Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Toth was seriously lacking speed.

From the Russian triksels of late (Kostornaya, Trusova, Akat'yeva, Samodelkina, Kisel', Zhilina), they all have one thing in common: speed.

Will Samodurova and Tuktamysheva jump triksels in the coming Russian Cup stage, we can compare their jumps too.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
The little kids make it look so easy, and they are having fun too.

Another triksel at speed, and with a nice curved entry, cutting into the jump over the toepick

Using the Embed Media button, you can embed the IG like this:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
if she maintains it, it will be with her for the whole of her career

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Good for her, it was declared fully rotated and got a +1 for execution.

Hope she keeps it, builds on it.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Yeah, so true...
SP rules practically cornered all ladies to learn it at all costs.

I don't know if that's absolutely necessary, last year Shcherbakova did beat Kostornaia at Russian Nationals without a triple axel. And at both the GPF and Europeans she beat Kostornaia for the FS segment with flaws in both programs, falls and under-rotations/downgrades on the quads, yes at Europeans Kostornaia also had a mistake in the FS but she had fewer errors than Shcherbakova. Last season Kostornaia was almost maxed out on her PCS marks whereas Shcherbakova had room to improve her second score.

katymay

Medalist
I don't know if that's absolutely necessary, last year Shcherbakova did beat Kostornaia at Russian Nationals without a triple axel. And at both the GPF and Europeans she beat Kostornaia for the FS segment with flaws in both programs, falls and under-rotations/downgrades on the quads, yes at Europeans Kostornaia also had a mistake in the FS but she had fewer errors than Shcherbakova. Last season Kostornaia was almost maxed out on her PCS marks whereas Shcherbakova had room to improve her second score.
I think the landscape has changed from last year. Perhaps not as important this year, but by next year, figure skating will be those who can do it and those who can not. Very few seniors will have quads, but a triple axel is really possible for a huge number of ladies, a consistent triple axel of course is another story. Maybe only Rika is close to consistent, but still even if it is only 50%, it is going to have to be attempted.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think the landscape has changed from last year. Perhaps not as important this year, but by next year, figure skating will be those who can do it and those who can not. Very few seniors will have quads, but a triple axel is really possible for a huge number of ladies, a consistent triple axel of course is another story. Maybe only Rika is close to consistent, but still even if it is only 50%, it is going to have to be attempted.

They should all be working towards it, but I don't know if it will necessarily be a requirement for winning. I feel like Kostornaia last year was the exception to a skater being consistent with a triple axel in competition, it generally takes the skaters some time to get those elements consistent in competition and this year it seems it will be very rare for a true competition atmosphere.

katymay

Medalist
They should all be working towards it, but I don't know if it will necessarily be a requirement for winning. I feel like Kostornaia last year was the exception to a skater being consistent with a triple axel in competition, it generally takes the skaters some time to get those elements consistent in competition and this year it seems it will be very rare for a true competition atmosphere.
It seems like there were so many Junior competitions in which Rika was expected to medal, and yet fell out of the top three after botching the 3A-even though she would land one after the other on warmup. She sacrificed an awful lot of medals in order to attempt it. Maybe that is why the 3A is exciting-the risk factor involved. In the SP-land it -you are at the top. Miss it and you are down around 5th.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
By next season or certainly by the time Olympics happen, there probably would be a number of skaters landing it consistently in the SP, unlike before. So it might not be as big of an issue in 18-20, as it will be going forward.
Even with consistent quads, starting at a huge deficit before FS is undesirable, very hard to overcome.
So I feel like in order to win, one has to land it in the short, and also do 3A AND several quads in the free, plus have very good PCS mark and quality spins.