Mia Caroline Risa Gomez | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mia Caroline Risa Gomez

Country
Norway
But she can't have three 3T in a program? If she jumps a 3T+3T combo, she can't have also a 3T+2A sequence?
I didn´t even think about it that would be three 3Ts..!! Good question, is there an exception if one of the triples is in combo? Or more likely, maybe her planned program content at JGP was never really her planned content and just a mix up with the SP content :scratch2:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I didn´t even think about it that would be three 3Ts..!! Good question, is there an exception if one of the triples is in combo? Or more likely, maybe her planned program content at JGP was never really her planned content and just a mix up with the SP content :scratch2:
The only exception I remember is that the combo in the Short Program can be 3T+3T. But I'm so ignorant and have such poor memory.

Country
Norway

Mia is having her last practice in 2022 in Sweden and skates together with Casper Johansson at his rink in Skövde.

I´m a bit curious why she is in Sweden now, but maybe she is just spending New Years Eve in Sweden.

Happy new year to all skating fans, i´m looking much forward to a new skating year here at GS!

It will be a busy start of the year for Mia, with Nationals in 2 weeks and Euros in 3 weeks. Can´t wait to see her skate more in 2023! :hap10: :hap10:

Country
Norway
Big congratulations to Mia who now is the National champion in senior women, achieving that in her first senior National Championship 🥳🥳 After two years as a silver medalist in junior category, I bet the title feels really good. She was smiling big when the scores came!

With a totalscore of 160.14 points she had some points down to the silver medalist Linnea Kilsand who made a good skate to challenge her, scoring 148.71.

Mia did not have the best SP yesterday, where she had a step out on her 3T-combo and had to add the combo on the 3F, barely making a 3F-2T. She scored 50.99 in the SP.

Today she again took a new PB in the FS with 109.15, which is also a new record for women in Norway. TES 57.42 and PCS 52.73. She had some minor stumbles on some of the combos today, but she was working very hard to get all the jumps done. She only had a fall after the 3F, but everything else was very good.

Well done, now on to Euros as the new Norwegian Champion :party2: :party2: :hap10: :hap10: :hap10:

Last edited:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Big congratulations to Mia who now is the National champion in senior women, achieving that in her first senior National Championship 🥳🥳 After two years as a silver medalist in junior category, I bet the title feels really good. She was smiling big when the scores came!

With a totalscore of 160.14 points she had some points down to the silver medalist Linnea Kilsand who made a good skate to challenge her, scoring 148.71.

Mia did not have the best SP yesterday, where she had a step out on her 3T-combo and had to add the combo on the 3F, barely making a 3F-2T. She scored 50.99 in the SP.

Today she again took a new PB in the FS with 109.15, which is also a new record for women in Norway. TES 57.42 and PCS 52.73. She had some minor stumbles on some of the combos today, but she was working very hard to get all the jumps done. She only had a fall after the 3F, but everything else was very good.

Well done, now on to Euros as the new Norwegian Champion :party2: :party2: :hap10: :hap10: :hap10:
Well, now we know that she's able to change the layout on the spot and that's a definitive plus. The total score difference in a Short Program between a 3T SO with 3F+2T; and a 3T SO +COMBO (invalidated) with a solo 3F, is really huge.

Country
Norway
Well, now we know that she's able to change the layout on the spot and that's a definitive plus. The total score difference in a Short Program between a 3T SO with 3F+2T; and a 3T SO +COMBO (invalidated) with a solo 3F, is really huge.
Indeed. That could be the difference of qualifying for the FS at Euros or not.

She has also changed her FS layout on the spot, which is much more difficult because you have to be careful to not repeat jumps. Another good sign.

I think it´s good she changed her 3Lo with 3F, because I think it would be more difficult to add a 2T to the loop.

When that said, this was the first time Mia didn´t manage to add the combo on the toeloop, in fact, looking at her recent results she has attempted 3T-3T in all of her SP this season, and had only one fall and except for minus in grade of execution, she never gotten anything else then a q on the triple triple, even with fall, so that is another impressive statistic. Mostly the triple triple has gotten positive GOE.

It´s better that she messes up her SP a little at Nationals, rather than at Euros. She had so many good SP until now that I was getting worried that it may all fall apart at Euros. I think it´s good in a way that makes her focus even more on the task, and not take too easy on it because if has been working all season.

Country
Norway
I have updated the OP and added the results from Nationals, and there was also a video from her FS which I added on the list of videos if anybody wants to watch.

The Norwegian skating Union has published a short article about Euros and have asked Mia a few questions

Translated:

Facts: Mia Caroline Risa Gomez - single skater

Club: Stavanger Kunstløpklubb

How does it feel to be taking part in the EC – your first major championship at senior level?

- It is really great to be able to participate in the EC and I am looking forward to it. I'm a bit nervous as it's my first time both in the senior class and at such a big championship, but I'm really looking forward to it. I am very happy and grateful that I had the opportunity to join this competition.

What are your expectations for the EC?

- I try not to have too high expectations, since it is my first major championship, but the goal is to qualify for the free skate.

You have recently become Norwegian senior champion for the first time. Was this event part of the preparations to the EC?

I have had several ice training sessions to work on the programs, choreography and stabilization of the elements. I also had the Norwegian Championships in Trondheim last weekend, which was a very good opportunity for me to compete and run both races in competition before the championship itself. It is very reassuring to have run both races already in an important competition after a short break with competitions and some time off at Christmas. I feel more confident and prepared to run both races again very soon in Finland. The fact that it was a good result for me at the championship was very fun and motivating towards the EC and makes me just look forward to competing again.

Do you have any particular goals for the championship?

- The goal is to be among the top 24 after the short program and qualify for the free skate.

There are many demanding jumps in figure skating, including the lutz. The last time a female Norwegian figure skater did this jump was in 1999, now you do this in combination with another triple - do you plan to try 3Lz+3T in the free skate during the season?

- Yes, I really want to and hope that I can include 3Lz+3T in the free skate during this season.

--

Sounds like Mia is well prepared and has realistic goals for her first senior championship. I´m also excited to read that she plans to try 3Lz-3T in the free skate this season. She will probably not try it at Euros, but maybe we will see her try it at Nordics if she has nothing to lose.

I also checked and she is listed at a domestic competition the first week in March, so maybe she wants to wait until then.

I´m not sure that Mia will do many more international competitions between Nordics and WC though, if she is going to that and the domestic competition as well she will soon have reached the limit of recommended competitions per season given by the Skating Union. They don´t recommend more then 8 - 10 competitions a season even for elite skaters because they want the skaters to rest and not risk injury. EC will be her 7th competition this season, Nordics 8th, if she is doing the domestic competition it´s 9 and then WC will be 10.

Country
Norway
Congratz to Mia to making the FS! This was the goal and she did it despite having a fall on the combo in the warm up. She seems mentally very strong and I can´t wait to see what she does in the FS!

I´m not really impressed with how the judges scored her but that was to be expected for ISU Championship. I knew it was going to be strict but hoped she would hit 50 with such a skate.

Mia had a bit of bad luck, if it wasn´t for the WD she wouldn´t have been in the first group after scoring almost the maximum points of international events this fall, after all she is nr. 33 at SR. There would have been 6 groups and she would have been in the second group, given her probably a bit better scoring. This is the reality though in figure skating, and I was prepared for it, so I was not really outraged. The good news is she will get ranking points after Euros now after qualifying, and i´m sure in just one year time she will get better marks just because she will be a higher ranked skater. I think this shows not only in PCS, but how the judges rate the GOEs honestly.

I´m surprised to see the judges gave Mia up to -2 on the combo in the protocols. During the skate they gave the combo +GOE. It must have been changed after the review when they decided the combo should have a q. Chris was surprised the judges had judged it as a q (he is often wrong but irt the combo looked great!)

However, my biggest problem in her scoring is the PCS by judge 9. Everybody else gave Mia 6 and 5 in PCS, but judge 9 gave her only 3, and 3.0 in skating skills :eek2: In general I was pleased enough with her PCS because as a first group skater you often get really low balled and 22 is not bad, but I was shocked when I looked at the protocols and what that judge gave her. I havn´t done the math, but he might be the reason Mia didn´t hit 50 points. I hope they remove this judge before the FS. Such big difference in scoring is not ok.

Country
Norway
Congratz Mia with a great debut at Euros :clap: :clap: :clap:

She reached her goal of reaching the final, and she was the first lady in Norway to do so since 2018!

It´s not the best FS she had all season, but she held it together all though she had a rough start with a fall on the lutz. The 3F was really great and got rewarded by the judges! I had hoped she would have improved her ISU PB a little, but the total score was actually a half point lower then in JGP this season. However, she improved her FS score with about 1 point.

Since she reached the final she achieved some ranking points and now moved up to nr. 89 on WS.

Her next competition is already this weekend. Nordics competition in Reykjavik, Iceland. This could be an exciting event where she might be in fight for the podium, but it´s a very strong field with Finnish ladies, and let´s ut not forget Josefin Taljegård is competing there as well. So everything will depend on who skates clean.

I hope she isn´t feeling too tired after Euros and Nationals prior to this, but more skaters are doing back to back competition at Nordics after Euros and EYOF last week, so she is not in the only one.

Country
Norway

Mia got the WC spot as expected and will be debuting at Worlds in her first senior season :clap: :clap: :clap: Congratulations!

So there was no need to worry about Mias WD from Challenge Cup this weekend, she is probably concentrating on preparing for Worlds instead since she has already done 8 competitions this season. As I mentioned earlier The Skating Union only recommend that the skaters do 8-10 competitions a season, so that could be another reason that she WD.

The Skating Union hasn´t officially yet announced it, this is her skating club reporting.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Mia apparently has a Wikipedia page now :biggrin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mia_Risa_Gomez

I was always wondering about the story behind that she was born in Mexico City, that has been on her ISU bio for a while. Apparently additional information has been added on her ISU bio which is the source of the personal life: Her mother is Mexican, father Norwegian, she was born in Mexico and the family moved to Norway when Mia was 2 years old.

Country
Norway
Strong practice from Mia today in Japan, notes from Rockerskating:

Risa Gomez: 3S1Eu2F, 3T2A, runthru (marked Lz/F, 3S, 3T2A, 3S1Eu2F, 2A2T), 3Lo, 2Lz, 3Lz, 3Lz

She did her FS layout.

I guess she is doing SP run through tomorrow. I´m wondering if she will go for the 3F as solo jump in the SP or go for something safer like a 3S. Originally in the beginning of the season she did 3Lo in the SP, but switched it to 3F. Her 3Lo was sometimes giving her trouble in the SP, and she didn´t need to keep it as solo jump in senior competitions.

If she switches the flip, I think 3S would be the better choice because her salchows have been so solid in the FS this season.

According to my calculations from WS Mia will be skating in the first group, and have a draw between startnr. 1-3. I´m afraid the early start group will affect her score a little, and it´s going to be very difficult to reach the final. However I hope she will have a good experience and enjoy the SP and being at Worlds and not think so much about getting to the finals.

You go Mia, going to Worlds in your first senior year :hap10: :hap10:
(Also the first Norwegian female skater to qualify for Worlds since Anne Line Gjersem in 2018).

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Mia got start nr. 1 and will start the whole womens event tomorrow :biggrin: :biggrin:

She posted some stories on Instagram from the recent practices. Looks like she is as prepared as she can be. She landed several clean 3T-3T and 3F in practice so she is going to stick with the flip tomorrow.

Best of luck to our girl in her first WC :hap10: :hap10:

She will skate 07.50 CET, so it´s just before I start my work day. I will be able to watch her skate before starting my work day on home office, so i´m sort off happy she skates first.

Country
Norway

Congratz to Mia with her first WC :clap: :clap:

It wasn´t the skate she wanted, but it´s a good experience and i´m sure she will grow on this.

I´m proud of how well she reacted after the skate and did not show too much disappointment, all though she must have felt that way after the good practices she had.

Hopefully next year she will have a better skate, i´m sure we will see her at Worlds next season too. Hopefully she can climb more on WS next season and be a higher ranked skater.

I believe this was her last competition for the season and i´m excited to follow her in the off season. I´m guessing she will keep her SP and make a new FP for next season. I´m excited about this, all though her WW program is awesome I can´t wait too see her go for something more in senior style. What do you think?

I would like to see her do a more up beat program, but classical. Maybe something like Vivaldis four season.

Country
Norway
Lorenzo Magri has been at Mias rink in Norway this easter and worked with a small group of skaters including her, her little sister, the Joos sister Noemi and Sarina, and a Polish skater, according to a recent story of him. Before that he has been posting a lot of storys where I already recognized that he was in Mias home town Stavanger :biggrin: So I already suspected for a few days now that he was there to work with Mia.

There hasn´t been any post from the skating, so i´m not sure what they have been working with, if it is just general skating skills and jumps or if they have been working with new programs. I would really love if Mia made a new FP with Lorenzo so I´m hoping they have been working with programs as well. From earlier I already know Mia worked with Lorenzo on jumps when she was at summer camp in France last summer. It really seemed that her work with Lorenzo last time had huge improvement on her jumps, so i´m really excited that she already worked more with him so early in the off season.

I´m really impressed with Mias club and how they were able to get Lorenzo to come to Norway and work there at easter. I was really amazed that the Joos-sisters have been taking the trip to Norway to go to camp as well.