Legs refusing to listen?! | Golden Skate

Legs refusing to listen?!

vurul

Spectator
Hello everyone~!
I'm not sure if this question has been submitted here before or if I'm the only one experiencing this weird problem but here's my question:
It's been almost a month since I started taking lessons and practicing on my own. I even bought my own skates so I didn't have to keep using the rental ones. I seem to have found a weird issue while I'm practicing the basic steps. When I try to do the swerves(?) or the half circles, my left skate always seem to drag behind. It's like working with a leg that fell asleep? My coach says it's because my left side is generally weaker than my right, but my right side's balance needs work too.... How can I fix this?
Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone~!
I'm not sure if this question has been submitted here before or if I'm the only one experiencing this weird problem but here's my question:
It's been almost a month since I started taking lessons and practicing on my own. I even bought my own skates so I didn't have to keep using the rental ones. I seem to have found a weird issue while I'm practicing the basic steps. When I try to do the swerves(?) or the half circles, my left skate always seem to drag behind. It's like working with a leg that fell asleep? My coach says it's because my left side is generally weaker than my right, but my right side's balance needs work too.... How can I fix this?
Thank you!
Are you talking about doing swizzles? Also, just keep listening to your coach and working on things with your left side.

Is the leg actually falling asleep or something like that? If so you need to seek the advisory of a Doctor.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Everyone has a "weaker" side, although it's often actually a direction of rotation that they dislike. As Ic3Rabbit says, keep working with your coach and make sure to practice everything both way.

leia1979

Rinkside
Your left side might be less coordinated and have less strength. Think about how you can probably only write well with one hand and not the other. If you decided one day you wanted to write with your non-dominant hand, it would take a lot of practice to increase the coordination in that hand. Keep practicing, and you'll build the strength, balance, and coordination in your legs. Skating is asking you to use muscles in new ways.

spinningdancer

Rinkside
I'd see this happen fairly often with kids when I taught group classes. I just told them to make sure they were moving both feet equally, which sometimes requires constantly thinking about it at first to make sure it's happening. For swizzles, make sure everything is equal. Your arms should be spaced equally, if one arm is farther in front, that can throw things off. Your knees should be equally bent, and when you start the swizzle, make sure your feet are making a nice symmetrical "V" shape. You can also ask your coach for exercises that may help with strength and coordination on your weaker side.