Is Jackson Ultima Premiere good for 7-8 year old beginner kid? | Golden Skate

Is Jackson Ultima Premiere good for 7-8 year old beginner kid?

oolongtea

Spectator
My son has been learning to skate for a few months now. He is going to his 3rd class soon and we would like to buy him skates. We like the leather Jackson Ultima but since his size is around 3 Wide, I think there’s not much selection. We picked Freestyle but it’s out of stock but the seller offers for free upgrades to Ultima Premiere. I learned that it’s pretty stiff and it’s designed for people who starts jumping. Will this Premiere still suitable for my son?

Vicki7

On the Ice
No way. A Premiere will be way too stiff if he’s young and just started skating. Go to a good, reputable skate fitter and get proper advice.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My son has been learning to skate for a few months now. He is going to his 3rd class soon and we would like to buy him skates. We like the leather Jackson Ultima but since his size is around 3 Wide, I think there’s not much selection. We picked Freestyle but it’s out of stock but the seller offers for free upgrades to Ultima Premiere. I learned that it’s pretty stiff and it’s designed for people who starts jumping. Will this Premiere still suitable for my son?
hi, welcome! You need to find a reputable fitter who can fit him properly for which brand of boots would work best. Because he is a young beginner, he should not need anything stiffer than a Jackson Artiste, Graf Ace, Risport Antares/Venus or Riedell Opal/Opal Jr. He would be entirely too overbooted in Jackson Premiere, it's way too stiff for him right now and for some time to come.

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Jackson Premieres are suitable for fully grown adults doing double jumps, your kid would be miserable in them.

oolongtea

Spectator
Thanks everyone, I will bring him to a local pro shop to get it measured again. The reason we go for Freestyle at first is because they have the Wide option. We did try the normal skates at local skate shop (SF Bay Area) before and the normal size width is still too tight for him.

scottie99

Rinkside
Those are way too high of a level, especially for a kid. He would be miserable and probably unable to even skate in a Premier or Freestyle. Honestly a Mistique or maybe the Artiste would be a MUCH better option.

oolongtea

Spectator
Just a quick update, we bought a Mistique for him a few weeks ago. It fits good and he likes it very much. Thank you all again for the help!