Karen Chen: 'I'm on the right path' | Golden Skate

Karen Chen: 'I'm on the right path'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA's Karen Chen reflects back on the Olympic season, her injury which kept her out of the 2018-19 season, her thoughts on returning this year, her performances at Autumn Classic, new programs, balancing training and school, and more!

https://youtu.be/-LgUKhqK-ow

What are your thoughts on her new programs? Did she do better or worse than you expected after her injury and taking last season off?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Karen had a tough skate, but she was never the most consistent skater to begin with. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see her put it together in time for Nationals, which she has done several times in the past. Her lutz looked strong and the other jumps will get there eventually.

It is an interesting phenomenon how these elite skaters can pursue their athletic training and keep up with challenging academics at the same time. They must be super-stars at time management and self discipline.

Most of us, the more free time we have, the more we goof off and the less we get done.

readernick

Medalist
Karen is a lovely skater. She is still suffering from UR problems. It is great that she can pursue both academic and athletic goals. However, even if she doesn't get called on her UR domestically. (the US fed likes her) She always gets called internationally. She needs to really focus on cleaning up her rotations or her scores will be low.

Ded Moroz

LADIES QUAD CLUB
On the Ice
Country
United-Nations
Olympic year programs:

"I felt like I should have just trusted my gut better and just went for whatever I wanted to do, and just committed 100%."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So very impressed by Karen and her commitment to education and competing, both at the highest levels. And that she loves it at school (even if it is only two weeks ;) )

Also very touched by how maturely she acknowledges the pressure she puts on herself. Whatever the ups and downs of competition are for these young athletes, it’s not for lack of trying or for concentration that that they might not meet the goals they set for themselves.

thanks to Ted Flett for all these great interviews from ACI:clap:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
It is an interesting phenomenon how these elite skaters can pursue their athletic training and keep up with challenging academics at the same time. They must be super-stars at time management and self discipline.

Most of us, the more free time we have, the more we goof off and the less we get done.

"If you want something done.... Ask a busy person" ;)

noskates

Record Breaker
Karen is one of those skaters that makes me nervous to watch...much like Jeremy Abbott was. You just never know "who" is going to show up at any competition. I think I'll reserve judgement on her programs until we're a little more into the season. But I agree - I don't know how these elite skaters keep up with their academics and their skating. Pretty impressive.