Kamila Valieva anti-doping rule violation: Timeline | Page 290 | Golden Skate

Kamila Valieva anti-doping rule violation: Timeline

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Imo, the focus of the discussion around doping should stay focused on avoiding the substances that are forbidden or substances that when combined may metabolite into a forbidden substance, rather than an esoteric musings about why one would be taking a supplement that is permitted. If one side stops blaming the other for thing they ain't doing wrong, and the other stops trying to justify things that they are doing wrong, it would be so much better.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I don't think she'd report something like this if it wasn't correct. Having a specific date and location makes me think there's truth to this.

She reported the gold medal allocation to the US team before it was announced by the ISU. She has sources that I think are reliable. If this was false, it would be a blow to her journalistic reputation.
She gave herself an easy way out with this tweet though - If it doesn't end up happening, she can say that it's not because the information is wrong, it's because the CAS verdict hasn't come in.

You can read about the Reallocation process yourself here. I am not sure the IOC wants to open itself up for more legal action by not following the procedures to a T, but maybe they'll just change the rules, wouldn't be the first organisation to do so, lol.
There's also a public list of medal reallocation ceremonies taking place as part of the Paris Olympics, and those will take place on the 9th of August.

Like, sure, I'd be happy for the skaters to get their medals now and at the Olympics, but I'm not sure that can happen.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well.. think of it this way : how disappointing would it be for the third place team to receive their medals in a random alley while the top two teams received theirs at Paris games.. I'd prefer that the ceremony happens when a final decision is made and that all athletes get their medals together.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
If true it will be nice but isn't August 7 the end of the Summer Olympics.
As some have stated shouldn't have they wait for the appeal from Canada decision came in or is everything decided?

Since it been a long time I am confused about it
I am happy for the athletes that get it medals (United States and Japan);

She mentioned gold and silver not bronze.

Not sure where she is pulling this information from, but per the IOC's own reallocation process, this should be impossible.

Not only do all legal remedies have to be exhausted before a medal reallocation is able to officially happen, medals can only be reallocated at the same type of Olympic games (i.e. Summer Olympic medals at Summer Olympics and Winter Olympic medals at Winter Olympics), if the reallocation ceremony at the next Olympic games is the option chosen by the affected athletes.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
She gave herself an easy way out with this tweet though - If it doesn't end up happening, she can say that it's not because the information is wrong, it's because the CAS verdict hasn't come in.

You can read about the Reallocation process yourself here. I am not sure the IOC wants to open itself up for more legal action by not following the procedures to a T, but maybe they'll just change the rules completely.
There's also a public list of medal reallocation ceremonies taking place as part of the Paris Olympics, and those will take place on the 9th of August.

Like, sure, I'd be happy for the skaters to get their medals now and at the Olympics, but I'm not sure that can happen.
I haven't had a chance to read the rules yet, but I trust what you're saying about them. Given how high profile the case is, I'd be surprised if they threw the rules out to have the ceremony. There's a good reason why the ISU and IOC aren't returning her emails asking for comment about a legal matter and she knows it.

But it is so weird to tweet out a specific date and location out of nothing and add in a way to back out of what she posted. It's being reposted by other figure skating sites now, and I noticed a reporter for Radio-Canada quoting it. USA Today Sports reposted it, so they're standing behind her news. I can't see her making it up completely as a journalist.

Either way, it's weird for me whether she's making it up or the rules aren't being followed exactly for giving out the medals.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Another thing puzzles me about date .
I wonder why either the IOC, US skating federation, ISU didn't post the date. Or even Japan Skating federation.. I wonder why came in a tweet from a reporter. She is nice knowledgable.
I am curious why not from an official source.

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Well.. think of it this way : how disappointing would it be for the third place team to receive their medals in a random alley while the top two teams received theirs at Paris games.. I'd prefer that the ceremony happens when a final decision is made and that all athletes get their medals together.
With rearranged medal ceremonies, there is no requirement for all countries involved to agree to the same arrangements. The third placed team is currently Russia. It might suit Putin's narrative better to have a separate medal ceremony. Just think how much propaganda he could generate from a medal ceremony at somewhere like the Kremlin - he could do the 'mean West is excluding us' and 'look how great Russia is' narratives at the same time with that arrangement. A ceremony at the Olympics would not fit the first of those so easily.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
With rearranged medal ceremonies, there is no requirement for all countries involved to agree to the same arrangements. The third placed team is currently Russia. It might suit Putin's narrative better to have a separate medal ceremony. Just think how much propaganda he could generate from a medal ceremony at somewhere like the Kremlin - he could do the 'mean West is excluding us' and 'look how great Russia is' narratives at the same time with that arrangement. A ceremony at the Olympics would not fit the first of those so easily.
Sure but when we only think about the athletes , no matter who it ends up being, I think it would be nicer to have a full podium... Even for USA and Japan... Do they need to be reminded that there is still conflict about the third spot? This ceremony is already so not normal, let's not make it worse with a partial one

Ziotic

Medalist
Sure but when we only think about the athletes , no matter who it ends up being, I think it would be nicer to have a full podium... Even for USA and Japan... Do they need to be reminded that there is still conflict about the third spot? This ceremony is already so not normal, let's not make it worse with a partial one
It’s not just the third spot, Russia appealed still wanting gold.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting. They have decisions on appeals way faster at CAS than in "regular" courts, at least in the US, if a June hearing leads to a dismissal by August.

Good for them if they move that fast!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Interesting. They have decisions on appeals way faster at CAS than in "regular" courts, at least in the US, if a June hearing leads to a dismissal by August.

Good for them if they move that fast!
it could take a while to make a final decision ;) At least, with ROC's appeals going first, then it will be up to Canadian lawyers to make their case after the ruling of those ROC appeals is done... The opposite wouldn't make sense ;)

But still, two months seems like a short time to confirm the podium and a partial ceremony doesn't make me happy.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
it could take a while to make a final decision ;) At least, with ROC's appeals going first, then it will be up to Canadian lawyers to make their case after the ruling of those ROC appeals is done... The opposite wouldn't make sense ;)

But still, two months seems like a short time to confirm the podium and a partial ceremony doesn't make me happy.
I'd like the optimism of whoever is planning a medal ceremony in less than two months on the hope that the Russian appeals are dismissed in that time 🫠

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I'd like the optimism of whoever is planning a medal ceremony in less than two months on the hope that the Russian appeals are dismissed in that time 🫠
The revised medal ceremony for pairs in 2002 was planned in hours, but of course the four skaters were already there. For this to happen, they'd have to allow time to gather all the involved skaters from various parts of the world, with proper travel papers, etc etc etc :unsure:.

Amei

Record Breaker
They were being heard during Congress. I'm wondering if the date being confirmed means that the decision for them went in favour of the ISU. If they won it, then there would be no need to hear the Canadian appeal.

ROC is appealing for gold, so they can "lose" the appeal and still be awarded bronze as was the original decision after Valieva's ban, Canada is appealing that points should have been redistributed that would have them in bronze and ROC in fourth.

So I don't think the Canadian case continuing is indicative of ROC winning or losing.