Jason Brown leaks a bit of "Schindler's List" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown leaks a bit of "Schindler's List"

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Obviously he needs to land the jumps, which is why I think we might not see this program
Perfect right away.

But there’s plenty to appreciate and enjoy without the jumps, I think that is what people are excited about. :)

If everything comes together this could be a stunner. But even if not perfect on the jumps I think it will still be a lovely program with many highlights to appreciate.

Watch

Final Flight
The program looks incredibly promising. I knew Jason had the artistic skills to do such a heavy topic justice when he announced the music. Can't wait to see the rest and, above everything else, I hope he's in a great shape and we can enjoy this program skated cleanly many times in the upcoming season!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
This is where I fault the language that has become common in describing figure skating. Somehow the word "technique" has been degraded to meaning "jumping."

I don't think so. I think that "figure skating technique" means something different altogether than whether you do a quad or not. What is "technical" about doing a quad? Technique, technique, technique, in every movement from beginning to end -- to me, that's what makes a performance sing.

When the ISU came out with the IJS in 2002, the abbreviation "TES" meant "Total Element Score." That is, the sum of the scores that you get for individual specified elements. Only later was this language confused into "Technical Element Score, as if, for instance, the program components SS an Tr are not "technical," as if Interpretation and Performance do not rely on technique.

I can't agree more with this and this is something I have been stressing ad nauseam for a long time. It really makes my blood boil when I see so many people mix "jumping" and "technical". Of course I am not trying to make excuses for Jason and his lack of quads, he could improve on them and have one or two of them in his programs which definitely won't hurt. But not having a quad (but with high quality 3As and all other triples) shouldn't be a nail on the coffin for top level skaters. Quads are important, but their importance shouldn't be so disproportionate as they are now.
Look at the way Jason has such minimum amount of preparation, going almost straight into jumps from beautiful transitions. That should be recognized and rewarded much more than the current scoring system give them credit to.
I really hope these videos will be noticed by ISU and make them reconsider just what is wrong with this sports as it stands today.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I think the programs are going to be very different, though, because Jason and Josh are so different. Although they both start with the same music - probably from the same recording - both in demeanor and choreography, Josh’s pain seems more contemplative and internalized, while Jason seems almost frantic and trapped in places. For me the different feel of the two programs is perfectly expressed in the contrasting instrumentation used in the main theme: for Josh, piano, and for Jason, violin.

I agree. Both Jason and DW are fully aware of several memorable SL programs already performed by other skaters, Josh, his good friend, and Julia Lipnitskaya whose epic performance he had witnessed right before his eyes in Sochi, just to mention two of them. I am sure he WILL aim to make a unique impact in his own way, something markedly different from other performances.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Beautiful! So beautiful!

I can’t wait to see the full video. :love:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Seeing what is the choice for this FS, I already knew that the story behind the music will not be treated superficially or served as a 'prop' for attention. What I did not expect at this stage, from just these snippets is how sorrow and somehow transcendent feel of the music, with this 'heavy' meaning behind are so very present in Jason's interpretation/movement. Especially following him with up close perspective highlighted that deep emotional investment into the program as a whole is possible without losing the quality of skating, making some kind of statement and mesmerize by how the body voice out soul feelings.

I think that it is quite a challenge to achieve that thin balance of showing off skater's best qualities, still accentuating the depth of meaning behind such music/the seriousness of story behind it. Jason, from those first glimpses, looks to capture that feat, making his usual beautiful skating meaningful and using it to bring the raw emotion carried by the story to people through FS channel.

I am glad that the choice and concept of a program/choreography were not decided as 'dark' or just sad/serious per se (looking at the story behind asnd sorowness of the music) - I think Jason's skating, the quality of lines, extensions, carriage, brings some kind of 'elevation of beauty' to this theme, in a sense of paying respect to the severity of the subject music cover. It could make as an effect kind of unique, bittersweet experience of being moved by both music/story AND the skating accompanying it, for variety of reasons. Which would make it even more special, personalized in perspective.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think I and others will enjoy this program as a piec of art regardless off the jumps. Now the scoring system I think unintentionally has fallen from its intended goal. The quad jumps are worth so much and some skaters are doing so many that the pcs have less impact. True beautiful pc skaters - there are some that work hard to be artists and some that are very innate, organic like Jason and in the past Lambiel, Chan and Buttle. Its in their souls. But if you skate tech well the judges tend to markup the pcs it would appear so even if Brown was say miracuously 5 pts ahead of Nathan - one quad jump and that advantage is obliterated. So if Jason gets a quad great but I will enjoy this program medal or no medal.

halulupu

Final Flight
I dont see him standing any chance if he is not getting finally any quads and consistent 3a unfortunatly. But nice choreo

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think judges reward Brown well for his skating. There are skaters who can't get 96 in SP with one or even two quads. Brown is litteraly the only one who can get 95+ without quads.
It's just that others skaters who should get lower pcs than him get overscored and finish with the same or higher pcs than him.
But imo, it's totally normal if Brown doesn't win against some skaters (those who have like 6 quads). PCS or not.

Bcash

Final Flight
Love the twizzle in the spiral sequence, the delayed entry, musical and emotional.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I also don't see Jason being underrated by the judges. He had many favorable placements during last season, and most of the times he placed poorly were primarily due to his own errors when others skated well. The judging system is working quite well for him and has probably given him some extra seasons of competitiveness despite the growth of quads at the top.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The main issue is that arguably there should be more of a gap with his PCS relative to some skaters and I do think he earns his PCS in spite of the technical disadvantage and without the unsaid quad boost that seems to occur with some top skaters with multiple quads.

All that said, I remember the days around here people questioned whether he would make it beyond juniors, so for him to be still around and all of us talking about him is pretty great.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I also don't see Jason being underrated by the judges. He had many favorable placements during last season, and most of the times he placed poorly were primarily due to his own errors when others skated well. The judging system is working quite well for him and has probably given him some extra seasons of competitiveness despite the growth of quads at the top.

Exactly. For example, in the LP at worlds he fell on the quad like Rizzo (but Rizzo's quad was rotated), but unlike Rizzo he botched his 3As. If he had landed his 3As cleanly he would have scored higher than Rizzo, so would have finished higher than him.
If he gets more consistency on non-quad jumps and gets all levels 4 in LP it will help him. Now if he can get a quad in each program, that means pretty competitive scores.

It is the long I believe.

Thanks.

Jason didn't ask me for my advice, but I wonder if he would consider putting his quad attempt in the short instead of the long this season. Same number of points, short or long.

But if he falls during this Schindler's List program it will break the spell. Likewise if he puts all his effort into a quad this could sap energy from the rest of the program even if it is successful. To me, creating a perfect work of art is a more laudable goal then grasping for points, at this stage of Jason's career.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have wanted to see Jason receive choreography from Wilson for a long time. I know this is going to end up being one of my favorite programs of all time, I can already feel the music through his movement and emotion.
I will say it now, this program will make me cry.

I'm also getting Paul Wylie flashback vibes to mid-90's when he skated to Schindler's List. The all-time standard for this movie soundtrack.
Jason is on his way to being right up there with this. I cannot wait to see the rest!:yes:

ETA: For those of you that haven't ever seen Wylie's version. The whole thing is a masterpiece, the middle section is especially phenomenal with the footwork, etc. I saw him skate this at least twice live back then and was shaken with tears both times, just very moving and emotional.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
But if he falls during this Schindler's List program it will break the spell. Likewise if he puts all his effort into a quad this could sap energy from the rest of the program even if it is successful. To me, creating a perfect work of art is a more laudable goal then grasping for points, at this stage of Jason's career.
That's exactly why i don't want to see Satoko attempt a 3A in her Schindler's list LP.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
ETA: For those of you that haven't ever seen Wylie's version. The whole thing is a masterpiece, the middle section is especially phenomenal with the footwork, etc. I saw him skate this at least twice live back then and was shaken with tears both times, just very moving and emotional.

I've never seen that program, so thank you for that. I think my stomach fell about a foot when he did that spreadeagle at the end! It was an exceptional performance.

Jason Brown is up there with John Curry in my skating pantheon. Very few make that level. I am not a fan of quads, for the same reasons that John Curry disliked triples; they can take so much away from the actual performance and continuity of the skating. Jason's skating is so beautiful that elements flow rather than punctuate.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Thanks so much for the Wylie clip, the performance was just awesome and I cannot imagine anyone doing that better, ever... Wylie had the full scale of emotions towards the music in his person including fiery temperament needed e.g. for that phenomenal footwork, WOW.