Jackson Premiere - tongue issues | Golden Skate

Jackson Premiere - tongue issues

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Hello! I bought my Jackson Premiere boots back in early 2021. I skate on average 6 hrs per week for let’s say 5-6 months out of the year. I am an adult skater doing my single jumps and don’t have any plans to move on to doubles any time soon. So far I have salchow, toe loop, loop and flip (last 2 not consistent).

I’ve noticed during my last couple of sessions that I get a lot of front ankle pain regardless of wearing the Jackson footless booties. It helped a lot in the beginning but now the pain is getting worse. I noticed that the tongue has a U shape cut out and exactly at the ridge of the U is where I get the pain. I don’t see any signs of break down on the boot other than the creasing on the tongue and the lack of padding behind the U shape cutout. I cannot recall how much padding was initially behind that cutout.

Now I don’t know what this means for me and if I truly need new skates or not. I am 5’4” and 118lbs. I am hoping with this information someone can help to remedy my issues or if I need to invest in new skates. Alternatively I’m wondering if perhaps I can send the boots back to Jackson and have them change it to a different tongue all together.

Lastly - I’ve been skating on Matrix Legacy blades. I can spin fine on them but backspins are like non-existed. I can only get 1-2 rotations if I’m lucky. Would it be a good time to start looking into Coronation Ace?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Reverie

On the Ice
I am pretty certain the tongue on Jackson boots can be upgraded to one with better padding. The base tongue appears poorly padded in my opinion.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I bought my Jackson Premiere boots back in early 2021. I skate on average 6 hrs per week for let’s say 5-6 months out of the year. I am an adult skater doing my single jumps and don’t have any plans to move on to doubles any time soon. So far I have salchow, toe loop, loop and flip (last 2 not consistent).

I’ve noticed during my last couple of sessions that I get a lot of front ankle pain regardless of wearing the Jackson footless booties. It helped a lot in the beginning but now the pain is getting worse. I noticed that the tongue has a U shape cut out and exactly at the ridge of the U is where I get the pain. I don’t see any signs of break down on the boot other than the creasing on the tongue and the lack of padding behind the U shape cutout. I cannot recall how much padding was initially behind that cutout.

Now I don’t know what this means for me and if I truly need new skates or not. I am 5’4” and 118lbs. I am hoping with this information someone can help to remedy my issues or if I need to invest in new skates. Alternatively I’m wondering if perhaps I can send the boots back to Jackson and have them change it to a different tongue all together.

Lastly - I’ve been skating on Matrix Legacy blades. I can spin fine on them but backspins are like non-existed. I can only get 1-2 rotations if I’m lucky. Would it be a good time to start looking into Coronation Ace?

Thank you!
It may just be the tongue and you might be able to remedy it by using lambs wool (as long as you aren't allergic to wool as many are), or possibly wear bunga pads and see if that will fix it. Otherwise with the jumping you are doing and how long you've had the boots, you probably need an upgrade to a different stiffer style, as well as trying the coro aces.

Good luck!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP: As an alternative to lambs wool, you can try a tongue liner made from sponge foam rubber. I've given previous instructions here for a full tongue liner:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...nths-lts-adult-w-no-jumps.92275/#post-2982817 Reply #6

In your instance, I would recommend a liner just for the top portion of the tongue. Start with a roughly rectangular piece with a width ~3/8" less than the width of the tongue and extending from the top of the tongue to just above the flex notch. Trim as needed.

My post cited above discusses various foams to try out for temporary liners, as well as Poron foam for long-lasting ones. Poron is not as readily available as it was several years ago, but if you're in the US (other than Alaska and Hawaii), I can refer you to a supplier.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
OP: As an alternative to lambs wool, you can try a tongue liner made from sponge foam rubber. I've given previous instructions here for a full tongue liner:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...nths-lts-adult-w-no-jumps.92275/#post-2982817 Reply #6

In your instance, I would recommend a liner just for the top portion of the tongue. Start with a roughly rectangular piece with a width ~3/8" less than the width of the tongue and extending from the top of the tongue to just above the flex notch. Trim as needed.

My post cited above discusses various foams to try out for temporary liners, as well as Poron foam for long-lasting ones. Poron is not as readily available as it was several years ago, but if you're in the US (other than Alaska and Hawaii), I can refer you to a supplier.
I live in Canada but I found some 6mm Poron sheets at Michaels. I will check in store to see if they have different thicknesses. If a couple of dollars can save my skates it’s way better than buying a whole new set of boots. Plus I feel like my boots are still supportive minus the tongue issue.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
It may just be the tongue and you might be able to remedy it by using lambs wool (as long as you aren't allergic to wool as many are), or possibly wear bunga pads and see if that will fix it. Otherwise with the jumping you are doing and how long you've had the boots, you probably need an upgrade to a different stiffer style, as well as trying the coro aces.

Good luck!
I will look into changing my blades soon - will also discuss with my coach. I can’t use lambswool for personal reasons but will try the poron sheets like someone else suggested. 2nd option is sending it back to Jackson or going to my shop and have them do some adjustments to the tongue or go with another tongue. Absolute worst case scenario is looking to get the synergy skates.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I live in Canada but I found some 6mm Poron sheets at Michaels. I will check in store to see if they have different thicknesses. If a couple of dollars can save my skates it’s way better than buying a whole new set of boots. Plus I feel like my boots are still supportive minus the tongue issue.
Great that you've got a local supplier. Poron comes in a wide range of firmness. As I mentioned in the other post, buy "ultrasoft", "very soft", or "soft", but not "medium", "firm", or above. A 6 mm thickness should do fine. You can use two layers if needed if you can't find an intermediate thickness. The softest grades are squishy, and flatten substantially when laced up. Hope this works. Besides the cost savings of replacing the tongues, you also have no downtime (shipping the boots out, replacing the tongues, shipping the boots back) this way. Good Luck!

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Just a quick update: since I’ve been having this issue my skates are actually breaking down and getting softer. I am testing in 2 weeks so it should be ok until then but I’m going this week to get fitted for new skates. I don’t plan to use the new skates for testing and would most likely have to wait 2 weeks as I hope to get the new Synergy boots rapid custom.