Jackson's Fit Well But Not Enough Ankle Padding | Golden Skate

Jackson's Fit Well But Not Enough Ankle Padding

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi All,

My 12 year old is getting towards the end of a year in her Jackson Premieres, and while they fit well she's really getting some discomfort in her ankles even with her sleeves and gel discs. Her fitter says there just isn't enough padding, and punching isn't possible because of the location of the hooks. She's only ever worn Jacksons, and I've read somewhere here that the Elite (next model up from Premiere) has even less padding. I don't know how custom "custom" Jacksons really are. I've heard varying descriptions about what they really do and whether you can change padding, and at $1,000+ I hope we can find another solution.

So, when next we look at boots we are considering at least trying one of the Risport models if we can find a dealer (I don't know if our current fitter would do it). Anyone with young skaters have any comments about fit, which model is comparable? It looks to me like the Royal Elite or RF3 Pro are labeled for doubles. She's finally landing clean 2Lz's and hopefully will start 2A soon. Our other option aside from custom Jacksons is Sp-Teri, but again bordering on $1,000. The Risports look well short of that. Her current Premiere's were a semi-custom C/A (wide forefoot, narrow heel). That was a nice $50 option to be able to get and would be one reason to keep her in a Premiere another season, if we can come up with a solution to the ankle pain.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi All,

My 12 year old is getting towards the end of a year in her Jackson Premieres, and while they fit well she's really getting some discomfort in her ankles even with her sleeves and gel discs. Her fitter says there just isn't enough padding, and punching isn't possible because of the location of the hooks. She's only ever worn Jacksons, and I've read somewhere here that the Elite (next model up from Premiere) has even less padding. I don't know how custom "custom" Jacksons really are. I've heard varying descriptions about what they really do and whether you can change padding, and at $1,000+ I hope we can find another solution.

So, when next we look at boots we are considering at least trying one of the Risport models if we can find a dealer (I don't know if our current fitter would do it). Anyone with young skaters have any comments about fit, which model is comparable? It looks to me like the Royal Elite or RF3 Pro are labeled for doubles. She's finally landing clean 2Lz's and hopefully will start 2A soon. Our other option aside from custom Jacksons is Sp-Teri, but again bordering on $1,000. The Risports look well short of that. Her current Premiere's were a semi-custom C/A (wide forefoot, narrow heel). That was a nice $50 option to be able to get and would be one reason to keep her in a Premiere another season, if we can come up with a solution to the ankle pain.

Jackson should be able to accommodate her with a custom. Otherwise I would look into Risport. Consider this a bookmark for me to come back and elaborate on model for her. I just cannot right this moment.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
On Ic3Rabbit's advice, I had a look at Risport. Tried on a fairly new pair of Royal Elites belonging to a friend yesterday, although I'm actually more inclined towards the Royal Pro as I don't jump. Oh my. The comfort! I have a high arch and wider front foot, and very unhappy feet and ankles with my current Graf Edmonton Specials. Definitely investigate Risport.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jackson should be able to accommodate her with a custom. Otherwise I would look into Risport. Consider this a bookmark for me to come back and elaborate on model for her. I just cannot right this moment.

@OP...Royal Pro would be the most equivalent to the Jackson she is currently in as far as Risport is concerned, it may have more padding where she needs it. RF3 is too low rated and all the others are too highly rated.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks, that's one I was thinking about but I didn't see a reference at Risport for jumps at first. Now I see the little icon that says 2 3, which I think means doubles and triples.

We go in for a sharpening soon so I'll ask what they think. If they can't order them we'd have to travel down South which these days is tough. She hasn't complained much lately except when she's put lots of hours in, but then again she usually just says it's just pain.

Nimyue

On the Ice
My custom Jackson Elites, had VERY little padding. There is plastic within the boot's ankle and the edges of the plastic dug into my ankles because there wasn't enough padding. I had my fitter unstitch them and add Achilles padding. So if you do go with Elites, have Jackson add extra achilles padding and other extra padding if possible. But the Elites were far less comfortable than the Premiere/Freestyle type of boot.

That being said, anecdotally, I had Freestyles and they felt great, but nearing break down I had similar issues. I had custom Elites, and they were horrible. I simply can't wear them. I tried the Risport Royal Pro, and they are HEAVENLY. The padding is very thick and comfortable. The toe box is slightly narrower in the Risport. I have very wide feet, and that's sort of my only issue. I say sort of because compared to everything else I've tried, they work the best, so I can live with it.

The Risports have a lower ankle, which was daunting at first, but I got used to it quickly. The heel is lower, but the pitch is more agressive, so it doesn't feel much lower.

I don't love Edeas, but that's another option. The padding is very thick on them. They have a lower heel than Jackson, but higher than Risport with the same aggressive pitch, so sometimes they feel higher. They are also so much more expensive.

So if you branch out of Jackson, I'd recommend trying the Risport first before Edea. But if you have a fitter that does both, that might be convenient for you.

FWIW I flipping love my Risports, but I'm an old lady who really appreciates the lower heel and generous padding. Your child will probably have different priorities.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks for all those comments. The most important thing for her is stiffness. She's got to feel secure. She's had no issue moving between Jackson models, no break in at all for any of them. This is the first time she's had an issue and it may have been due to overuse.

Our fitter will have nothing to do with Edea, admittedly to their detriment, but they are so far away from the boots they used to build that they can't do it. Risport may be a possibility. I always assumed she'd just go to the Elite next, now it's in question, fitter says she could do another Premiere, but they've ruined it with the plastic "Duraguard" film and she says, nope. They have a new model, the 5300, but I don't know how much has changed from the 5200. She's doing better pain wise now that we've been forced to dial back a bit.

Thanks again, I'm glad there were some here with experience in both. I wish it was easier to travel to get fitted, but maybe, just maybe I can convince her fitter to branch out a bit to Risport!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
On Ic3Rabbit's advice, I ordered myself a pair of Risport Royal Pros as I need the comfort at the moment, and also need more space at the front of the foot than the heel to accommodate my high instep. As I mentioned above, I'd briefly tried on a pair of Royal Elites belonging to a friend, albeit in a size up from the one I felt I needed. As we have no skate shop or fitter for hundreds of miles, I found a highly-recommended skate shop and fitter and ordered after a conversation on the phone.

Oh my. The comfort. So much comfort. My feet are snug, supported and very, very comfortable. None of my sore arthritic or swollen bits hurt in these boots. I am thrilled. It remains to be seen how I find them when I skate in them, but so far it's looking good! In fact, I'm sorely tempted to transfer my Off-Ice wheels onto these and order myself another pair for ice!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
On Ic3Rabbit's advice, I ordered myself a pair of Risport Royal Pros as I need the comfort at the moment, and also need more space at the front of the foot than the heel to accommodate my high instep. As I mentioned above, I'd briefly tried on a pair of Royal Elites belonging to a friend, albeit in a size up from the one I felt I needed. As we have no skate shop or fitter for hundreds of miles, I found a highly-recommended skate shop and fitter and ordered after a conversation on the phone.

Oh my. The comfort. So much comfort. My feet are snug, supported and very, very comfortable. None of my sore arthritic or swollen bits hurt in these boots. I am thrilled. It remains to be seen how I find them when I skate in them, but so far it's looking good! In fact, I'm sorely tempted to transfer my Off-Ice wheels onto these and order myself another pair for ice!

:rock:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
@WednesdayMarch - I just got the Pic skates (you may have seen that transaction on Facebook) with the Risport RF3 boot.
Never, ever tried Risport before and oh my, are these some nice boots. Good padding, fit pretty well for stock; just a little loose in the heel.

I may have to order a pair of boots alone and put my older Phantoms on them and try them for ice skating. Gosh, I feel like I could be a traitor to my longtime Harlicks. :laugh:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
@WednesdayMarch - I just got the Pic skates (you may have seen that transaction on Facebook) with the Risport RF3 boot.
Never, ever tried Risport before and oh my, are these some nice boots. Good padding, fit pretty well for stock; just a little loose in the heel.

I may have to order a pair of boots alone and put my older Phantoms on them and try them for ice skating. Gosh, I feel like I could be a traitor to my longtime Harlicks. :laugh:

Oh my! I didn't see that transaction on Facebook! How exciting! Did you buy a them as a second-hand set or a set from a store? How do you find the Pic skates? As you are probably aware, I'm not exactly loving the Off-Ice ones I have...

I had Risport boots before, way back in the early or mid-90s. I wore the Super Diamant and absolutely loved them. I have really no idea why I suddenly decided one day that I needed SP Teris, but I did. Truth is, I wanted the SP Teris, I didn't actually need them. I think we all recognise that scenario... :rolleye:

I bought the Royal Pros to replace the pair of brand new, unworn Size 4.5M Edmonton Specials that I had my Phantoms transferred to in readiness for my return to the ice, just before my feet decided to swell and become painful. Not that I have any ice to return to here yet. :( I'm really hoping that I can put the Phantoms on the Royal Pros, although they are 9.25"s and Risport's chart recommends that size blade for the 250s, and I have 245s. They are so comfortable that I'm secretly considering buying a second pair anyway, as they are way more comfortable than the 4.5L (wide) Edmonton Specials that I currently have my Off-Ice skates on. Those fit okay but I have to admit to not being overly comfortable in them with my sore feet. (We won't mention the other pair of Edmonton Specials in 4.5M that originally had my Off-Ice skates on but only got worn twice before I admitted defeat and swapped to the wider ones. This skating business will ruin me.)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Without totally hijacking your thread:
I bought them from an inline participant based in Ireland. The set is in pristine condition - both boots and Pic frame / wheels / stopper. They are much easier to skate in over "regular" inline skates, which I'd tried before but could never get the hang of.
That said, I really don't expect to practice all the ice skating spins and jumps that I can do, in these Pics. But then again, you never know.

What I recall about European-made boots vs American-made boots back in the 90s was that the overall look of the American boots were sleeker. Wifas and Grafs looked clunkier, at least to me. Perhaps that sleekness was part of the seduction of your SP-Teri purchase. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
RE: The Risport boot trend here now. You are all welcome. :laugh::dev3:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Without totally hijacking your thread:
I bought them from an inline participant based in Ireland. The set is in pristine condition - both boots and Pic frame / wheels / stopper. They are much easier to skate in over "regular" inline skates, which I'd tried before but could never get the hang of.
That said, I really don't expect to practice all the ice skating spins and jumps that I can do, in these Pics. But then again, you never know.

What I recall about European-made boots vs American-made boots back in the 90s was that the overall look of the American boots were sleeker. Wifas and Grafs looked clunkier, at least to me. Perhaps that sleekness was part of the seduction of your SP-Teri purchase. :)

I definitely really liked the look of them!

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Sorry to revive an old thread and I promise I’m not stalking @Sibelius but it seems like my skater is always right behind yours and facing similar issues. lol.

I was wondering what you ended up in. Our Edea fitter recently has been offering Risport. My DD has liked the edea concerto after switching from Jackson. But I can’t help but feel like they aren’t quite right. Her jumps haven’t been as big and her tongue slips a lot. She didn’t like the Ice Fly. I’m guessing since they didn’t have the traditional skate feel as much as the Concerto. Before we go for skates again, I’m thinking of having her try Risport. The Jackson’s were nice for a time but she was in between the widths for the ball of her foot. Its only somewhat wide so when we tried actual wider skates she ended up sloppy and not having good edge control. We went on to Edea since she loves her ankle loose and ended up wearing out her Jackson Debut prematurely by leaving them loose and jumping hard. They always seemed too high on the ankle for her as well. She has a slightly high arch and pronates which we accommodate with an insole so if the Risport would support her arch that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance. Also hope to hear from Risport wearers on some of the features....bonus if there’s anyone with knowledge of switching from Edea to Risport. Plus needing background on stiffness. My DD is under 100lbs working on 2lz now. She’s getting consistent on all the others. Even the 2toe. Phew finally. lol.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry to revive an old thread and I promise I’m not stalking @Sibelius but it seems like my skater is always right behind yours and facing similar issues. lol.

I was wondering what you ended up in. Our Edea fitter recently has been offering Risport. My DD has liked the edea concerto after switching from Jackson. But I can’t help but feel like they aren’t quite right. Her jumps haven’t been as big and her tongue slips a lot. She didn’t like the Ice Fly. I’m guessing since they didn’t have the traditional skate feel as much as the Concerto. Before we go for skates again, I’m thinking of having her try Risport. The Jackson’s were nice for a time but she was in between the widths for the ball of her foot. Its only somewhat wide so when we tried actual wider skates she ended up sloppy and not having good edge control. We went on to Edea since she loves her ankle loose and ended up wearing out her Jackson Debut prematurely by leaving them loose and jumping hard. They always seemed too high on the ankle for her as well. She has a slightly high arch and pronates which we accommodate with an insole so if the Risport would support her arch that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance. Also hope to hear from Risport wearers on some of the features....bonus if there’s anyone with knowledge of switching from Edea to Risport. Plus needing background on stiffness. My DD is under 100lbs working on 2lz now. She’s getting consistent on all the others. Even the 2toe. Phew finally. lol.
I'm the Risport expert around here and everyone will tell you that, as they've thanked me many times for suggesting them and they love them, right @WednesdayMarch and others??

Your daughter sounds like she has the perfect foot for a Risport, feel free to inbox me and I can give you more personalized suggestions for her.

Sibelius

On the Ice

Nothing yet sadly, we are still off the ice here. It's been 4 months since she's skated. I have her try her boots on every so often and they still fit, but who knows how they'll be once she's back on. I still expect we'll give the Risport's a try when it's time though, before we go to customs. I would expect that the rinks will be open shortly, we're moving in the right direction to allow it to happen. I wish you well on your choices.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Nothing yet sadly, we are still off the ice here. It's been 4 months since she's skated. I have her try her boots on every so often and they still fit, but who knows how they'll be once she's back on. I still expect we'll give the Risport's a try when it's time though, before we go to customs. I would expect that the rinks will be open shortly, we're moving in the right direction to allow it to happen. I wish you well on your choices.
Oh no, I’m sorry to hear that. Luckily we’ve had ice since June. It’s been an adjustment with the restrictions but so far so good. We had shut down from March to June so a similar time frame. The stinker was told to take it easy but that meant only an axel the first day. I wasn’t happy but the coach had been preparing them with off ice and she was on the ice with the coach. She at least waited till the end of the session and a run through of all other singles. Oh to be young again.....

I really hope DD can try on the risport. The skate dealer has just started carrying them, and she basically works out of her basement. She’s super accommodating and I hope since the edea and the Jackson weren’t quite right, my DD will make a good choice. The edeas switch really was driven by not feeling quite right with the Jackson. We shall see. 🤞🏻 She’s turning into a teen!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm the Risport expert around here and everyone will tell you that, as they've thanked me many times for suggesting them and they love them, right @WednesdayMarch and others??

Your daughter sounds like she has the perfect foot for a Risport, feel free to inbox me and I can give you more personalized suggestions for her.
Sorry? Who are you? Oh yes, The Oracle! :laugh:

Yes, I absolutely love my Risports. Love, love, love them. Now all I need is a lifting of our lockdown and the return of our ice rink to ice rather than a vaccination centre. Or at the very least a return to wheels in a sports hall, as I have Risport for both wheels and ice now. Yes, I loved them that much!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh no, I’m sorry to hear that. Luckily we’ve had ice since June. It’s been an adjustment with the restrictions but so far so good. We had shut down from March to June so a similar time frame. The stinker was told to take it easy but that meant only an axel the first day. I wasn’t happy but the coach had been preparing them with off ice and she was on the ice with the coach. She at least waited till the end of the session and a run through of all other singles. Oh to be young again.....

I really hope DD can try on the risport. The skate dealer has just started carrying them, and she basically works out of her basement. She’s super accommodating and I hope since the edea and the Jackson weren’t quite right, my DD will make a good choice. The edeas switch really was driven by not feeling quite right with the Jackson. We shall see. 🤞🏻 She’s turning into a teen!
I offered you help with risport, but you skipped over it? I'm here if you need it.