Mishin contracted coronavirus | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mishin contracted coronavirus

ribbit

On the Ice
The covid statistics are relatively unreliable everywhere. In the US, the numbers tend to be a bit inflated because the federal government reimburses hospitals for treatment of covid patients, so someone who dies of something else (i.e. a car accident or cancer) is counted as a covid death if they test positive for the virus, even if asymptomatic. Most "covid deaths" here are actually the result of the virus, but hospitals are incentivized to label any patients as such.
A brief clarification: the US government is reimbursing providers for the cost of Covid-related testing and treatment for uninsured patients. They've also provided a supplement to Medicare payments for Covid-related testing and treatment. The official government websites:

The claim that hospitals are inflating Covid statistics for profit has been repeatedly debunked:

And there are many more reputable factchecking sites and news organizations that have likewise investigated and rejected this claim.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
A brief clarification: the US government is reimbursing providers for the cost of Covid-related testing and treatment for uninsured patients. They've also provided a supplement to Medicare payments for Covid-related testing and treatment. The official government websites:

The claim that hospitals are inflating Covid statistics for profit has been repeatedly debunked:

And there are many more reputable factchecking sites and news organizations that have likewise investigated and rejected this claim.

Much of this is a matter of semantics. From your MedPage Today link:
"Let's be clear physicians are not inflating the number of COVID-19 patients," the American Medical Association said in its statement.
This is one thing. A person testing positive for COVID, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic, is a "COVID-19 patient".

If a person gets into a car accident, dies at the hospital and has a positive COVID test, that is a COVID patient, as we define anyone who tests positive as a COVID case. I don't think this is disputed. These potentially can be classified as "COVID deaths", which is problematic. For example: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/12/17/grand-county-coronavirus-deaths-covid/

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Regardless of the US it looks like covid has been hard on the Russian top skaters and coaches. It may be their choices but still sad especially considering Mishin's age.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Much of this is a matter of semantics. From your MedPage Today link:
"Let's be clear physicians are not inflating the number of COVID-19 patients," the American Medical Association said in its statement.
This is one thing. A person testing positive for COVID, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic, is a "COVID-19 patient".

If a person gets into a car accident, dies at the hospital and has a positive COVID test, that is a COVID patient, as we define anyone who tests positive as a COVID case. I don't think this is disputed. These potentially can be classified as "COVID deaths", which is problematic. For example: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/12/17/grand-county-coronavirus-deaths-covid/

"Potential" is not what hospitals are doing. I can "potentially" land a quadruple axel:biggrin:.

Ribbit's citations make clear that hospitals are *not* inflating COVID death statistics. Sadly, our COVID deaths here are what they are. And are accurately reported :(

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
"Potential" is not what hospitals are doing. I can "potentially" land a quadruple axel:biggrin:.

Ribbit's citations make clear that hospitals are *not* inflating COVID death statistics. Sadly, our COVID deaths here are what they are. And are accurately reported :(

I then cited an instance of a murder-suicide being classified as two COVID deaths, as reported by (not fake news) CBS. I don't believe that misclassification is a widespread problem, but it is false to say that there are 0 misclassifications, whether intentional or not, and it does result in death numbers being a bit inflated. That hospital or physician associations say they don't do it may in fact be true, but I wouldn't cite them as the final authority on the matter without an audit of how these misclassifications happen.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Thank you for doing the research for me. I've been fighting this ignorance all last year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Thank you for doing the research for me. I've been fighting this ignorance all last year.
It's not ignorance. You're free to think the private equity firms who own many practices around the country, and provide much of the staffing for ERs, are ethical beyond reproach. I think this is a good read about the profit-driven mindset of hospital systems in the U.S., and the extent to which these firms silence dissenting voices: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...rol-many-hospitals-ers-nursing-homes-n1203161

Just to clarify, I support the lockdowns and don't think the covid deaths are vastly different than reported. My opinion is that, if given the choice to pick among two causes of deaths when it is unclear which should be listed as the primary, a private equity-owned practice would be more inclined to select one that generates a greater payout.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The best way to see covid death toll is by comparing the number of deaths from year to year... which will be difficult to do in some countries... In some Canadian provinces, it is clear that the mortality rate has raised significantly in 2020, and that's actually useful to evaluate the impact of Covid. False labeling happens both ways... for various reasons... in various countries/states/provinces using diverse methods... There will always be people who try to claim fraud when stats are mentioned... Here is an example... in this article it mentions that Covid killed more people in Alberta in 10 months than the flu did in 10 years... Of course, some people said that some deaths are mislabeled etc and that they are not coming from covid but from the flu... but then, if you read the entire article, it is clearly explained how the doctors can easily genetically spot which deaths are from covid and which ones are not... but of course... some people do not read the entire articles or do not believe in science and just protest :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope Professor Mishin recovers swiftly, and that, indeed, the Russian version is milder than ours in the USA. He is a worldwide, not just a Russian treasure. Are there recent reports of how he is doing?

Here, friends who avoided the hospital tell me it is the sickest they have ever been. Two have died.

LRK

Record Breaker
I hope Professor Mishin recovers swiftly, and that, indeed, the Russian version is milder than ours in the USA. He is a worldwide, not just a Russian treasure. Are there recent reports of how he is doing?

Here, friends who avoided the hospital tell me it is the sickest they have ever been. Two have died.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Doris.

And my condolences to all who have lost people they care about this terrible year.

Strength & healing to all.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are there recent reports of how he is doing?
Not that I can find, although the sports.ru people did apparently ring him to get his opinion on the Zheleznyakov drunken (?) duel challenge against Plushy

He was not interested in commenting 😶 but at least he answered the phone, I guess?

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Not that I can find, although the sports.ru people did apparently ring him to get his opinion on the Zheleznyakov drunken (?) duel challenge against Plushy

He was not interested in commenting 😶 but at least he answered the phone, I guess?
Not sure which reaction smiley I should use for this: :ROFLMAO:, :mad:, :eek2:? What did they expect, Mishin turning up on a white mare in Moscow acting as Plushy's second in the duel?
Well, I'll take any good news I can get, and I guess Mishin picking up the phone, even for such a ridiculous interview, is a positive sign overall.
Edit: found the correct reaction to that phone call :palmf:

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am slightly disgusted that Sports.ru phoned a sick person, officially diagnosed with COVID-19, just to know his opinion about a ridiculous hypothetical duel suggested by some choreographer nobody's ever heard of - even if he operates in a well-known camp. I don't think that's normal. You only phone sick people when the world is ending or when you're concerned about them.

Happy as I am to note Alexei Mishin himself picked up the phone (which presumably means he has mild symptoms), I do worry about the integrity of a medium even calling someone in this situation. I just hope he recovers, preferably soon. Nobody wishes to miss this icon at the boards!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Good news, Mishin's latest Corona test was reportedly negative: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKLdGQ8ph3y/?igshid=1uonxbb1zlopr
I just saw the news and was about to post it, but you beat me to it ;)

Here's a news article about it:

I really hope the Professor will recover fully and we'll get to see his Grumpa face at the boards once more. 😊

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The covid statistics are relatively unreliable everywhere. In the US, the numbers tend to be a bit inflated because the federal government reimburses hospitals for treatment of covid patients, so someone who dies of something else (i.e. a car accident or cancer) is counted as a covid death if they test positive for the virus, even if asymptomatic. Most "covid deaths" here are actually the result of the virus, but hospitals are incentivized to label any patients as such.
As an aside, I will offer this without comment. I was having a conversation with someone who was my counterpart in the state patrol over in Bremerton about our recent power outages . I believe him to be very smart and savey. He told me that three separate unrelated health care professionals now have told him that they were "encouraged" to label patients as covid patients.