MK Professional Lite - opinions? | Golden Skate

MK Professional Lite - opinions?

grifuts

Spectator
Country
Germany
I’ve been skating for about 4 years on and off as a hobby. I couldn’t advance much (jump-, spin-, footwork- and learning how to use my edges-wise) due to my boots being too big and the blades being unpredictable on the ice. It didn’t bother me at first but now I want to learn how to skate properly and improve my technique, and I am looking for the right gear to help me reach the level I want to.

To give you an idea of what I can do: I can hold a spin for a couple of seconds, skate backwards quickly, forward crossovers, waltz jumps, 3-turns.

My skate tech recommended the MK Pros and Coronation Aces, but due to these blades being sold out they said I’d either have to wait 3 to max. 12 weeks for the Coronation Aces or Pros… or I could get the MK Pro Lites right now.

I’ve read on this forum about how the Lites don’t help skaters learn how to properly use edges and that its hard to spin on them. On the other hand, I’ve also read about how they helped the skater improve edges and jumps tremendously.

So my question is, how much of the Lites’ quality and support it gives the skater comes down to pure preference and how objectively can you say that their construction is bad?

Anyone with experience on wearing them is more than welcome to share their thoughts!

tinna

Spectator
Hi. I am not a good spinner, but I used to have Coronation Ace Lites and I could spin in them with no difficulty.
However, I preferred the regular Coronation Aces - the weight of the blade actually helped me when I was learning spin entries. When the Lites were ruined by a bad sharpening, I did not get a second pair.

This is just my opinion, I am not knowledgeable enough in blades to be able to tell you if the construction is bad or not. I am an adult skater who got them because I liked the look and they were available at that time. For jumping, the lightness did not really make a difference.

Lutz Mark

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi,

Sounds like superstitions or something. The MK Professional and Lite versions should skate exactly the same. The only difference being the weight which is not that big of a deal considering there are even bigger difference in boot weights depending on the model, brand, and size. I switched to lighterweight blades as I wanted stainless steel runners. I noticed the difference in weight, but it was just something to get used to. I wouldn't say it made any big difference in my skating. Of course lighter equipment will be less fatiguing in the long run so that part is good. The Professional design is a standard mid-range blade that should be suitable for many skaters.

Congratulations on your new goals though! Proper boot fit is so important so make sure you have a good fitter. You want a very close fit all around your foot so that you have proper support.

Lutz Mark

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Very interesting,

Maybe it is because the blade is more flexible without having the large stantions? Do you think it would hold back this skater?

grifuts

Spectator
Country
Germany
Yes. As it's not great for spinning, especially catch foot spins and beilmanns
I’m not planning on doing biellmanns anytime soon being at a level such as mine, so that aspect doesn’t bother me.

I decided to take the lites after all... Impatience being one of the main factors that pushed me towards this decision. Even if what you have said is true, now I’m stuck with them so I’ll have no choice but to adapt and get a new pair of blades when these ones wear off if it turns out I really hate them.
What really matters to me is that I can improve my technique in them, and they wouldn’t be this expensive if they were bad blades.
In any case, they’re a huge upgrade from my crappy no-name brand blades I used to have.

I hope I won’t absolutely despise them.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and commenting, I really appreciate it!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m not planning on doing biellmanns anytime soon being at a level such as mine, so that aspect doesn’t bother me.

I decided to take the lites after all... Impatience being one of the main factors that pushed me towards this decision. Even if what you have said is true, now I’m stuck with them so I’ll have no choice but to adapt and get a new pair of blades when these ones wear off if it turns out I really hate them.
What really matters to me is that I can improve my technique in them, and they wouldn’t be this expensive if they were bad blades.
In any case, they’re a huge upgrade from my crappy no-name brand blades I used to have.

I hope I won’t absolutely despise them.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and commenting, I really appreciate it!
Yes, what I have said is true--I've tested and/or worn all blades at some point at my level and there are expensive blades that suck but hey I hope they work out for you either way and you aren't doing any kind of catch foot spins anytime soon, good luck.