Is 14 too old to start? | Golden Skate

Is 14 too old to start?

leaahhu

Spectator
Hi! I'm 14 years old (turning 15 very soon) and I really want to start figure skating. I took private lessons for skating when I was around 11 years old for about an year or two, but just for fun, and I wanted to know if I'm too old to start figure skating. Im planning on getting one to one lessons every 4/5 days a week at a nearby skating rink starting early January or just asap. I'm also not sure how competitions work or if I'll ever be good enough to enter, but I want to. Is it possible for me to start? or just any tips?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I'm 14 years old (turning 15 very soon) and I really want to start figure skating. I took private lessons for skating when I was around 11 years old for about an year or two, but just for fun, and I wanted to know if I'm too old to start figure skating. Im planning on getting one to one lessons every 4/5 days a week at a nearby skating rink starting early January or just asap. I'm also not sure how competitions work or if I'll ever be good enough to enter, but I want to. Is it possible for me to start? or just any tips?
Hi and welcome! :)
What do you mean by one to one lessons (I assume private) every 4/5 days a week? Are you planning on being coached 4 to 5 days a week? I don't know a coach at your level that will do that. You don't need to be taking lessons at a lower level that much anyway. One or two private lessons with your coach a week would be enough.
Make sure you get to a professional skate fitter and get measured and your feet traced for the correct boots for your feet.
There are always club and local competitions you can do and down the road adult skating competitions.

I wish you luck. If there's any other questions just ask! :)

leaahhu

Spectator
Hi and welcome! :)
What do you mean by one to one lessons (I assume private) every 4/5 days a week? Are you planning on being coached 4 to 5 days a week? I don't know a coach at your level that will do that. You don't need to be taking lessons at a lower level that much anyway. One or two private lessons with your coach a week would be enough.
Make sure you get to a professional skate fitter and get measured and your feet traced for the correct boots for your feet.
There are always club and local competitions you can do and down the road adult skating competitions.

I wish you luck. If there's any other questions just ask! :)
thanks! I didn't know much about lessons and how many I should take every week for someone my level, so thank you for correcting me.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
thanks! I didn't know much about lessons and how many I should take every week for someone my level, so thank you for correcting me.
I presume you already took group learn to skate classes? If not sign up for those first.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You're never too old to start a new endeavor, and there are many opportunites to participate in the sport aside from skating at the Olympics. The adult skaing community is very supportive and you'll make lots of friends if you continue on into adulthood. If your only desire is to compete at the Olympics, just know that most people who start skating at 5 (or younger) never get there, and those that do often have made personal choices and sacrifices that cause long lasting damage to their physical and mental health. Tara Lipinski needed a new hip in her teens, and Gracie Gold struggled for years with disordered eating that she's opened up about in recent years.

leaahhu

Spectator
You're never too old to start a new endeavor, and there are many opportunites to participate in the sport aside from skating at the Olympics. The adult skaing community is very supportive and you'll make lots of friends if you continue on into adulthood. If your only desire is to compete at the Olympics, just know that most people who start skating at 5 (or younger) never get there, and those that do often have made personal choices and sacrifices that cause long lasting damage to their physical and mental health. Tara Lipinski needed a new hip in her teens, and Gracie Gold struggled for years with disordered eating that she's opened up about in recent years.
Thank you!

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
To start, maybe you should just do one private lesson a week. But yeah it's totally possible for u to start at a later age! I started last year when I turned 13 and now I'm 14 about to test my prejuvenile MITF and right now I'm working on my juvenile MITF :)
To enter competitions, typically you have to pass a test (whether it be learn to skate or moves in the field) but if you want to start performing early, then you can enter in your rink's showcases <3
Also to help with progressing fast, please do off ice training! This includes stuff like stretching, strength and conditions, plyometrics, etc. It helps me a lot to catch up with the people in my rink who started earlier and you will improve a ton with off ice :)
Good luck! You'll love figure skating

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
To start, maybe you should just do one private lesson a week. But yeah it's totally possible for u to start at a later age! I started last year when I turned 13 and now I'm 14 about to test my prejuvenile MITF and right now I'm working on my juvenile MITF :)
To enter competitions, typically you have to pass a test (whether it be learn to skate or moves in the field) but if you want to start performing early, then you can enter in your rink's showcases <3
Also to help with progressing fast, please do off ice training! This includes stuff like stretching, strength and conditions, plyometrics, etc. It helps me a lot to catch up with the people in my rink who started earlier and you will improve a ton with off ice :)
Good luck! You'll love figure skating
Thanks for answering, but just FYI that this poster may not come back around to answer since this is an older thread. They may, but they may also not.