Japanese coming of age ceremony | Golden Skate

Japanese coming of age ceremony

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I learned something today.
The Japanese have coming of age ceremonies.
In Japan,Today:1/11 is the coming-of-age ceremony! We Japanese celebrate young-generation 20-year-old at the day.The girl wear "Kimono"♡ So,Kaori also is 20adult♡ She looks good in Kimono♡"Kaori.......,Congratulation on your coming of age ceremony♡" I hope your dreams come true!!
Kaori Sakamoto.jpg

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a lovely custom. We lived in Japan for a few years about 20 years ago, and often we'd see people in traditional clothing mixed in with people in modern styles on the street. Not, as far as I could tell, special occasions, just shopping and so forth. More women than men, more older than younger, but not exclusively. Of course, their kimono weren't as elaborate as the one in the photo you shared.

In contrast to how I imagine we'd view someone in centuries-old clothing styles in America, these people looked to be treated with the greatest respect - which may have been a function of the age of some of the wearers. I wonder how that goes today.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is a lovely custom. We lived in Japan for a few years about 20 years ago, and often we'd see people in traditional clothing mixed in with people in modern styles on the street. Not, as far as I could tell, special occasions, just shopping and so forth. More women than men, more older than younger, but not exclusively. Of course, their kimono weren't as elaborate as the one in the photo you shared.

In contrast to how I imagine we'd view someone in centuries-old clothing styles in America, these people looked to be treated with the greatest respect - which may have been a function of the age of some of the wearers. I wonder how that goes today.
Thanks! Oh the memories you must have of that time........I feel that the Japanese have a very interesting culture and they dont forget their past...and honor some of it. I love the kimonos....
Americans by contrast, with an entirely different history and experience...being a melting pot and a country so young....do have traditions of clothing from the past....but they are entirely different. I have friends who do Civil war re-enactments. I go to events where people like to dress up as buffalo hunters, frontiermen and women, etc. But I feel this is way different than what the Japanese do.
Kelly is all grown up now, but back in 2007 she was quite the target shooter.
Sandy10.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
To add, aside from Kaori, two Japanese skaters also turned 20 in the last year, so they had a Coming of Age ceremony too:

Wakaba Higuchi:

Yuhana Yokoi:

Yuhana is actually wearing her Mother's kimono, passed down to her.
Thanks for posting this.... I love Yuhana's Tom and Jerry skate and "All I ask of You"
Wakaba looks radiant....they are so lovely. Best wishes to them and all my Japanese skaters.
May the virus be beaten and they may all come to SkateAmerica and hopefully some year to Four CCs in the US.
(I watched NHK circa 2010 two days ago....Michael Weiss was commenting. He thought Yuzu showed alot of potential for the future.)