ISU Statement on Safety at Worlds | Page 5 | Golden Skate

ISU Statement on Safety at Worlds

Max_Power

Rinkside
a gala is not appropriate for a lot of reasons.. 1) health... of course, let's not create more risks already.... 2) it just seems odd to have a skating celebration, as if nothing is happening, one that could compromise the health of skaters on top of that, when Stockholm is no longer accepting covid patients as their hospitals are full??? By respect to all the people who got sick, or worse died, ISU could have made a statement and led by example saying that this year's gala would be canceled or at least, found a way to make it super safe... but no... let's throw our usual party.... shortsighted is a polite word here.
Excuse me, are you a scientist, virologist or doctor to know what is appropriate or not?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Excuse me, are you a scientist, virologist or doctor to know what is appropriate or not?

The scientists and doctors say that a negative test does not mean you stop wearing masks.

I will be very happy if the skaters I enjoy leave in good health. That does not mean the event was conducted safely. (ETA: that is, with all safety rules enforced)

I am happy that Yuzu and Nathan had the sense to wear their masks and praise those who did.(y)

Last edited:

Max_Power

Rinkside
The scientists and doctors say that a negative test does not mean you stop wearing masks.

I will be very happy if the skaters I enjoy leave in good health. That does not mean the event was conducted safely.

I am happy that Yuzu and Nathan had the sense to wear their masks and praise those who did.(y)

Its not like they stopped wearing it all the time...if it doenst rain will you carry an umbrealla? If you sit in your car and dont drive are you wearing the seatbelt? It has been conducted safely...because it didnt turn out a superspreader event and the case rate was way below average.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

I will be very happy if the skaters I enjoy leave in good health. That does not mean the event was conducted safely. (ETA: that is, with all safety rules enforced)

Absolutely. The mask rule was not being enforced although they'd promised it would. The coaches with their noses sticking out of their masks (mostly Mishin, unsurprisingly, but there were others), and the maskless+masked skaters mingling at the gala, was an utter disappointment.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Scientists have agreed that such events are risky, and that at all times sanitary measures should be followed.
Scientists have declared that the Stockholm hospitals no longer welcome Covid patients. Their ICU is full.
And the rest of my post has nothing to do with science. It is based on decency, compassion, consideration and humanism. Those can be acquired without studying science, but will remain obscure to many.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I love how after multiple skaters have spoken up about the conditions at worlds, we still have this debate :laugh: But then again, maybe they were saying it for "competitive advantages" as was suggested.

Those skaters were also, of course, not "scientists, virologists, or doctors" - unlike the ones who NEEDED to SKATE, who will be continuing their work with the Red Cross, and Doctors Without Borders now that the World Championships have concluded. Lakernik will be soon receiving the Nobel Prize in Medicine, I've heard.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Its not like they stopped wearing it all the time...if it doenst rain will you carry an umbrealla? If you sit in your car and dont drive are you wearing the seatbelt? It has been conducted safely...because it didnt turn out a superspreader event and the case rate was way below average.

I truly do not understand this, I'm sorry,

The danger of a communicable virus is being around other people. So at every point that I am around other people, I wear a mask. So does my spousal unit, and he is vaccinated! If I am sitting home with my spousal unit, I do not wear a mask.

If a skater is sitting home, they do not need to wear a mask). If they are around other people in a rink, they wear a mask. (one that covers their nose, or else it is useless). It is only common courtesy, to me, if nothing else.

So not carrying an umbrella or wearing a seatbelt is me sitting at home. Not me at the rink.🤷‍♀️

Max_Power

Rinkside
Scientists have agreed that such events are risky, and that at all times sanitary measures should be followed.
Scientists have declared that the Stockholm hospitals no longer welcome Covid patients. Their ICU is full.
And the rest of my post has nothing to do with science. It is based on decency, compassion, consideration and humanism. Those can be acquired without studying science, but will remain obscure to many.
Some scientists are saying this, some are saying that. There were hundred of sportevents running in the last 8 month...only a few of them weren't safe.

Why should you expect many ICU patients from a sport event where most of them are in 99 percent controlled environment, most are young.

Max_Power

Rinkside
I love how after multiple skaters have spoken up about the conditions at worlds, we still have this debate :laugh: But then again, maybe they were saying it for "competitive advantages" as was suggested.

Those skaters were also, of course, not "scientists, virologists, or doctors" - unlike the ones who NEEDED to SKATE, who will be continuing their work with the Red Cross, and Doctors Without Borders now that the World Championships have concluded. Lakernik will be soon receiving the Nobel Prize in Medicine, I've heard.
of course they re are not- but as you and some others are holding negative opinions without profont knowledge and the virus about this event, how you dare to attack experts.

Max_Power

Rinkside
I truly do not understand this, I'm sorry,

The danger of a communicable virus is being around other people. So at every point that I am around other people, I wear a mask. So does my spousal unit, and he is vaccinated! If I am sitting home with my spousal unit, I do not wear a mask.

If a skater is sitting home, they do not need to wear a mask). If they are around other people in a rink, they wear a mask. (one that covers their nose, or else it is useless). It is only common courtesy, to me, if nothing else.

So not carrying an umbrella or wearing a seatbelt is me sitting at home. Not me at the rink.🤷‍♀️
they are around people who are all frequently tested and negative...where should they get the virus from?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
they are around people who are all frequently tested and negative...where should they get the virus from?
It does take a while for the virus to multiple enough in the body to be picked up by the test unfortunately. You can literally test negative and a few hours later have enough virus load in the body to become infectious.

So because there was no actual quarantine period - the virus takes 5 to 14 days to incubate it could indeed be lurking.

Having said that, I think some apologies are due to Team Russia who have indeed followed all the protocols and not complained about it. So there you go.

Max_Power

Rinkside
It does take a while for the virus to multiple enough in the body to be picked up by the test unfortunately. You can literally test negative and a few hours later have enough virus load in the body to become infectious.

So because there was no actual quarantine period - the virus takes 5 to 14 days to incubate it could indeed be lurking.

Having said that, I think some apologies are due to Team Russia who have indeed followed all the protocols and not complained about it. So there you go.
Yes but this doesnt happen frequently that it incubates after more than 5 days. thats why in countries like germany you can be tested free after 5 days and negative tests

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are false negatives. It takes longer than the time of the event to truly test.

If skaters felt they could waltz around without masks because they 1) earlier had COVID or 2) tested negative, that simply is not the science.

My concern is any failure to observe the very safety protocols designed to protect the skaters. *after* entry into the "bubble".

But I don't think we will convince each other, so I will bow out now. :)

Max_Power

Rinkside
There are false negatives. It takes longer than the time of the event to truly test.

If skaters felt they could waltz around without masks because they 1) earlier had COVID or 2) tested negative, that simply is not the science.

My concern is any failure to observe the very safety protocols designed to protect the skaters. *after* entry into the "bubble".

But I don't think we will convince each other, so I will bow out now. :)
Again, how frequently does this happen? and again, they didnt walk around without mask, just during the performances they didnt wear it. and again, the event is over, the bubble worked 99,99999999999%. Probs and thanks to all the experts involved...i wish some of you would apologize for their rude opinions.

Country
Norway
I was a still reader until now, but I cant take this anymore.

Why are you that rude? What is wrong to throw this rude opinions and attack the event and organizers.? The event is over, the bubble has worked. Yes there were 3 cases but among over 3000 tests its nothing compared to the normal positve cases.

If you are in a bubble and are tested frequently you CAN have closer contact, because everyone is tested and negative.
And yes you can do team numbers without mask because again EVERYONE involved is NEGATIVE

Do you know that the virus can only be spread if somebody has the virus inside the bubble...it's not coming in by plane oder taxi.

Are you a scientist, doctor or virologist and have the knowledge to know it better than the experts in Stockholm? Yes! there are experts involved.

Please get over it and accept that it was a successfull event.

Is the event successful when 3 participants must stay back in a city with Covid, when the hospitals have full ICU? How can they ensure the event is safe and that they are taking the safety seriously when this is the case?

Is the event successful when the organizers several times aren´t following their own health protocols and not enforcing others to do so?

Have you ever heard of incubation time, asymptomatic spread, false negative test? How can you be sure there is no virus in the bubble when close contacts are free to go after the first negative test? You don´t!

But yes, that will be the narrative ISU wants to tell us, because those who test positive in the upcoming day will not be part of the event narrative. Because clearly they were negative under the event because they were frequently tested and false negatives and incubation time doesn´t exist.

I don´t know why you are so bothered by my response. Isn´t critical questions allowed? In case you havn´t noticed it this is the thread about ISU safety regarding worlds. It´s my opinion it´s seriously questionable. I never did express my opinions in the others threads regarding worlds in the general discussions, you were all allowed to enjoy, talk and express your feelings about the events without any critics. But if you enter a thread about safety measures you should be able to deal with others being critical.

I´m not okay with the organizers making skaters go to event that it´s unsafe to fight for olympic spots, and make them stay as long as possible for a gala event that is not necessary. If you want to call it a success, fine by me. But i´m not going to.

Last edited: