Medvedeva has a pinched nerve in the spine | Golden Skate

Medvedeva has a pinched nerve in the spine

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Snippet translated by google from the article.

"Medvedeva has a problem with the spine, she has a pinched nerve, so far she managed to do without surgery. Doctors are doing everything possible to fully restore the functions of the back," said one of the agency's interlocutors. "She does exercise therapy, swims in the pool, she undergoes physiotherapy, Doctors hope that all these measures will lead to a full recovery, if not, more serious non-surgical measures will be taken. "

Scott512

Record Breaker
A pinched nerve is one thing but because it's on the spine you can never do surgery there. The risks are too great. Hoping Evgenia is feeling better now and the pinched nerve somehow just goes away.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She should try acupuncture.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure it's been discussed. But if Zhenyas pinched nerve is supposedly on her spine so would that mean the acupuncture needles would have to go in right over her spine? I just don't know.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure it's been discussed. But if Zhenyas pinched nerve is supposedly on her spine so would that mean the acupuncture needles would have to go in right over her spine? I just don't know.
No .. acunpuncture doesn't go to the spine. They punch the external correspondent in the skin... but a few people can do it right.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This can't be good. I wish her well. We need mature skaters. I know despite concerns about puberty Russia still has a lot of competiition. Hopefully Evgenia can get healthy and continue developing technically and artistically. Come next year the three A's will be considered mature lol. Zagitova ancient and Evgenia at grandma status. I wonder is Leonova still skating? Evgenia has her hands full even without a pinched nerve. Let's hope she heals well.

Scott512

Record Breaker
No .. acunpuncture doesn't go to the spine. They punch the external correspondent in the skin... but a few people can do it right.
If a few people could do it right and that's a concern in itself right there. Hopefully the pinched nerve just goes away over time.

cl2

Final Flight
If a few people could do it right and that's a concern in itself right there. Hopefully the pinched nerve just goes away over time.
Pinched nerves could be due to many different causes. In some cases, the cause of the pinching will never "go away", for example severely herniated discs pressing on the nerve root. One just has to manage it properly to avoid inflammation and symptoms, and it is very individualized depending on the severity and nature of the cause of pinching.

As the saying goes, all healthy spines are alike; but each unhealthy spine is unhealthy in its own way.

Edit to add: Just want to clarify that I'm not in any way speculating that Evgenia's injury is. It's impossible to tell just from a "pinched nerve."

Scott512

Record Breaker
Pinched nerves could be due to many different causes. In some cases, the cause of the pinching will never "go away", for example severely herniated discs pressing on the nerve root. One just has to manage it properly to avoid inflammation and symptoms, and it is very individualized depending on the severity and nature of the cause of pinching.

As the saying goes, all healthy spines are alike; but each unhealthy spine is unhealthy in its own way.

Edit to add: Just want to clarify that I'm not in any way speculating that Evgenia's injury is. It's impossible to tell just from a "pinched nerve."
Agreed.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Yes. I injured my back in 2003 falling out of a Biellmann which resulted in herniated discs from L2-S1. I can barely walk some days 17 years later, and exercise of any kind is nearly impossible. Skating? Medvedeva is CRAZY to keep going. She still has a name, so she can earn something in shows once they open up again. She's going to destroy her life if she plays around with her back like this.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
Yes. I injured my back in 2003 falling out of a Biellmann which resulted in herniated discs from L2-S1. I can barely walk some days 17 years later, and exercise of any kind is nearly impossible. Skating? Medvedeva is CRAZY to keep going. She still has a name, so she can earn something in shows once they open up again. She's going to destroy her life if she plays around with her back like this.
Every back injury is different. Evgenia is working with a medical team and they allowed her to return to ice, step by step while doing physiotherapy. There are several skaters who were able to continue after having a back injury, because back injuries can have many causes and levels of severity and not every injury has to be career ending (Yuna skated another 7 years and won two Olympic medals after injuring her spinal discs). Zhenya clearly wants to compete and continue skating and if the doctors allow her that, let her.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I know that there are different causes/extents of back injuries. In fact, I stopped skating because I couldn't stretch like I used to and with zero skiing experience (minus two hilarious attempts at 8 and 10y/o where I couldn't even get off the bunny slope let alone get up it on the moving rope!) I started skiing blacks after only one day and diamonds after two days. It's not that she can't recover to have a good life in something else, it's that the sport requires more today on the lower back than ever before. The spins, and even jumps are just not conducive to preserving a failing back. No way she will ever learn an ultra-si after this, nor should she even try.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the big question is whether continuing skating makes her back situation worse. Even though she's working with good doctors, presumably she's been getting top notch medical care up to this point since she's a prominent athlete in her country, and the best in the world for two or three years. It seems unlikely that she could up her technical level, which requires more repetitions on the ice training new and existing elements, while also not causing further damage. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but it will be regretful if she is hampered by a bad back for the rest of her life from overtraining if she isn't able to achieve the goals she set out to accomplish post-2018.