In need of advice :) | Golden Skate

In need of advice :)

mayo

Spectator
Hello! I’m a beginner skater looking for advice on skates. I went to a fitter near me recently, and we figured out my skate size. However, while I was there, they saw I was rolling over (pronating) and said I needed a skate with the ability to move the blade to compensate.

I was looking at Jackson Mystiques (about $150) and the lowest to be able to move the blade are the Jackson Evos ($240). Do I really need to get the blades moved? I just started skating a month and a half ago and was only looking for my own skates so I could skate more often and so it wouldn’t hurt my feet like rental skates.

Are there any other fixes or is blade adjustment important to make sure I learn and skate correctly? And to be honest, is it that big of a deal? Or something just to get me to buy a more expensive skate? Thank you!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I won't comment on whether either of these boots are right for you. That's a different question.

* If you pronate strongly, it will interfere with your skating, even as a beginner. It should be corrected. Corrections include: (a) replacing the stock footbed with a corrective footbed, (b) moving the blade, or (c) shimming the blade. Depending on the severity of your pronation, you may need a combo of the above.

* I don't understand why they say you can move the blade on the Evo, but not on the Mystique. They are both sold as kits with the blades pre-mounted on the boots. The heel and sole material are different on the two boots, but the blades on both are mounted with screws. [If the blades are mounted with rivets, don't bother trying to move them; not worth the effort.] To move the blade, you would demount the blade, plug the existing holes, drill fresh holes, and remount the blade. Whether this is cost effective or not depends on the store policy: Some techs will do this for no charge or a small charge if you buy the skates from them; others will charge a lot; so find out how much it will cost.

* A blade can be shimmed by loosening the existing screws, inserting appropriate shims, and then re-tightening the screws. No plugging or re-drilling needed.

* You should go to another shop. If you tell us where you are, there are people here who will steer you to the closest competent shops.

Last edited:

mayo

Spectator
I won't comment on whether either of these boots are right for you. That's a different question.

* If you pronate strongly, it will interfere with your skating, even as a beginner. It should be corrected. Corrections include: (a) replacing the stock footbed with a corrective footbed, (b) moving the blade, or (c) shimming the blade. Depending on the severity of your pronation, you may need a combo of the above.

* I don't understand why they say you can move the blade on the Evo, but not on the Mystique. They are both sold as kits with the blades pre-mounted on the boots. The heel and sole material are different on the two boots, but the blades on both are mounted with screws. [If the blades are mounted with rivets, don't bother trying to move them; not worth the effort.] To move the blade, you would demount the blade, plug the existing holes, drill fresh holes, and remount the blade. Whether this is cost effective or not depends on the store policy: Some techs will do this for no charge or a small charge if you buy the skates from them; others will charge a lot; so find out how much it will cost.

* A blade can be shimmed by loosening the existing screws, inserting appropriate shims, and then re-tightening the screws. No plugging or re-drilling needed.

* You should go to another shop. If you tell us where you are, there are people here who will steer you to the closest competent shops.
Thank you for this! If I’m understanding correctly, both skates have blades that can be moved? I can double check that I have the right names so I’m not adding confusion however.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you for this! If I’m understanding correctly, both skates have blades that can be moved? I can double check that I have the right names so I’m not adding confusion however.

And I live in the Cali Bay Area!
Yes, what determines whether a blade can be moved or not is whether it is mounted with screws (can be moved) or with rivets (cannot be moved; technically you can, but it's not worth the effort). According to the Jackson website, both models you cited use screws for the blade mount.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
It's probably because Mystiques have hard plastic soles, and to unscrew the blades and move them might crack the plastic (on top of not being able to fill the holes left properly). Evos have a different type of composite material for the soles that are much sturdier.

Mystiques are also just recreational skates and are not appropriate for a fully grown person to learn skating skills in.

mayo

Spectator
It's probably because Mystiques have hard plastic soles, and to unscrew the blades and move them might crack the plastic (on top of not being able to fill the holes left properly). Evos have a different type of composite material for the soles that are much sturdier.

Mystiques are also just recreational skates and are not appropriate for a fully grown person to learn skating skills in.
Ah I see, thank you for the info! I also decided to ask some of the coaches and advanced skaters at my rink which pro shop they would recommend and they all highly recommended the one I went to, so I think I’ll just go with the Evos so I can move the blade and so that I can use it for longer. Thank you for all the help!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Yes, some materials are more difficult to deal with than others. But the supplied blades are mounted with screws. A competent tech should be able to remove the old screws, plug the old holes, drill fresh holes, and install new screws. If the manufacturer doesn't intend to have the blades movable, they use rivets instead of screws (you see these on low-end kits; cheaper production costs).

OP: But if you plan to stick with the same shop, and they don't want to move the blades on the Mystiques, then you have no option there. Again, I'm just addressing your posted question on the ability to move a blade, not which boot is right for you.

Ic3Rabbit

Patineuse élite et professionnelle
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Honestly, @mayo if you're a full grown person learning to skate you should not be in anything lower than the stiffness rating of the Jackson Elle or Freestyle.

Good luck! :)

mayo

Spectator
Honestly, @mayo if you're a full grown person learning to skate you should not be in anything lower than the stiffness rating of the Jackson Elle or Freestyle.

Good luck! :)
Oh yeah I heard about that, and even though I am fully grown, I’m very tiny, barely 4’11 so I thought a lower stiffness rating should be fine :D

Ic3Rabbit

Patineuse élite et professionnelle
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh yeah I heard about that, and even though I am fully grown, I’m very tiny, barely 4’11 so I thought a lower stiffness rating should be fine :D
Ok and in saying that I'm still going to tell you don't go lower in a skate than the Elle. You aren't a 3 year old learning to first skate. Trust me on this.