ISU announces Selection Criteria for JGPF | Golden Skate

ISU announces Selection Criteria for JGPF

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU has announced the selection criteria for skaters eligibility for the JGPF:

Communication No. 2431
Decisions of the Council

2021/22 – Qualification Criteria
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic related travel and entry restrictions, the ISU Council had decided not to apply the usual ISU Junior Grand Prix ranking system as basis for the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final qualification system (please refer to ISU Communication 2418).
The Council decided on the following qualification criteria for the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final 2021/2022.

A. Junior Men and Junior Women

1. i) The 7 winners of each individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Event will qualify for the Final.
  2. ii) Should there only be 6 different individual winners out of the 7 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because a Skater has won 2 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events, the 6 different individual winners will qualify for the Final.
  3. iii) Should there be fewer than 6 different individual winners out of the 7 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because more Skaters have won 2 JGP Events, all the different individual winners will qualify for the Final. In addition, the best 2nd placed Skater(s), 3rd placed Skater(s) and so forth by total score, who are not yet qualified as a winner, would be invited to the Final to reach the number of 6 entries.
  4. iv) Japan as the host Member will be granted 1 Wild Card Entry for Men and for Women.
B. Junior Pairs
  1. i) The 4 winners of each individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Event will qualify for the Final.
  2. ii) Should there be fewer than 4 different individual winners out of the 4 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because a Pair has won 2 JGP Events, all the different individual winners will qualify for the Final. In addition, the best 2nd placed Pairs(s), 3rd placed Pairs(s) and so forth by total score, who are not yet qualified as a winner, would be invited to the Final to reach the number of 4 entries.
C. Junior Ice Dance
  1. i) The 7 winners of each individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating event will qualify for the Final.
  2. ii) Should there only be 6 different individual winners out of the 7 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because a Couple has won 2 JGP Events, the 6 different individual winners will qualify for the Final.
  3. iii) Should there be fewer than 6 different individual winners out of the 7 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because more Couples have won 2 JGP Events, all the different individual winners will qualify for the Final. In addition, the best 2nd placed Couple(s), 3rd placed Couples(s) and so forth by total score, who are not yet qualified as a winner, would be invited to the Final to reach the number of 6 entries.
D. Substitutes (applicable for all Disciplines)
The 3 best 2nd placed Skater(s)/Couple(s), 3rd placed Skater(s)/Couples(s) and so forth by total score, who are not yet qualified in accordance with the above, will be substitutes for the Final.
Substitution of Skaters will only come into force if the minimum number of entries of 6 Men (not counting the Wild Card), 6 Women (not counting the Wild Card), 4 Pairs and 6 Ice Dance Couples cannot be reached with the qualified Skaters.

h/t to @Andrea82 for posting in the Race for the Ladies JGPF thread

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I am reading this correctly, Ilia Malinin, Wesley Chiu and Kiril Sarnovskiy in the men's final.

Here I am honest, I do care about these skaters, and I don't know about the process, but I like the results:)

Amei

Record Breaker
Russian fed should buy approved vaccines for their skaters assigned to GP France asap to avoid losing GPF spots, still time.

My understanding of the issue with Russians going to France is that its not due to vaccine status of individuals but that Russia's cases are at a level that if a Russian travels to France regardless of their vaccination status they have to quarantine

So even if say Shcherbakova is vaccinated using Moderna vaccine, because she's from Russia she would have to quarantine for 7 days upon arriving in France.

I guess the question for that would be how can the Russians workaround it for GP France: how detrimental would it really be to be off ice for 7 days then have 2-3 days practice before competition or would Russians assigned to GP France have the option of going to say Sweden where there isn't a quarantine restriction for x amount of days and then because they aren't coming from Russia would be able to travel to France and not quarantine?

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Men
1. Gleb Lutfullin (2 gold)
2. Ilia Malinin (1 gold, potential for a second)
3. Kirill Sarnovsky (1 gold, potential for a second)
4. Wesley Chiu (1 gold)
5. Ilya Yablokov (1 gold)
6. TBD
7. [Japanese man]

223.29+202.28=425.57 - Egor Rukhin

212.32+JGP Linz - Artem Kovalev

Women
1. Sofia Akateva (2 gold)
2. Isabeau Levito (1 gold, potential for a second)
3. Lindsay Thorngren (1 gold)
4. Veronika Zhilina (1 gold)
5. Adeliia Petrosian (1 gold)
6. TBD
7. [Japanese woman]

205.67+202.39=408.06 - Sofia Samodelkina

208.25+JGP Linz - Sofia Muravieva
206.20+JGP Linz - Anastasia Zinina

Pairs
1. Chikmareva & Ianchenkov (2 gold)
2. Mukhortova & Evgenyev (1 gold, potential for a second)
3. TBD
4. TBD

170.46+169.80 = 340.26 - Petushkova & Malikov
162.14+158.82 = 320.96 - Kostiukovich & Briukhanov

183.87 + JGP Linz = ? - Khabibullina & Knyazhuk
168.26 + JGP Linz = ? - Safina & Berulava
168.13 + JGP Linz = ? - Storublevtceva & Gritsaenko

Ice dance
1. Khavronina & Cirisano (2 gold)
2. Brown & Brown (1 gold, potential for a second)
3. Wolfkostin & Chen (1 gold)
4. D'Alessandro & Waddell (1 gold)
5. Kaganovskaia & Angelopol (1 gold)
6. TBD

Four of the five highest first-event scores among non-qualifying skaters belong to teams competing at JGP Linz this week. If the Browns repeat as gold medalists (which honestly is a bit of a long-shot, I think), then the sixth qualifier would likely be drawn from amongst them:
165.14 - Leonteva & Gorelkin
160.23 - Ling & Wein
157.39 - Bashynska & Beaumont
155.98 - Tyutyunina & Shustitskiy

Country
Israel
Samodelkina is pretty much out of the final.. Muravieva has the best chance because she has the highest score and is a competitor in Austria, if she or Isabeau wins either way she gets the spot, she is against Zinina directly for the spot (or maybe some other surprise)
oh if by total score they mean both events then there is some kind of marginal factor and what I said is wrong :oops:

Country
Israel
If by total score they mean both events, and if Isabeau wins, Muravieva and Zinina will need to score less than 199.81 and 201.86 respectively in order for Samodelkina to be in the final. For Zinina to win over Muravieva there needs to be a gap of more than 2.05 points in favor of Zinina.

sinus

On the Ice
I would hope that no one would seriously suggest that these events should not count at all. The athletes who competed at these stages took on all the other competitors present, and their wins certainly should count for something!
No, wins where strongest skaters were segregated and blocked from participation should not count. Thorngren or Levito would never win 1st places in the presence of Russian Ladies. This gold is fake.

Last edited: