Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Is there an historical or cultural reason about why there is so much transparency and illusion mesh on ladies' costumes? Especially that basically mandatory open back.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:love2:As for me, the unbeatable queen of costumes is Zhenya Medvedeva. Apart from a few unlucky choices at her very first outings with Brian, anything she wore under Eteri or later with Orser was just stunning, Actually I suspect it is just the case of her being stunning in whatever she wears. ;) But, yes, I adore each and every one of them.
(y) I totally agree. Plus her exhibition costumes are great.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
over the boot tights are kind of an outdated trend, they usually give the appearance of longer legs.
I find this reasoning truly bizarre. I mean I can see how this would be the case in ballet or gymnastics, but because of the skates it just looks like the skater has horses hooves for feet! I dunno it just looks super ungainly to my eye.

In other news, how fab was Sasha T's jumpsuit at the Gala? I kinda want to see her skate to hard rock now :rock:

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker
(y) I totally agree. Plus her exhibition costumes are great.
Yes, they are indeed. Talking about her exhibition costumes, the most remarkable one to me (I would not call it the most beautiful) is "I don't wanna be you any more". I mean, it is so much on point, so expressive and yet so simple and plain, so original, unlike anything else you see around, just opposite to TRYING to look good and yet she looks soooo good (and skates soooo great) in it and her hair for that ex ... oh, it is just amazing to me. I really love it.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, they are indeed. Talking about her exhibition costumes, the most remarkable one to me (I would not call it the most beautiful) is "I don't wanna be you any more". I mean, it is so much on point, so expressive and yet so simple and plain, so original, unlike anything else you see around, just opposite to TRYING to look good and yet she looks soooo good (and skates soooo great) in it and her hair for that ex ... oh, it is just amazing to me. I really love it.
I know. And quite a few posters have that skate as their Avatar.

Magill

Record Breaker
I find this reasoning truly bizarre. I mean I can see how this would be the case in ballet of gymnastics, but because of the skates it just looks like the skater has horses hooves for feet! I dunno it just looks super ungainly to my eye.

In other news, how fab was Sasha T's jumpsuit at the Gala? I kinda want to see her skate to hard rock now :rock:
I don't know if that's true but I have always thought the tights over the boots are to additionally secure the boots from failing the skater during the performance.
As for Sasha, yes, you're right, she looks great in her little black jumpsuit.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Is there an historical or cultural reason about why there is so much transparency and illusion mesh on ladies' costumes? Especially that basically mandatory open back.
probably just wanting to show skin. personally i hate open backs when ladies try to hide their bras with a clear strap. just looks stupid.
I find this reasoning truly bizarre. I mean I can see how this would be the case in ballet of gymnastics, but because of the skates it just looks like the skater has horses hooves for feet! I dunno it just looks super ungainly to my eye.
that's exactly what i think. especially on girls with super skinny legs it just looks jarring.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't know if that's true but I have always thought the tights over the boots are to additionally secure the boots from failing the skater during the performance.
As for Sasha, yes, you're right, she looks great in her little black jumpsuit.
Definitely not. The only thing that does that well in my experience is skate tape (and still doesn't do it that great). One time coming out of an axel I sliced my lace with my foot and the tape kept my skate on enough to not injure myself thankfully but not enough to skate without relacing. It also holds the knot in place fairly well. Tights can help keep one from tripping over laces, though.

Magill

Record Breaker
Definitely not. The only thing that does that well in my experience is skate tape (and still doesn't do it that great). One time coming out of an axel I sliced my lace with my foot and the tape kept my skate on enough to not injure myself thankfully but not enough to skate without relacing. It also holds the knot in place fairly well. Tights can help keep one from tripping over laces, though.
Oh, well, stripped of yet another illusion :( But thank you for the information.:)

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Eva-Lotta Kiibus dress joins my collection of electric/Royal blue to die for... I can’t find a picture, but it has it all. The color, the cutouts and the color.
cdbd85fb95b4fb6a00-91740673.jpg
A link to screenshots I took of the dress at more angles: https://imgur.com/a/hNALPRh
Video of her performance at the Rostelecom Cup in this dress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPdLbafU4YA

She seems to have a thing for a lot of mesh:
eva-lotta-kiibus-88385011.jpg
eva-lotta-kiibus-85419885.jpg
769600h4691t28.jpg

And bonus for a green dress :)
eva-lotta-kiibus-of-estonia-competes-in-the-junior-ladies-short-the-picture-id1027843786
eva-lotta-kiibus-85653585.jpg
Eva-Lotta_Kiibus_at_the_World_Championships_2019.jpg

And here's some instagram where she has photos of the blue dress and more: https://www.instagram.com/lottaskating/

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Everyone is talking about Tuktamysheva's skate, but not the dress. I'm sure you've seen photos everywhere, but just in case anyone hasn't:
Elizaveta-Tuktamysheva.jpg
633446_big_b44e8b5b04.jpg
v8hi7zgbhrvanl2uomqr

I feel like it's the perfect level of sparkle without looking like the Swarovski fairy vomited on the dress. It's just an overall aesthetically pleasing dress that is really flattering. The mesh on the sleeves adds a nice touch; without it, the dress would be a bit boring and unbalanced in my opinion.

Chiffon

Spectator
Country
Ireland
Sorry for a long post as my first post, but I have some thoughts on the whole 'Green figure skating costumes are bad luck' thing!

In Western culture, green was historically considered unlucky. You come across this in the folklore of many different countries.
There seem to be a few factors which may have influenced this:
  1. Before the advent of modern chemical dyes and pigments, it was very difficult to produce a consistent, highly saturated green colour
  2. It is not a primary colour and there was a taboo against mixing pigments in the middle ages due to the association with alchemy
  3. Green is the colour of nature, therefore linked to fertility, which in turn links it to pagan rites, women, and sex (all things the medieval church hated!)
  4. The 12th century crusades invoked anti-Islamic sentiment, and the colour green was sacred to Muslims
  5. Later, in the 19th century green became popular but unfortunately green dyes often contained arsenic, causing sickness and even death...

There is an old Theatre superstition that actors shouldn't wear green costumes as it's unlucky.
This is commonly attributed to a 17th century actor named Moliere, who collapsed onstage in a green costume and died shortly after.
It probably has more to do with a) pre-existing European superstitions and b) the fact that early spotlights burned quicklime (hence the phrase 'in the limelight'). The limelight produced a greenish glow that washed out anyone wearing green clothes and made it difficult for the audience to see them. So, not great for theatre or dance costumes.

I actually didn't know green was considered unlucky in figure skating, but if you think about it, it does make sense.
Skating is a sport, but it overlaps with and is influenced by the performing arts, so little wonder some of the theatre/dance superstitions get passed along.It's really interesting to me that these superstitions are able to stand the test of time, and fascinating figuring out how they might have got started!

Personally, I don't believe green is unlucky and I love green skating costumes. Emerald, teal and bright Kelly green all look amazing on the ice.
No strong feelings on yellow, it's fine. My least favourite colours for skating costumes are actually pale pastels and white. They make for really beautiful costumes in and of themselves, but sometimes I feel the skater is a little lost against the white backdrop of all that ice...