Judging/Scoring | Golden Skate

Judging/Scoring

Znowflake

On the Ice
Do judges get any ongoing training or have to do continuing education re scoring, GOEs, etc? I have been looking at protocols and I don’t get how skaters can be rated a 4 by one judge and a -1 by another. Just curious if they actually have to maintain their cert through education/training etc

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Do judges get any ongoing training or have to do continuing education re scoring, GOEs, etc? I have been looking at protocols and I don’t get how skaters can be rated a 4 by one judge and a -1 by another. Just curious if they actually have to maintain their cert through education/training etc
Yes, they do.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Sometimes judges miss a deduction but a lot of times judges also have subconscious bias. So for certain skaters they have a GOE or score in mind and unless there is a blatant error they might be generous to them.

Same goes on the opposite end - some judges are quite strict in their assessment of GOE and PCS and don’t just hand out high scores like candy. They might actually consider things like air position, effortlessness, any scratch or touch down on the landing, quality of takeoff, etc., centering/position quality/number of rotations for spins, more than others. I.e. they are more serious about doing their job, lol.

There are also occasional data entry errors where a judge might give a +2 when they mean a -2.

It’s worth looking at the rest of that judge’s GOE and PCS to see if there is a trend in generosity or strictness.

Andrea82

Medalist

Judges with ISU status (able to judge at ISU Championships and GP Final) to be re-appointed need to
- have served, during the thirty-six (36) months preceding July 31st of the calendar year of the nomination, as a Referee, Judge, Trial Judge, Technical Controller or OAC Member on site in one (1) International Competition

-have completed, during the forty-eight (48) months preceding July 31st of the calendar year of the nomination, an ISU Seminar for first appointment or re- appointment of ISU Judges. An ISU Seminar for re-appointment of ISU Judges may also be a webinar organized and controlled by the respective Technical Committee(s).

Judges with International status (able to judge at GPs, Junior GPs and other international events) to be re-appointed need to
- have served, during the thirty-six (36) months preceding July 31st of the calendar year of the nomination, as a Referee, Judge, or Technical Controller in one (1) International Competition

-have completed, during the forty-eight (48) months preceding July 31st of the calendar year of the nomination, an ISU Seminar for first appointment or re- appointment of International Judges. An ISU Seminar for re-appointment of ISU Judges may also be a webinar organized and controlled by the respective Technical Committee(s).

The seminars usually last a couple of days. For example, the followings were the 2019 seminars