Women and the Quad | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
What is the point in making video of jumps comparison where you can't even see boots of a skater, I wonder? :rolleye:

yeah. I wish fans would use another video of Sasha's to compare.. But this is what we have so far..

medoroa

On the Ice
And I honestly don’t think it’s about „pushing yourself“, just seems like not a very wise strategy from people who struggle with consistency and URs even on triples. Just my opinion.

I agree with you, I think declaring you're going to land a 3A or quad is politiking. Whatever fans might think about it, there has been a close relationship between "can land multiple quads more or less consistently" and PCS for the last... 6, 7 years? Since around the time Chan began having a harder time winning against younger skaters based on PCS. Especially the relative SS scores make little sense if we don't take quads into consideration, same with ladies PCS and 3-3. It seems to be the way ISU wants to go and they're encouraging it with points. Coaches wouldn't be oblivious to that, which is the only reason I can see someone like Miyahara declaring she wants to do a 3A... even if she never will, the judges will hear her words, so. (Not a criticism of specific skaters, I think it's a perfectly normal and valid strategy and it might even work until this Olympic cycle is done. Only after which I think the ISU will decide whether to raise the age for senior eligibility or allow quads in the ladies SP, depending on how many older female skaters actually do end up landing 3A and quads. But all of that is speculation.)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
No, it was the third. Here is yet another quad from warmup you probably missed https://ok.ru/video/1595552303791?fromTime=319
All in all Kamila jumped three quads then - and all of them were landed. She is pretty consistent with her 4T.

Good height and trajectory too, there is nothing childish about these quads.

A quite long run in still, but that will change once she gets even more confident and consistent in take off and landing.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Kamila's quad looks very stable. I think we saw 3 quads in total (together with those from the warm up) unless I missed some, and all 3 were rotated, no falls, only one hand on the ice which is not that big of a deal.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
No, it was the third. Here is yet another quad from warmup you probably missed https://ok.ru/video/1595552303791?fromTime=319
All in all Kamila jumped three quads then - and all of them were landed. She is pretty consistent with her 4T.

Oh. She landed 3 out of 3. Not too shabby. Impressive. Now let's continue to keep Kamila far away from Aberbubu, TAT and those sheninigans. =) As far away as possible.

Elucidus

Match Penalty

katymay

Medalist
yeah. I wish fans would use another video of Sasha's to compare.. But this is what we have so far..

As much as I love Sasha, and I do-Kamila's is the best I've ever seen. It is so effortless. She seems to float. Sasha powers her jumps more. Kamila's 4T-I think it is the best I've ever seen, male or female.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
As much as I love Sasha, and I do-Kamila's is the best I've ever seen. It is so effortless. She seems to float. Sasha powers her jumps more. Kamila's 4T-I think it is the best I've ever seen, male or female.

I swear it looks like Kamila has a delayed ratation on her quad! :reye:

Good height and trajectory too, there is nothing childish about these quads.

That is an interesting comment. It might turn out that these quads are quite "childish" indeed -- that is, maybe only children can do a quad quite so effortlessly.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is an interesting comment. It might turn out that these quads are quite "childish" indeed -- that is, maybe only children can do a quad quite so effortlessly.

Or these kids might just be leading us into a new place. We won’t know until it all plays out but I’m hopeful that a good amount of young quadster kiddos can continue to send it into their early 20’s and retire like the rest do. Even if they have to reduce quads as they grow it’s still pretty cool. TBH I think surviving a whole “Olympic quad” at senior level is a pretty good career. I’d be very proud of anyone who makes it that long. Quad or no quad....this sport isn’t kind on a body.

Good luck to everyone!!

Ps...I think ppl underestimate what female athletes are capable of but I think we’re seeing the level pushed in all sports right now. :popcorn: