mk phantoms for ISI freeskate 4-5? | Golden Skate

mk phantoms for ISI freeskate 4-5?

okay

Spectator
Hi again!! So I am getting new boots and my current blades will not fit, so I have to buy new ones as well. Currently, I am using Coronation Ace blades, but I would like to experiment with a larger toepick, and it seems that MK Phantoms might be a good choice. I only started skating four months ago, but am currently working on my axel and double salchow (axel is still a bit rough, 2s is almost there). There seems to be a reoccuring event where I buy new boots/blades that are fit for my skill level, only for them to be insufficient within a few months, so I am wondering if I would be better off just going for the more advanced blades. And, I have read that Phantoms make edge jumps easier, which would be beneficial, given I struggle the most with axels and loops. I have also found that it is difficult for me to grip the ice from a forwards take off with the CA's toepick, and I guess that I was expecting a larger difference between them and my original, Jackson Mark II blades... I am aware that overblading can be problematic; but would there be a safety concern for someone at an ISI 4/5 level? Also, are there any benefits to the revolution versions? My ankles are probably already a bit damaged from years of ballet, and I have heard their flexibility allows for a decreased risk of further ankle injury; but I'm not sure if that's genuinely true. And, I have heard that they can be scratchy, which would be problematic given I am extremely sensitive to noise; does anyone have problems with this?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi again!! So I am getting new boots and my current blades will not fit, so I have to buy new ones as well. Currently, I am using Coronation Ace blades, but I would like to experiment with a larger toepick, and it seems that MK Phantoms might be a good choice. I only started skating four months ago, but am currently working on my axel and double salchow (axel is still a bit rough, 2s is almost there). There seems to be a reoccuring event where I buy new boots/blades that are fit for my skill level, only for them to be insufficient within a few months, so I am wondering if I would be better off just going for the more advanced blades. And, I have read that Phantoms make edge jumps easier, which would be beneficial, given I struggle the most with axels and loops. I have also found that it is difficult for me to grip the ice from a forwards take off with the CA's toepick, and I guess that I was expecting a larger difference between them and my original, Jackson Mark II blades... I am aware that overblading can be problematic; but would there be a safety concern for someone at an ISI 4/5 level? Also, are there any benefits to the revolution versions? My ankles are probably already a bit damaged from years of ballet, and I have heard their flexibility allows for a decreased risk of further ankle injury; but I'm not sure if that's genuinely true. And, I have heard that they can be scratchy, which would be problematic given I am extremely sensitive to noise; does anyone have problems with this?
You really don't need a Phantom. You can try the MK Pro though if you hate the Coro Aces. Revolution is unnecessary.

spinningdancer

Rinkside
I have Phantoms, and have been in them for years now. You don't need them for axel and beginning doubles, but you can use them. The thing about Phantoms is that they are a great all purpose blade, even good for doing pattern dance tests (though I wouldn't use them for competitive dance), but to get all that you can out of them, you have to have strong skating skills (and be ok with one of the biggest toe picks out there). I'd go more with Moves test level than freestyle level when recommending blades. I wouldn't recommend an "advanced" blade for anyone below Novice Moves, as it will likely have little to no benefit to someone who lacks the edge depth and control and skating skills. A lot of people confuse jumping skills with skating skills. You can be working on doubles and have very strong skating skills, or you can be working on doubles and have a lot of room for improvement when it comes to skating skills. Skating skills take a lot of time and practice to perfect, like years. "Intermediate" blades, such as MK Pros, are more than enough for most people. They should be sufficient for all double jumps. That being said, some people just prefer the feel of higher level blades, in which case, if you have the money, buy what you want with it.

okay

Spectator
You only started skating four months ago and you're already working on axel/doubles? How many hours a week do you skate?
People keep saying this to me and I swear on my cat I am telling the truth😵‍💫. I'm not really sure how it happened, I usually skate 4-6 hrs/week; but I learned all my single jumps around month 2 and they were consistent enough where my coach decided it was time to start working on higher level jumps. If it helps, I was in ballet most of my life, and was always recognized as a good jumper :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
People keep saying this to me and I swear on my cat I am telling the truth😵‍💫. I'm not really sure how it happened, I usually skate 4-6 hrs/week; but I learned all my single jumps around month 2 and they were consistent enough where my coach decided it was time to start working on higher level jumps. If it helps, I was in ballet most of my life, and was always recognized as a good jumper :)
You did not answer the question regarding skating skills...