ISU announces Selection Criteria for JGPF | Page 24 | Golden Skate

ISU announces Selection Criteria for JGPF

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I decided I couldn't miss the Finlandia rhythm dance. I checked the junior results right away and put them into my spreadsheet.

Thank you!

I wasn’t watching ID that closely, but with Browns coming second, and Ling/Wein 5th, I think it might actually be pretty much be the same result in all 3 takes on it.

Edit: okay, Ling/Wein still beat B&B in combined, but gosh, they were on fire today save for that unfortunate fall.

Also, yes, eerie similar to men! A swap, but the athletes who made it were better head to head 😅

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
JR Pairs

The actual qualifiers:

Mukhortova/Evgeniev
Chikmareva/Ianchenkov
Khabibullina/Knyazhuk
Petushkova/Malikov or Safina/Berulava
Which team is 4th depends on whether the ISU meant best score of a (not already qualified) medalist, or best score with a silver medal (from the event where they placed 2nd). S/B have the first one, P/M have the 2nd one. 1st alternate will be whichever isn't 4th.

Combined scores:
Khabibullina/Knyazhuk183.87188.84372.71
Chikmareva/Ianchenkov189.11171.97361.08
Mukhortova/Evgeniev171.99183.64355.63
Safina/Berulava168.26179.27347.53
Petushkova/Malikov170.46169.8340.26
Storublevtceva/Gritsaenko168.13163.04331.17

Placements:
Chikmareva/Ianchenkov151530
Khabibullina/Knyazhuk131528
Mukhortova/Evgeniev151328
Safina/Berulava131124
Petushkova/Malikov111324
Kostiukovich/Briukhanov111122

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
JR Pairs

The actual qualifiers:

Mukhortova/Evgeniev
Chikmareva/Ianchenkov
Khabibullina/Knyazhuk
Petushkova/Malikov or Safina/Berulava
Which team is 4th depends on whether the ISU meant best score of a (not already qualified) medalist, or best score with a silver medal (from the event where they placed 2nd). S/B have the first one, P/M have the 2nd one. 1st alternate will be whichever isn't 4th.

Combined scores:
Khabibullina/Knyazhuk183.87188.84372.71
Chikmareva/Ianchenkov189.11171.97361.08
Mukhortova/Evgeniev171.99183.64355.63
Safina/Berulava168.26179.27347.53
Petushkova/Malikov170.46169.8340.26
Storublevtceva/Gritsaenko168.13163.04331.17

Placements:
Chikmareva/Ianchenkov151530
Khabibullina/Knyazhuk131528
Mukhortova/Evgeniev151328
Safina/Berulava131124
Petushkova/Malikov111324
Kostiukovich/Briukhanov111122
Wow, in case of Safina-Berulava’s total being accepted it will be the same in pairs for all 3 methods, though, of course, 2 spots were lost for no fault of their own!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Jr Ladies

Actual results:

Lindsay Thorngren
Isabeau Levito
Veronika Zhilina
Sofia Akatieva
Adelia Petrosian
Sofia Muravieva

Combined scores:
Sofia Akatieva233.08225.64458.72
Sofia Muravieva208.25211.81420.06
Adelia Petrosyan201.21210.57411.78
Isabeau Levito202.35208.31410.66
Sofia Samodelkina202.39205.67408.06
Anastasia Zinina206.2190.66396.86
Alternates would be Elizaveta Kulikova (1), Chaeyeon Kim (2), Lindsay Thorngren (3)

Placements:
Sofia Akatieva151530
Sofia Muravieva131528
Isabeau Levito151328
Adelia Petrosyan111526
Lindsay Thorngren151126
Sofia Samodelkina111324
Anastasia Zinina would be 1st alternate, then Kaiya Ruiter, then Kulikova

For women, the results from the different methods are more different than the other disciplines, because Zhilina gets in with one event, which isn't normally a thing, and didn't happen in men/pairs/dance.

GretchenG

Rinkside
The problem is that the judging panels are different for each competition, and a skater could get an advantage if they are on home ice. I never really liked total scores to determine tie breakers because competitions vary in their nature.
I'm not sure what you mean by "vary in their nature". Are you just talking about the fact that they're different competitors and a different judging panel? Anyway, all of the countries that host a GP place their top skaters at home. It's an imperfect system, and I'm tired of judges being caught cheating, put on suspension for six months, and then being invited back. And fans have their opinions, where some people think a skater was unfairly judged and others don't. So what are we going to do?

GretchenG

Rinkside
And how giving a placement is different excuse-moi? Actually, by basing your rules on a placement you are throwing away much more variables connected with the skating performances. Whatever placement you want to give to some individual skaters who earned in one competition scores 194, 195 and 196, their numbers are just a product of a mathematical system ISU is working with. In 'objective system' all of those 3 numbers are basically the same if you use statistical probability of the errors system is working with. So, in those situations to claim how 196 is 1st, 195 is 2nd and 194 is 3rd doesn't have sense at all, because that kind of a difference is more likely product of the system itself than skaters performances. It's more reliable to just add more numbers (when you have it) and then make a difference, because by adding more numbers there is more probability to make a better difference between the skaters performances (after 3 competitions one of those skaters will have total score of 400, the second one 390 and the third one 380, so the difference will be statistically more reliable).
What I think would be even better is for judges to actually rule specifically on each category under PCS. There are times when a really good skater has a really bad performance, but as it is now they just rank them similarly to all of the other categories. It would be better (and more specific and useful) for judges to give that skater, say, a 9.50 for skating skills, and maybe a 7.50 for a poor performance. Or vice-versa, a category someone like Ashley Wagner would fit into. I've heard some people say that there should be a whole separate judging panel for PCS. Maybe that would help. I don't have a problem with adding more GP competitions, but you're looking at money spent, time used, etc.

GretchenG

Rinkside
Thank you!

I wasn’t watching ID that closely, but with Browns coming second, and Ling/Wein 5th, I think it might actually be pretty much be the same result in all 3 takes on it.

Edit: okay, Ling/Wein still beat B&B in combined, but gosh, they were on fire today save for that unfortunate fall.

Also, yes, eerie similar to men! A swap, but the athletes who made it were better head to head 😅
I got excited when I saw Ling/Wein's 160 score, but after watching them in Austria, I kind of think it's a fluke. I'm normally not super fond of the Browns, because I think sometimes they're just too aggressive. I really liked their free skate today, though. As you say, they were on fire.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

GretchenG

Rinkside
So if Zhilina (or anyone else) has to withdraw, Zinina is the first alternate.
I'm pretty sure Zhilina won't qualify for the final because she only skated one competition. If they only have to skate once because they win it, then Isabeau could have just stayed home instead of showing up at Austria. It's really going to bug me if they let Zhilina in, if she has recovered her injury, that is. Zinina is already in, based on the fact that she has the highest second-place score. If you exclude Zhilina, there are five winners. So the next girl who qualifies is the one with the top second-place score, which is Zinina. If the first alternate is going to be the top third place score, then it will be Samodelkina. She also has the second highest second-place finish. I really just want to punch the person that came up with this formula.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
:ot: I think it was the strongest JGP season in ladies and I hope ISU will do something to ensure this generation will not be lost.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm pretty sure Zhilina won't qualify for the final because she only skated one competition. If they only have to skate once because they win it, then Isabeau could have just stayed home instead of showing up at Austria.
No you only had to win one, but they made the announcement so late (literally a day or two before Linz) that it was kind of too late for anyone to withdraw and be replaced.

To be honest, the backlash has been so negative I almost hope Nika doesn't skate, everyone seems really annoyed about it and I feel like it might colour people's perceptions of her. But at the same time since it would mean she was still injured I hope she does go!

It's a big old mess.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ted said as much on the broadcast.

And really, it does kind of make sense; if the gold medalists get in on the basis of one event, arguably looking at both events for the rest is subjecting them to a higher standard.
To make it more confusing the document says total score, but i guess it’s total as in SP+FS vs total combined of 2 events. Well, there are a few weeks for them to announce it.

If it were total combined, it would be Kovalev>Rukhin, and Ted was pretty certain that it was Rukhin because K was a couple of points below R’s highest. And, yes, Zhilina was shown as qualified for the final officially in the beginning of the women’s event when Ted discussed who qualified. He also repeated a few times about all the gold medalists that they ‘don’t need it, they are already in’

GretchenG

Rinkside
Jr Ladies

Actual results:

Lindsay Thorngren
Isabeau Levito
Veronika Zhilina
Sofia Akatieva
Adelia Petrosian
Sofia Muravieva

Combined scores:
Sofia Akatieva233.08225.64458.72
Sofia Muravieva208.25211.81420.06
Adelia Petrosyan201.21210.57411.78
Isabeau Levito202.35208.31410.66
Sofia Samodelkina202.39205.67408.06
Anastasia Zinina206.2190.66396.86
Alternates would be Elizaveta Kulikova (1), Chaeyeon Kim (2), Lindsay Thorngren (3)

Placements:
Sofia Akatieva151530
Sofia Muravieva131528
Isabeau Levito151328
Adelia Petrosyan111526
Lindsay Thorngren151126
Sofia Samodelkina111324
Anastasia Zinina would be 1st alternate, then Kaiya Ruiter, then Kulikova

For women, the results from the different methods are more different than the other disciplines, because Zhilina gets in with one event, which isn't normally a thing, and didn't happen in men/pairs/dance.
If they allow Zhilina into the final after only one event, I'm going to be really disgusted. I know these are exceptional circumstances, but I think that's going too far off the reservation. Excuse the term. Your Actual Results list is what I have, except I've swapped out Zhilina for Zinina. If you exclude Zhilina, there are only five winners. That means that the girl with the highest second place finish, which is Zinina, qualifies. I can't wait to find out which of all of us is right. There should be prizes.