Johnny Weir on Dancing With the Stars | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir on Dancing With the Stars

Xena45

Rinkside
When Johnny is good, he's very good! I watch the show mostly just to see him. But I really do wish that he'd gotten a different, more experienced pro - a ballroom dancer! To me, that's the biggest issue. Also, I hate to say this, but the costuming has been very hit and miss. Overall appeal is a big part of getting votes, imho, so costuming is kind of important.

I thought that the feature before this last dance (where Johnny talked about being 16 years old and what was said to him and his mother when he was approached by a figure skating agent) was really effective. I can't imagine. I'm so impressed by Johnny, and his mom.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maks seems to agree with us about Britt not really having the needed ballroom background, and Johnny really having the capability (Maks's word).

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Johnny's Quickstep just now -- a new all-time favorite dance. So much fun, so much quickstep, but also so much originality. Wow!

I just know I'm going to watch it again and again, like Meryl's and Maks's Argentine Tango, Mark's and Lindsey Stirling's freestyle, Kristi's and Mark's freestyle -- and now Johnny's and Britt's Quickstep.

Johnny's Quickstep just now -- a new all-time favorite dance. So much fun, so much quickstep, but also so much originality. Wo!
Plus, the HAIR! :laugh:

I just know I'm going to watch it again and again, like Meryl's and Maks's Argentine Tango, Mark's and Lindsey Stirling's freestyle, Kristi's and Mark's freestyle -- and now Johnny's and Britt's Quickstep.
Not Kristi and Mark's jive? :love:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Didn't Kristi and Mark do two jives? I liked the first better IIRC, but both were fantastic.

And Derek could ease up a little on the eyeliner, btw.

TeamBrijo

Spectator
Hi everyone! I'm here as a long time skating fan of Johnny Weir. I'm new this forum but I'm so excited to see there are fans out here like me rooting for Johnny. I honestly do not like Maks and how he talks about the pros. Britt has been doing ballroom for about 5 years now but he still makes out that she isn't good enough. It's frustrating that he can't find one positive thing to say about her when I feel she's doing a great job with Johnny. Johnny loves her and they have an amazing connection.

I don't know if anyone watched the elimination tonight but Johnny got a perfect score and still ended up in the bottom 2. He cried and so did I. Thankfully the judges saved him but that means that his fan support is small. We have to vote to keep him in it. Please come out and support Johnny next Monday so he can make it to the finals. He's not the best dancer left but he's got the most heart and it would mean the world to him to be in the finals.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welcome to Goldenskate @TeamBrijo, post long and post often! I was scared for Johnny tonight, but the judges did the right thing.

Goldenskate also has a "FanFests" for retired greats, and although not very active, there are some videos of Johnny as a skater there.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi everyone! I'm here as a long time skating fan of Johnny Weir. I'm new this forum but I'm so excited to see there are fans out here like me rooting for Johnny. I honestly do not like Maks and how he talks about the pros. Britt has been doing ballroom for about 5 years now but he still makes out that she isn't good enough. It's frustrating that he can't find one positive thing to say about her when I feel she's doing a great job with Johnny. Johnny loves her and they have an amazing connection.

I don't know if anyone watched the elimination tonight but Johnny got a perfect score and still ended up in the bottom 2. He cried and so did I. Thankfully the judges saved him but that means that his fan support is small. We have to vote to keep him in it. Please come out and support Johnny next Monday so he can make it to the finals. He's not the best dancer left but he's got the most heart and it would mean the world to him to be in the finals.
This is just based off the latest episode:
I think they both could be better. Johnny doesn't move as quickly, sharply, and seamlessly as I expected. He looked a little stiff and stomped a bit on his steps. In trying to take a more feminine role, his flaws are more noticeable in comparison to his partner. On the other hand, I saw some issues with footwork backing into a corner that was shouldn't happen. The reason it happens, I think, is that Johnny wants to take a more feminine or androgynous role, but his partner in still a traditional feminine role. Britt needs to meet him halfway instead of being in a completely feminine role.
Just in IMO.

TeamBrijo

Spectator
This is just based off the latest episode:
I think they both could be better. Johnny doesn't move as quickly, sharply, and seamlessly as I expected. He looked a little stiff and stomped a bit on his steps. In trying to take a more feminine role, his flaws are more noticeable in comparison to his partner. On the other hand, I saw some issues with footwork backing into a corner that was shouldn't happen. The reason it happens, I think, is that Johnny wants to take a more feminine or androgynous role, but his partner in still a traditional feminine role. Britt needs to meet him halfway instead of being in a completely feminine role.
Just in IMO.
I don't know that he can be better. I do believe Johnny is giving 100% effort in practice and on the dance floor. I truly think dancing isn't as natural to him as it has been for a lot of the other skaters who have been on the show. That could come from him never taking dance lessons and all of them having done some as figure skaters. But I also think he's just not a natural which is tough since he was such a natural on the ice. But he's said in interviews before that he's not a good dancer. I feel he has improved dramatically from the beginning of the show until now but he's not perfect. I wouldn't have given him a 30 on his quickstep but I'm not mad at it either since I thought he should have gotten 10s for his foxtrot.

I thought the both of them being feminine on the quickstep actually worked. I liked it. But I see what you mean in other dances like the salsa. I was under the impression that that was a deliberate decision on their part since it was supposed to reflect his girlfriends and nights out on the town with them. They seem to be challenging the idea that you have to have a masculine and a feminine role to look correct. They're doing something different so it does look a bit odd since we've never seen that before. I'm not a big fan of it myself but I'm a huge Johnny fan so it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Last night was the best they've ever done with the androgyny to me. I loved the look of their quickstep, mistakes and all, and I loved the look for their jive.

TeamBrijo

Spectator
Welcome to Goldenskate @TeamBrijo, post long and post often! I was scared for Johnny tonight, but the judges did the right thing.

Goldenskate also has a "FanFests" for retired greats, and although not very active, there are some videos of Johnny as a skater there.
Thank you! I'm excited to be here. I was terrified for Johnny too. They should have voted unanimously for him to stay. I couldn't believe Derek voted to save AJ who I love but is not even close to being as good a dancer as Johnny. Johnny isn't the best dancer left either but he's the one I love the most.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Kristi and Mark do two jives? I liked the first better IIRC, but both were fantastic.

And Derek could ease up a little on the eyeliner, btw.
I've never ever seen Derek wear eyeliner before. He was probably honoring an icon, since it was Icon Night.

I didn't like it, don't get me wrong. It kept surprising me, and I had to remind myself, it's more like a costume than anything.

I loved loved loved Johnny's Quick Step. Lots of content, and he gets so much respect for staying with his vision of what he wants to do. As he did as a competitive figure skater. I also find it disorienting that he dances in a more feminine way/role, but it's not surprising that he would be a trailblazer.

To me, Johnny and Britt broadcast the vibe of two "besties" having fun. The romantic and sexy aspects of ballroom are not in their wheelhouse. Oh well, you can't have everything.

The Catfish guy and his partner are sort of like that, too. Skai has to remain age-appropriate. And Justina has her own style and charm. I am greatly enjoing this season. :love:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For those of us still wishing for Tom Bergeron's perfect balance, here's a blast from the past, "the Pros You Chose" ... my two favorites btw. :)

Last edited:

TeamBrijo

Spectator
To me, Johnny and Britt broadcast the vibe of two "besties" having fun. The romantic and sexy aspects of ballroom are not in their wheelhouse. Oh well, you can't have everything.

The Catfish guy and his partner are sort of like that, too. Skai has to remain age-appropriate. And Justina has her own style and charm. I am greatly enjoing this season. :love:
I would normally agree but that jive dance-off was totally giving me sexy vibes. Or maybe it was just seeing Johnny in a sleeveless leather jacket and tight pants, lol. Either way, it was sexy to me. I thought their foxtrot had a romantic vibe to it too. Maybe I'm reading into it but if we didn't know Johnny was gay, I think it would super easy to ship him and Britt as a couple even with his more effeminate manner. I could be confusing chemistry with romance though so you are probably right. On the whole, I don't think any of the couples left have strong sexual chemistry between them and I'm quite happy about that. Showmances are annoying to me. I just want to enjoy the dancing and the friendships without all the extra, fake smaltzing for the camera and the votes. I'm enjoying the season immensely for that reason.

Nan

Rinkside
Adam, coming off as a popular figure from the Korea Olympics, was initially announced as a contestant against Harding, who the producers thought would give good ratings after the "I Tonya" movie. Thus Adam vs Tonya was hyped from the start. Other contestants were added later. Mirai badly wanted to be on the show, publicly lobbied for it, and was probably the last selected. Mirai created a problem for the producers. She danced as well as Adam, far better than Harding, and was an obstacle to the preordained Adam vs Tonya final. How to get Mirai out and Tonya in? In the penultimate show, the producers arranged a phony Adam vs Mirai skateoff to reach the finals. Tonya, well past her prime, had no skateoff requirement, with the skids greased for her advance to the final show. I am sure Mirai got her pride hurt, not reaching the finals against lesser dancers, but picked up a nice paycheck to soothe the loss. It's likely all contestants sign non disclosure statements, so the real story never comes out.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
So Justina Machado is a figure skating fan ;)

After watching, I don't think Weir's partner suffers from being someone who didn't do ballroom growing up when it just comes to her dancing. It's clear she has put in work as a dancer in ballroom. She is more Hayley Erbert to me than Allison Holker. But, it's true that if you haven't danced it for a really long time, you won't be able to teach or choreograph as effectively for beginners. Still doing a decent job though, and I'm sure she'll be even better if she makes a return next season.

Last edited:
Boooo!

Johnny was better than Nelly, Kaitlyn and Skai (although Skai was lovely in her last dance.). The top three should have been Johnny, Lev and Justina. Justina's last dance tonight was beautiful. Britt's choreography for Johnny was brilliant. I think Lev will win the whole thing.