Johnny Weir on Dancing With the Stars | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir on Dancing With the Stars

noskates

Record Breaker
Didn't see this posted anywhere but the new cast of DWTS was announced. Johnny should be great on this show but he has hard acts to follow - Kristi and Meryl and Charlie.

HazyD

Rinkside
The British version made history recently with its first all-male pairing. First female pairing coming this season, also on the British version. Have to wonder if the American version is going to follow suit with Johnny.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
also Mirai, Adam Rippon and Tonya.
So how far did they go? Anyone won?

Yes -- Adam Rippon won.

Another outstanding DWTS contestant was Evan Lysacek, who was runner-up in the season right after he won the 2010 Olympics.

ETA: Johnny made an excellent intro. Figure skaters have always been criticized because many people think they have too much of an advantage. Johnny said his "time on the ice, his ability to emote to a song and his athletic strength will help him on the dancefloor, but dancing is going to be an entirely different skill to learn."

So, jumping in with this ahead of the accusations is smart. :) I haven't watched the show for years, but I'm miffed about Tom Bercheron not being on the show any more, unless it was his choice. Johnny's participation might get me to watch the season.

noskates

Record Breaker
Kristi and Meryl also won. I personally thought Tanya was a trainwreck.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Figure skaters, for obvious reasons, typically do well on DWTS, even if they don't win.

I think Johnny is a perfect choice. His personal style is perfect for this kind of show. And he is television savvy and will give the backstage portion of the show what they need and/or want for viewers.;)
Also, his musical sense and style, which if he is shown to advantage, could work very well. :thumbsup:

I don't know if this DWTS in the US will field a same sex couple. This question comes up every time an openly gay contestant is cast, but they have not done so yet.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't know if this DWTS in the US will field a same sex couple. This question comes up every time an openly gay contestant is cast, but they have not done so yet.

I don't think it would necessarily add anything to the show. DWTS has no issue casting and sharing personal stories of LGBT contestants and professional dancers, and treats this topic with as much dignity as can be expected from a reality series.

I am feeling really out of it. I have never heard of any of these celebrities except Johnny and a vague memory of basketball player Charles Oakley. :(

Anyway, Go, Johnny, go!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am feeling really out of it. I have never heard of any of these celebrities except Johnny and a vague memory of basketball player Charles Oakley. :(

Anyway, Go, Johnny, go!

Me neither, except for Anne Heche. She's an actress and starred in some TV show that took place in Alaska years ago and in a few movies (one with Harrison Ford), but she's apparently graduated to either directing or writing or both. I liked her 30-second introduction. Her voice is calmly confident. The show can use a bit of calm.

I think Johnny is a perfect choice. His personal style is perfect for this kind of show. And he is television savvy and will give the backstage portion of the show what they need and/or want for viewers.;)
Also, his musical sense and style, which if he is shown to advantage, could work very well. :thumbsup:

I totally agree. I think he wanted to be on the show back in 2010. But I think he'll be much better now than he would have then. He trusts himself more. (my "analysis.")

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/dancing-stars-2020-meet-season-121556220.html

link to list of 'stars'. I wasn't sure if I'd watch this year, but will tune in to watch Johnny and Chrishell (as a fan of the defunct All My Children) and Charles Oakley. Basketball players usually have a harder time due to their height. and yes, Johnny has a hard act to follow after Kristi, Meryl and Charlie AND Evan Lysacek!
I would like to see two ladies teamed up or two guys for something unique. Johnny would be great with another guy. Chrishell l like the fourth All My Children star I believe. Including Cameron Mathison, the war hero,,Susan Lucci and probably some other temporary or guest stars.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm glad to see so many positive comments about Johnny being on this show. Personally I really don't want him to dance with another guy. Not for any moral or prejudicial reasons. I've wanted him to be on this show for quite awhile now and anxious to see him shine. He started out skating pairs so he certainly knows how to present a partner. I feel that sometimes people see Johnny only as very flamboyant gay man (which he is) but I would like them to see how very talented he is as well and not making that same-sex statement. (I hope none of you take my comments the wrong way) I don't know a lot of the other celebs who were chosen but it appears to be somewhat formulaic. There's always a large football player, someone a little older than most, a young ingenue, a performer who can already dance (the Backstreet guy) which doesn't mean he can do ballroom but he can learn choreography, etc. etc. and a small bevy of unknowns (none of whom can usually dance) It's going to be a fun year no matter who Johnny ends up dancing with. I understand they changed the rules a little bit this year but haven't heard what they are.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Other than Johnny having "dance" experience. The real only other two that do are the Backstreet Boy AJ, and Nelly (the 90s rapper) and possibly the cheer lady. So this should be fun the only others I knew from the list are Anne Heche, and Jesse Metcalf.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, if Johnny will be in DWTS this season, I'll be watching! I don't have patience for most of the fluff on the show, so we'll fast forward that.

You go for it, Johnny! :hap10: :cheer:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Other than Johnny having "dance" experience. The real only other two that do are the Backstreet Boy AJ, and Nelly (the 90s rapper) and possibly the cheer lady. So this should be fun the only others I knew from the list are Anne Heche, and Jesse Metcalf.

I think it ends up becoming a popularity contest anyway, so while his ability might help get higher scores at the beginning, everyone left usually gets 9s and 10s by the last few episodes.