Mari Vartmann & Ruben Blommaert | Golden Skate

Mari Vartmann & Ruben Blommaert

tulosai

Record Breaker
Mari-Doris Vartmann (also: Mari Vartmann) and Ruben Blommaert are pair skaters who represented Germany.

Vartmann was born on 25 December 1998 in Neuss, Germany.

Blommaert was born on 5 March 1992 in Bruges, Belgium.

With previous partner, Aaron Van Cleave, Mari is the 2015 German national champion, the 2011 NRW Trophy champion, and 2010 Warsaw Cup champion. In her early career, she also skated with Florian Just. As regards Ruben, he has also Belgian citizenship and competed for Belgium in single skating until 2010. He began representing Germany after teaming up with Annabelle Prölß (Proelss) to compete in pairs. They won the 2013 Cup of Nice and 2013 German national title (for more information about this partnership see this thread: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51296).

Mari and Ruben teamed up in the 2015/2016 season. They won the 2015 Cup of Nice, placed 2nd at the German Nationals and represented Germany during the 2016 Europeans where they finished 8th. They started the 2016/2017 season on the Challenger Series, winning bronze at both Nebelhorn Trophy and Finlandia Trophy. They won National Championships, but surprisingly in January 2017, shortly before the 2017 Europeans, German Figure Skating Association (Deutsche Eislauf-Union) announced the split of the pair.

On 9 February 2017 partnership of Blommaert with Annika Hocke was announced (for more information see the following thread: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?76283-Annika-Hocke-amp-Ruben-Blommaert)

On 22 February 2017, German media announced that Vartmann would compete with Matti Landgraf. The pair would be coached by Daniel Wende.

In the first part of the 2014/2015 season Mari and Ruben were coached Knut Schubert and Stefan Lindemann in Berlin. However, in December 2014, they joined Maylin Wende and Daniel Wende in Oberstdorf.

ISU Bio
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00035016.htm

Wikipedia
Mari - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Vartmann
Ruben - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruben_Blommaert

Social Media
Mari's Instagram - https://instagram.com/marivartmann/
Ruben's Instagram - https://instagram.com/rubenblommaert/
Pair's Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Mari-Vartmann-Ruben-Blommaert-902273206482285/timeline/

Last updated on 20 November 2018 by Mohacz

Personal Best Total Score177.04ISU CS Tallinn Trophy 2015
Personal Best Score Short Program63.45ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2015
Personal Best Score Free Skating115.78ISU CS Tallinn Trophy 2015

Programs and Videos
2016/2017
SP: "They Don't Care About Us" by Michael Jackson
FS: "The Second Law: Unsustainable" by Muse / "Explorers" by Muse / "Follow Me" by Muse
Ex: "I Put a Spell On You" by Nina Simone

2017 European Championships
SP: WD
FS: WD​
2016/17 German Nationals
2016 GP NHK Trophy
2016 GP Audi Cup of China
2016 Finlandia Trophy
2016 CS Nebelhorn Trophy

2015/2016
SP: "Stranger in Paradise" performed by Sarah Brightman; choreo by Mark Pillay
FS: "Somewhere" (from "West Side Story") by Leonard Bernstein; choreo by Mark Pillay
Ex: "I Put a Spell On You"

2016 European Championships
2015 CS Tallin Trophy
2015 GP Cup of China
2015 Coup de Nice
2015 CS Nebelhorn Trophy

Competitive History

Competition
SP​
FS​
Final​
Season 2016/2017
2017 European Championships
WD​
WD​
WD
2016/17 German Championships
1 (61.22)​
1 (119.68)​
1 (180.90)
2016 GP NHK Trophy
4 (61.23)​
6 (109.47)​
5 (170.70)
2016 GP Audi Cup of China
7 (60.88)​
5 (113.00)​
7 (173.88)
2016 CS Finlandia Trophy
3 (56.58)​
3 (108.33)​
3 (164.91)
2016 CS Nebelhorn Trophy
3 (57.74)​
3 (104.64)​
3 (162.38)
Season 2015-2016
2016 European Championships
4​
8​
8 (171.30)
2016 German Championships
2​
2​
2 (179.10)
2015 Tallinn Trophy
2​
2​
2 (177.04)
2015 Cup of China
5​
7​
6 (171.41)
2015 Ice Challenge of Graz
3​
2​
2 (155.62)
2015 Cup of Nice
1​
1​
1 (165.40)
2015 Nebelhorn Trophy
2​
4​
4 (166.50)

Previous Partnerships
Mari with Aaron Van Cleave
ISU Bio
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012936.htm

Programs and Videos
2014/2015
SP: "Waltz from Petersburg Secrets" (Петербургские тайны) by Andrey Petrov
FS: "Concierto de Aranjuez" by Joaquín Rodrigo

2013/2014
SP: "Where the light gets in" by Sennen
FS: "Notre-Dame de Paris" by Riccardo Cocciante

2013 Nebelhorn Trophy

2012/2013
SP: "The Messiah Will Come Again" by Gary Moore
FS: "The Passion of the Christ" by John Debney / "Blood and Glory" by Audiomachine

2011/2012
SP: "Sarabande" (modern arrangement) by George Frideric Handel
FS: "The Island" by Steve Jablonsky / "Epicon" by Globus
Ex: "Le temps des cathédrales" (from "Notre-Dame de Paris") by Riccardo Cocciante

16 February 2015 GS thread - German Pair Vartmann/Van Cleave to Split After Worlds

Mari with Florian Just
ISU Bio
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00008391.htm

Programs
2007/2008
SP: "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd
FS: "Memoirs of a Geisha" by John Williams

2006/2007
SP: "Nyah" (from "Mission: Impossible II") by Hans Zimmer
FS: "The Promise" by Klaus Badelt

2005/2006
SP: "Libertango" by Astor Piazzolla performed by Bond
FS: "Once Upon a Time in America" by Ennio Morricone
Ex: "You're the One That I Want" grom "Grease"

Videos
2009 NRW Trophy
2007 European Championships

Ruben with Annabelle Prölß
GS Fan Fest
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51296-Annabelle-Pr%F6l%DF-amp-Ruben-Blommaert

ISU Bio
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013958.htm

Videos
2013 Nebelhorn Trophy

Ruben's Singles Career for Belgium
ISU Bio
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00009409.htm

Videos
2008 European Championships

GS Articles and Threads
10 January 2017 - Vartmann & Blommaert Split
September 2015 - Germany's Vartmann and Blommaert Hope For Strong Start

Last edited by a moderator:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really liked their short program here. I wasn't a fan of previous partnerships for whatever reason, but I like this one!

ETA: I just looked up Ruben's former partnership and now I remember them from last year. I liked them just fine--but I definitely like this partnership better.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Really liked their short program here. I wasn't a fan of previous partnerships for whatever reason, but I like this one!

ETA: I just looked up Ruben's former partnership and now I remember them from last year. I liked them just fine--but I definitely like this partnership better.

I am kind of the same- I never really liked either that much, but never really had anything against them either, but honestly thought they were pretty mediocre skaters, and then was VERY pleasantly surprised today!

I am excited to see what they can do in the LP :cheer:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me too! As much as I'd like them to keep the silver, I'm kind of thinking it won't happen... Granted, I haven't been a FS fan very long, but I have been noticing a pattern of teams doing great in the short and then falling apart in the free, especially new teams. Hopefully it won't happen to them.

Layback11

Record Breaker
LOVED their SP today! Incredibly impressed that they're such a new team...I will definitely keep watching them! :cheer:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well, they finished a respectable fourth :cheer: I think their West Side Story program actually has a lot of potential if skated cleanly. I am still really looking forward to seeing these two progress this season!

Alex D

Record Breaker
GS logged me out, I had a translation for you and all was lost upon posting it *grrr*

Anyways, here we go again ;) The quote after Nebelhorn

Source

Hi everyone,

our first competition is over and we did what we wanted to do, starting with a great performance, and this we did in our SP. Unfortunately a few errors crawled into our FP, but we are still happy with the result.

For the both of us, this was a huge step forwards and after all, we left a few points on the ice, so ... With these thoughts we will go back to practice on Tuesday and try to fix what went wrong.
Thanks a lot for the great support, the crowd was fantastic and if you have any comments about our programs, let us know please.

We also want to thank our coaching team, Maylin and Daniel Wende, but also Danielle Montalbano who tortured us every day so that we could get back into shape. You did a great job and without you guys, all of this wouldn't be possible. Thanks also to the German, Bavarian and NRW Skating Federations and the Düsseldorfer "Eiskunstlauf-Gemeinschaft" - it makes us very happy to be supported as a new pair.

Thanks to our families and friends who support us every day and of course all the fans out there, especially from the "Paarlauf Fanclub".
It was a great competition and we are looking forward to our next.

Until then,

Mari and Ruben

Ill keep an eye open if they post about Nice ;)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GS logged me out, I had a translation for you and all was lost upon posting it *grrr*

*Tip*

Not sure if you are aware but if you get logged out or leave a thread mid post...You can click "restore auto-saved data" once you return to the thread. It's in the bottom right of the text box in the grey area. Of course it's an auto save so I'm not sure how frequent the save is but I've found if I'm going to leave a thread but want to preserve a post I'll click "preview post" then leave...then when I return to that thread I can pick up where I left off.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Not sure if you are aware but if you get logged out or leave a thread mid post...You can click "restore auto-saved data" once you return to it. This comes in handy if you go to post and get logged out and end up somewhere else on the forum.

Noo! I didn't know that! ;)

So you are telling me, there are ways to not always type stuff twice if the first gets lose? ^^ *laughs*

Thanks for letting me know, I just tried it - wow this is amazing, thank you a million times! :D I lost content so often, especially when I post from my phone! Thanks!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Noo! I didn't know that! ;)

So you are telling me, there are ways to not always type stuff twice if the first gets lose? ^^ *laughs*

Thanks for letting me know, I just tried it - wow this is amazing, thank you a million times! :D I lost content so often, especially when I post from my phone! Thanks!

Before I figured it out I used to 'copy' everything before I would post then paste it back if I got logged out. Then one day while I was sending my boss a work related text I attempted to paste a financial plan but instead I accidentally pasted a Mao Asada video and me gushing about from a GS post and sent it. :laugh:

Fortunately for me I'm quite likable at work and my boss said it was a nice program and they agreed with my gushing but...how about that financial plan for the event.

Sorry for the :hijacked:

I owe this thread a nice post or two to make up for my rambling ;)

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Before I figured it out I used to 'copy' everything before I would post then paste it back if I got logged out. Then one day while I was sending my boss a work related text I attempted to paste a financial plan but instead I accidentally pasted a Mao Asada video and me gushing about from a GS post and sent it. :laugh:

Fortunately for me I'm quite likable at work and my boss said it was a nice program and they agreed with my gushing but...how about that financial plan for the event.

That is so funny!

And Alex D, as always a BIG thank you for the translation!!!!!!!

Alex D

Record Breaker

Haha funny!

here is what Mari and Ruben had to say after winning Nice.

Mission accomplished at Nice!

At our second competition, our first international win! Next event is going to be the Ice Challenge in Graz and one week later we are going to our first Grand Prix at Beijing.

Source

tulosai

Record Breaker
Congrats on an awesome SP at CoC, Mari and Ruben, as well as on your new PB SP score of 63.45. Excellent job!:dance2::dance::hap93:

Alex D

Record Breaker
CoC

Mari & Ruben received a new PB at the Cup of China, with 171.41 points and came 6th in total.

We are a bit disappointed about the result, as more was possible. In the end, however, we are happy with the result.

Ruben about their performance

After showing a clean program in the short, consisting of a triple toe side by side and throw - triple Sal, the free skate caused them a few problems, like when he only showed a double Salchow, instead of the intended triple side by side and she fell on the triple throw loop. Besides that, their "west side story" program, was clean and they showed a good fighting spirit especially after the struggles in the middle part.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to hear they are disappointed- I thought they did awesome overall and should be proud of their very strong effort! I am really looking forward to seeing these two grow as a team!