In need of blade advice :) | Golden Skate

In need of blade advice :)

jeylieva

Spectator
Hi everyone!!

Next season I’m going to change my blades, currently I’m with CA, I don’t really feel as comfortable as I would like to, most likely because of the spin rocker, I don’t have any problems with the toepick at all, but I would like to try a more agressive one.
I was thinking about gold seals, but I think the toepick may be smaller than CA’s, btw, I also notice (just by pictures) that phoenix gold has a slightly bigger pick.
I also consider MK phantom, or even matrix ultima.
What do you think?

Last edited:

Elija

On the Ice
I would vote phantoms too. I also didn’t really like the CA spin rocker and switched to phantoms, which I love.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!!

Next season I’m going to change my blades, currently I’m with CA, I don’t really feel as comfortable as I would like to, most likely because of the spin rocker, I don’t have any problems with the toepick at all, but I would like to try a more agressive one.
I was thinking about gold seals, but I think the toepick may be smaller than CA’s, btw, I also notice (just by pictures) that phoenix gold has a slightly bigger pick.
I also consider MK phantom, or even matrix ultima.
What do you think?
Also sorry if there’s something wrong, english isn’t my first language hahaha
MK Phantom or JW Pattern 99-Traditional ones. No to the Phoenix.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Next season I’m going to change my blades, currently I’m with CA, I don’t really feel as comfortable as I would like to, most likely because of the spin rocker,

But p99 has the same spin rocker as CA’s, am I wrong? Also, why not phoenix?
Since you're particularly concerned about the spin rocker, you should clarify what you don't like about the Coronation Ace spin rocker.

jeylieva

Spectator
Since you're particularly concerned about the spin rocker, you should clarify what you don't like about the Coronation Ace spin rocker.
I think that sometimes I feel scracthy, like I haven’t find the sweet spot, maybe I go a little bit forward.
Obviously it’s because of a bad technique, but idk if there’s another kind of rocker in which I could find spins easier.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
MK Phantom or JW Pattern 99-Traditional ones. No to the Phoenix.
You said you wanted a more aggressive pick- That's Pattern 99 or MK Phantom. I've skated on every single blade and have stuck w/the P99 for 20 years now. You're also working with a whole extra inch with P99.

eclipse

Rinkside
I think that sometimes I feel scracthy, like I haven’t find the sweet spot, maybe I go a little bit forward.
Obviously it’s because of a bad technique, but idk if there’s another kind of rocker in which I could find spins easier.
Are you sure you aren't just spinning on the sweet spot and think you are spinning on the toe pick.

99% of the time people ask this question they are spinning fine without issue and don't realise the drag pick lightly touches the ice during a spin.

jeylieva

Spectator
You said you wanted a more aggressive pick- That's Pattern 99 or MK Phantom. I've skated on every single blade and have stuck w/the P99 for 20 years now. You're also working with a whole extra inch with P99.
Yeah, but as far as I know P99 and CA’s have the same rocker profile (12’’/27’’), and making it 8 inches… I don’t know if it will be harder to spin on.

Last edited:

jeylieva

Spectator
Are you sure you aren't just spinning on the sweet spot and think you are spinning on the toe pick.

99% of the time people ask this question they are spinning fine without issue and don't realise the drag pick lightly touches the ice during a spin.
Might be, I can do all the variation spins with good speed, but I just feel scratchy, but after all, I’ve only been skating since November, but since now I’m doing all doubles and working on triples I need new blades, so, it can be that I haven’t adjust 100% to CA’s

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah, but as far as I know P99 and CA’s have the same rocker profile (12’’/27’’), and making it 8 inches… I don’t know if it will be harder to spin on.
Also, what do you mean by a whole extra inch?
Sorry, they're not the same. They also have different cut toepicks, but I'm bowing out of this conversation now. Good luck.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
But p99 has the same spin rocker as CA’s, am I wrong? Also, why not phoenix?
To answer last part, Phoenix blades don't actually respond the same as the traditional blades. I'm not sure why, but everybody I've asked actually was disadvantaged by them instead of advantaged.
Can't answer your question about P99 but gold seal was always my favourite spinning blade. can't comment on whether it is right for you though.

jeylieva

Spectator
Yeah, believe it or not, also working on having a consistent 2A (I hate axels) and all footwork and spin combination. By the way, I won’t work on triples until I have a better blade, so now I’m just TRYING them off ice.

I’ve done other sports in which things like vertical jump were the main thing, so I’m not kinda like a beginner.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah, believe it or not, also working on having a consistent 2A (I hate axels) and all footwork and spin combination. By the way, I won’t work on triples until I have a better blade, so now I’m just TRYING them off ice.

I’ve done other sports in which things like vertical jump were the main thing, so I’m not kinda like a beginner.
Yeah, it's more than just jumps and well :coffee:

EdeaLee

Spectator
Hya. Can I ask why the pattern 99 is better for you than the MK Phantom? what is better? what don't you like about the MK? is there a big quality difference? do you have a significant skate level to understand how they are better or worse? thank you so very much. Lee

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hya. Can I ask why the pattern 99 is better for you than the MK Phantom? what is better? what don't you like about the MK? is there a big quality difference? do you have a significant skate level to understand how they are better or worse? thank you so very much. Lee
Why don't you go read more of my posts and you will find said information including that I'm a former elite skater, now professional. I know what I'm talking about, they don't let just anyone test their blades. Also, I used to compete elite in Phantoms, but dropped them for the P99's.

EdeaLee

Spectator
Why don't you go read more of my posts and you will find said information including that I'm a former elite skater, now professional. I know what I'm talking about, they don't let just anyone test their blades. Also, I used to compete elite in Phantoms, but dropped them for the P99's.
Many thanks for your answer. I'll certainly take a look..thank you.