Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes!

Amei

Record Breaker
How does everyone feel about Trusova's dresses this year? I personally preferred her original dresses to the ones she has replaced them with, so I'm curious.

I think all 4 of them are ugly, the old SP dress reminded me of the criticism that many people had of several Polina Edmunds dresses - something you'd expect to see at a your local rinks spring pageant, the new SP dress I like the color but I'm not a fan of the weird side/back cuts. And actually that criticism extends to why I don't care for either 1 of the FS costumes, I don't like the fabric break-up between the trunk to the shoulders.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How does everyone feel about Trusova's dresses this year? I personally preferred her original dresses to the ones she has replaced them with, so I'm curious.
I loved the green one so much! It was different and she looked just like the fairy emoji 🧚‍♂️ The pink one is still nice, but as a lover of green I'm bummed that one is gone.

I do like the new Romeo and Juliet costume (although the spikes don't work) but the use of colour in it is really striking!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I loved the green one so much! It was different and she looked just like the fairy emoji 🧚‍♂️ The pink one is still nice, but as a lover of green I'm bummed that one is gone.

I do like the new Romeo and Juliet costume (although the spikes don't work) but the use of colour in it is really striking!
I am a sucker for red so I preferred the first one, but the new one is beautiful too. I loved the green too. I don't think the shade of pink is flattering on her and it looks like they took some scraps of fabric and tied it all together in an unintentional way.

Dawn825

Medalist
Speaking of red, I :love2: Bradie Tennell's short program costume from the 2019/2020 season!
I might be in the minority but I HATED that costume :ROFLMAO: and the program.

The new R&J costume for Trusova is much better, I love the back and the other one fit so poorly. The old short program dress was ok, I think it was beautiful and detailed close up but just looked like a lot of green from far away and while she was moving. The new dress has beautiful colors, I could do without the cut out on the side, it would be more elegant. Similar to Anna's costumes, it has one idea too many (Anna's gloves in the short and sleeves in the free.)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist

The new R&J costume for Trusova is much better, I love the back and the other one fit so poorly. The old short program dress was ok, I think it was beautiful and detailed close up but just looked like a lot of green from far away and while she was moving. The new dress has beautiful colors, I could do without the cut out on the side, it would be more elegant. Similar to Anna's costumes, it has one idea too many (Anna's gloves in the short and sleeves in the free.)
I didn't hate the program, but I very much disliked that red costume! It looked so, i don't know, so thrown together, so.... cheap. And don't get me wrong, I don't care if a skater wears a simple, low-cost costume; the point I'm trying to make is that many simple costumes look elegant, but bradie's red one here..... completely missed the mark. It looked like a significant amount of $$$ was spent on the dress but it still looked cheap, if that makes sense?

esteticlove

Final Flight
Most of the times I have had mixed feelings about Sasha's dresses over the years. I have the impression that so far she has tried out a lot more dress variations in comparison to most skaters. I liked the green version of her current SP dress more, she indeed looked like Tinkerbell but I found the color to be suitting well her blond hair and skin complexion. Also, it was very detailed and beautifully done. I have though a general problem with the tank top dresses for skating, they are just not my cup of tea. I think that they require at least a longer skirt part, otherwise it feels like the skater is performing in a swimming suit. Also, the pink variant from RussNats felt like it needed white boots, otherwise it gets too busy with the mixed colours and the overexposure of skin (full arms, legs + feet and back). However, I find this a typical skating problem - there are a lot of ladies dresses, including those two of Sasha, that look very nice and are done with good attention to the detail, but once they are in action, they just don't work. As for her FP dress - I actually loved it the first time I saw it. But again, while in action, the disconnected part between the bodice and the sleeves bothered me a little bit. Still, the red ombre onto black base is really cool.

Generally, I've come to my own conclusion that Sasha looks best in full body suits - especially the one from her recent gala is a killer! I even think that she performs better when wearing such kind of costumes, instead of floating dresses.

Dawn825

Medalist
I like Sasha in jumpsuits too, with programs that match that energy. I totally get why they tried different things this year, but I hope next season do programs that are more suited to who she is, not to who she might want to be. (Just my impression, I don't know her.) But I can't stand the jumpsuits with the skirt/loincloth over them, like her kill bill costume. Or the dresses with the matching colored tights/leggings under them to give the same illusion, like her game of thrones costume. I saw similar costumes in the Russian novice competition, and they drove me crazy. Jumpsuit or dress - gotta pick one, no mashups please 😨

Amei

Record Breaker

Tennell is generally always a costume miss for me.

Are you sure your issue with Shcherbakova's FS dress isn't the gloves as well? This is the dress sans the gloves:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKBloPRJR5u/

Dawn825

Medalist
Are you sure your issue with Shcherbakova's FS dress isn't the gloves as well? This is the dress sans the gloves:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKBloPRJR5u/
When is that from? I do think it's better without the gloves. I certainly wouldn't take off the sleeves and leave the gloves :ROFLMAO: But no, I think the pink sleeves don't match the rest of the dress and it would be nicer with the one shoulder strap and nothing else on her arms.

Amei

Record Breaker
When is that from? I do think it's better without the gloves. I certainly wouldn't take off the sleeves and leave the gloves :ROFLMAO: But no, I think the pink sleeves don't match the rest of the dress and it would be nicer with the one shoulder strap and nothing else on her arms.

That was from the awards ceremony at Nationals.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Lindsay Van Dundee was very well dressed for Worlds, especially in the free skate!

Alexia Paganini's take on the little black dress was exceptional!

Unfortunately I'm still not a fan of bradie's ombre grey and white dress, the colors don't suit her, imo.

Curious as to what people think of Ryabova's dresses??

lappo

Final Flight
The one I liked the most is Yelim Kim FS dress, the neck shape is particularly awesome. I also like Anna S. SP blue dress, shame about her FP dress which is particularly uninspired.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
One of my favourite costumes is a green one: Charlène Guignard's green dress from her and Marco's 2018-19 'La La Land' free dance was absolutely gorgeous and looked wonderful on the ice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLIemq2Cb_8
Charlène is clearly a fan of green, as her beautiful free dance dress for this season is also greeny-blue, based on the lovely green dress from the Atonement film. I really like the decoration on the waist too. Photos here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CM__VkpJKGF/

RobinA

On the Ice
I find this reasoning truly bizarre. I mean I can see how this would be the case in ballet or gymnastics, but because of the skates it just looks like the skater has horses hooves for feet! I dunno it just looks super ungainly to my eye.

In other news, how fab was Sasha T's jumpsuit at the Gala? I kinda want to see her skate to hard rock now :rock:
To me the tights over boots makes the skater look like she has club feet. Add the over boot tights to the fact that no one points their toes anymore and you get one of the very small reasons among about a million others that I'm just not as exited about skating as I have been in the past.

RobinA

On the Ice
It's probably just me but I somehow find particular trends in recent years, i.e., seaweed-like meshes, asymmetric sleeve cuts and heavily swarovskied costumes quite jarring. I can tell from those "extra touches" the designer's effort to make a costume stand out but usually it turns out visually distractive and awkwardly overdone. 😅
I'd like to see more costumes like those of Sasha Cohen. Her dresses never went wrong.

It's not just you. I have always hated asymmetric sleeves on any piece of clothing. Add anything that looks like it lost a battle with the claw of a bear. Thankfully this last trend is less common than it used to be, although Russians seem to still like it.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
So that one year when Stanislava had a really plain costume, I kinda criticized it, but now knowing that she was off the main team and had to pay for costumes herself, and she was struggling a bit with the insane price of the sport, I owe her an apology.