or something.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I know you aren't in the U.S., but here's what we used to use for extra heel padding when my skater got blisters. MUCH cheaper than authentic Bungas.

ZenToes

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know you aren't in the U.S., but here's what we used to use for extra heel padding when my skater got blisters. MUCH cheaper than authentic Bungas.

ZenToes
Just adding that anyone who wants to use them long term should probably get authentic bungas. I've had these fall apart so easily but the bungas have stayed together for 6 years. But if you're just using them when you get blisters or for temporary padding (such as breaking in new skates) there's no need.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Just adding that anyone who wants to use them long term should probably get authentic bungas. I've had these fall apart so easily but the bungas have stayed together for 6 years. But if you're just using them when you get blisters or for temporary padding (such as breaking in new skates) there's no need.
Ours held together pretty well. Of course I bought 6 pairs so they were rotated out daily. Yeah, Bungas are much more substantial (as they should be at the cost), but I wasn't interested in buying 6 pairs of those, or having to continuously wash them. Thankfully the new custom Jackson boots eliminated the need for the sleeves, and the gel discs, and the expensive Compeed blister band aids. It speeds up getting the boots on tremendously!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ours held together pretty well. Of course I bought 6 pairs so they were rotated out daily. Yeah, Bungas are much more substantial (as they should be at the cost), but I wasn't interested in buying 6 pairs of those, or having to continuously wash them. Thankfully the new custom Jackson boots eliminated the need for the sleeves, and the gel discs, and the expensive Compeed blister band aids. It speeds up getting the boots on tremendously!
Why six pairs?

froo

Rinkside
One for every day she trains, plus they occasionally went missing...
I used these too! Waiting for my semicustom/split size boots and still heel moved unless I tightened “just so” so I am glad to hear the custom boots helped with getting on the ice faster. I don’t skate nearly as much but that was one of my issues i hope the semi custom will help wit!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh I just wear the same pair the whole time haha.
Ewww! (I gave up hunting for the proper emoji). I'm in Sibelius's camp. I have 8 pairs of gel sleeves, Silipos because they're half the price of Bungas. A lot of sweat pools under them, and I wash them before the next use. They take almost two days to air dry thoroughly, so one pair definitely won't do. I start out with 8 clean pairs, and wash them in groups of 4 pairs as I use them. That way I always have clean ones dry and ready to use.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ewww! (I gave up hunting for the proper emoji). I'm in Sibelius's camp. I have 8 pairs of gel sleeves, Silipos because they're half the price of Bungas. A lot of sweat pools under them, and I wash them before the next use. They take almost two days to air dry thoroughly, so one pair definitely won't do. I start out with 8 clean pairs, and wash them in groups of 4 pairs as I use them. That way I always have clean ones dry and ready to use.
I guess I just don't sweat that much haha. I still wash them often lol. My socks are never more wet under the bunga pads. I've seen that happen to some skaters where you can see the line on their sock where their bunga pads are but that has never happened to me. They're dry within like 2 hours for me. Yes, fully dry. Since there's a sock between my skin and the bunga pad and it's dry, I don't see an issue.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I guess I just don't sweat that much haha. I still wash them often lol. My socks are never more wet under the bunga pads. I've seen that happen to some skaters where you can see the line on their sock where their bunga pads are but that has never happened to me. They're dry within like 2 hours for me. Yes, fully dry. Since there's a sock between my skin and the bunga pad and it's dry, I don't see an issue.
Ah, that's a big difference. I found it too irritating to wear the sleeves over my socks, so I wear them under my socks, in direct contact with my skin.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ah, that's a big difference. I found it too irritating to wear the sleeves over my socks, so I wear them under my socks, in direct contact with my skin.
Oh under the socks... I don't think I'd like that on my skin haha.

emilybailey

Spectator
Where did you buy gel sleeves? I don’t live in the U.S., so just wondering!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Where did you buy gel sleeves? I don’t live in the U.S., so just wondering!
Here's the company website for Silipos: https://silipos.com/. They have many different products. Try contacting them for a referral to a retailer in your country. In the US, they're typically sold by medical supply companies. I get these from Amazon (this is for the US site): https://www.amazon.com/Silipos-10845-Tubing-Ankle-Sleeve/dp/B00JFTW43I/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3MV63S1TJMMQ2&keywords=silipos+sleeving&qid=1645261636&sprefix=silipos+sleeving,aps,93&sr=8-15.
This is a tube about 10 inches long. I cut them in half to get two pieces 5 inches long; one for each foot.

ETA: I just noticed you're a newcomer here. Welcome to the Forum! :)

Last edited: