Kaitlyn Weaver comes out | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kaitlyn Weaver comes out

rain

Record Breaker
Good for Kaitlyn. I hadn't thought about it before, but there are very, very few women who have come out as queer in figure skating. There are actually many more men.

I can completely understand why she would have been afraid to acknowledge it even to herself while competing. She's not wrong that internationally there are countries (like Russia, with all its power and judges) where being queer is totally unacceptable and even illegal. She and Andrew already had plenty of detractors and people just waiting for any excuse to mark them down. Ice dance as a discipline is still very traditional in a lot of ways.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am happy that Kaitlyn seems happy and free finally. But I am sad that this is even an issue. No matter who you are, what you are - you are a person of value and hope. We have enough challenges in this world than to let "false barriers" things that should not detract get in the way of being the best who we are. So yay Kaitlyn, yay Jason and yay Paul (I don't think I saw a link for him but gosh he is the current world bronze medallist in ice dance with Piper. I always felt her and Andrew were underrated. THey kind of were unlucky not to have a team medal at the olympics, missing the first olympics for them by inches and then kind of being clustered and getting the bottom spot in two straight olympics. They cold have been as high as thrid in 2018 or 7th. And guess where then ended up. I always felt and still feel Kaitlyn and Andrew are a gorgeous team

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is so sad that in the 21st century, preference means anything.....so what? Its like the color of someone's skin or genetic backround. So what? A very great man once said that its the content of the Charactor that is important. The real bravery is seen in people like Adam Rippon that take on the haters...the people who were carefully taught to hate. There are entire cultures in the US and around the world that use institutional hate. Go ahead and be happy for Kaitlyn....now get to work and figure out what you would do I you saw someone beating up/bullying a person who happens to be Asian.....Great evil is done when good people do nothing.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is so sad that in the 21st century, preference means anything.....so what? Its like the color of someone's skin or genetic backround. So what? A very great man once said that its the content of the Charactor that is important. The real bravery is seen in people like Adam Rippon that take on the haters...the people who were carefully taught to hate. There are entire cultures in the US and around the world that use institutional hate. Go ahead and be happy for Kaitlyn....now get to work and figure out what you would do I you saw someone beating up/bullying a person who happens to be Asian.....Great evil is done when good people do nothing.

From what I can tell about the Friday "Pride Trio" 🌈 Kaitlyn and Jason, at least (and I am sure Paul as well, but he lives in Canada, whereas Kaitlyn lives in the US and Jason is American ) are doing great things to address all the issues that people of color encounter in this country.

Of course, each skater, just like each individual, needs to help where they can feel they are best needed and where their hearts lead them.❤️

If all Kaitlyn, Paul and Jason do is provide positive examples to young struggling skaters wondering if they can be their true selves, they have done a great deal to fight evil(y)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
From Kaitlyn's long Instagram post yesterday:
"Figure skating has a long way to go to grow into a fully inclusive sport, and I promise to do my part to help pave the way for other queer-identifying people."​

I have no doubt that Kaitlyn will continue to live up to her promise.
As merely one way, Kaitlyn already has been serving as a member of Skate Canada's Equity, Diversion and Inclusion Working Group -- since its inception in summer 2020.

When it comes to activism, Kaitlyn has proven herself to be a force of nature.
(Not that she needed to "prove" anything.)

Kaitlyn single-handedly came up with the idea for last year's Open Ice livestream, and followed through brilliantly.
She immersed herself into producing a two-hour live online benefit. (Without prior producing or hosting experience, AFAIK. Certainly not on that scale.)
With Jordan Cowan as Kaitlyn's producing partner, Open Ice ultimately raised over $60,000 for the U.N. COVID relief fund.
The live show that had been planned as more like a two-hour event in fact lasted well over three hours, IIRC -- overflowing with warmth, emotion, reflection, tears, laughter, love, and more.
(Secondary credit also to those whom Kaitlyn and Jordan recruited for the massive project: dozens and dozens of familiar faces from the worldwide skating community who were excited to connect/re-connect with each other and to connect with the online audience.)

In April 2021, Kaitlyn and Jordan announced the next project of "Open Ice Collective."
Open Ice II will premiere on July 3. (I think the point this time is to highlight the visions/causes of Elladj, Adam, Kiira, and Scott Hamilton.)

Go, Kaitlyn!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It is Ironic that Figure Skating of all sports still has issues with inclusion and accpetance...I have gay friends at skating events, friends with different genetic backrounds, friends who accept my beliefs and whose beliefs I accept, even though we may disagree, we respect each other. If WE have issues in this sport, think about the issues in other sports and in societies in general.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Sorry to go on a tangent, but is this the Netherlands you are referring to? What has happened to change things?
Yes, this is the Netherlands. I may have made it look worse than it is, but when I was studying no one felt afraid to hold hands in the streets, be they man/woman, man/man, woman/woman or otherwise. Nowadays I am sad to saythere have been people doing that who get beaten up. For good orde: I think being gay is still acceptable/not an issue for most people except on the so-called Bible Belt (but that was always the case) but the fear is back. And that is 'declining'. I don't think there is 'one thing' that caused it.