MK Professional Lite vs Revolution | Golden Skate

MK Professional Lite vs Revolution

sk8ranna

Spectator
I currently skate on Edea ice flies and coronation ace blades. I have my axel and double sal I’m working on getting them more consistent. My skate tech told me that I need new blades and recommended the MK professionals. I also talked to my coaches and they said the same. Since I have such lightweight boots, it would only make sense to have lightweight blades as well. I also love the look of the lites and revolutions which is also a plus. What are the pros and cons of each? They are about the same price and my feet have stopped growing so that’s not an issue. Which would you recommend? The lites or the revolutions?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I currently skate on Edea ice flies and coronation ace blades. I have my axel and double sal I’m working on getting them more consistent. My skate tech told me that I need new blades and recommended the MK professionals. I also talked to my coaches and they said the same. Since I have such lightweight boots, it would only make sense to have lightweight blades as well. I also love the look of the lites and revolutions which is also a plus. What are the pros and cons of each? They are about the same price and my feet have stopped growing so that’s not an issue. Which would you recommend? The lites or the revolutions?
Neither. I'd stick with the traditional one, less issues to affect skating. Honestly, if you're into doubles, wearing Ice Flies already and your feet aren't growing, you should be looking at an MK Gold Star or JW Gold Seal. Also, I don't understand why they are suggesting an MK Pro when you're basically skating on the JW equivalent of it already in the Coro Ace.

sk8ranna

Spectator
Neither. I'd stick with the traditional one, less issues to affect skating. Honestly, if you're into doubles, wearing Ice Flies already and your feet aren't growing, you should be looking at an MK Gold Star or JW Gold Seal. Also, I don't understand why they are suggesting an MK Pro when you're basically skating on the JW equivalent of it already in the Coro Ace.
I was thinking about those too. Are they too high for my level? I feel like I’d be overbladed. And what are the differences between the gold seals, gold stars, phantoms and p99?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was thinking about those too. Are they too high for my level? I feel like I’d be overbladed. And what are the differences between the gold seals, gold stars, phantoms and p99?
They are not too high for your level. They're probably perfect for your progress right now. I wouldn't be looking at Phantoms because those are more of a 2A/Triple type of blade, but I will be including them in the breakdown below because you mentioned them.

Gold Seal and P99 are both 8 foot rockers. Gold Star and Phantoms are both 7 foot rockers. Gold Seals are slightly curvier than P99 on the spin rocker. The P99 and Phantom both have bigger toe picks than the Gold Seal/Star but both are generally good for jumps and you're unlikely to feel a huge difference based of toe pick size alone at doubles.

sk8ranna

Spectator
They are not too high for your level. They're probably perfect for your progress right now. I wouldn't be looking at Phantoms because those are more of a 2A/Triple type of blade, but I will be including them in the breakdown below because you mentioned them.

Gold Seal and P99 are both 8 foot rockers. Gold Star and Phantoms are both 7 foot rockers. Gold Seals are slightly curvier than P99 on the spin rocker. The P99 and Phantom both have bigger toe picks than the Gold Seal/Star but both are generally good for jumps and you're unlikely to feel a huge difference based of toe pick size alone at doubles.
Thank you so much! And one more question, which ones are the most similar to coronation aces because I don’t really want to have to relearn everything

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much! And one more question, which ones are the most similar to coronation aces because I don’t really want to have to relearn everything
JW Gold Seal. But be aware that the rocker sizes are an inch more on the top blades. You can't get around that, so things will take a little adjustment no matter what. Nothing major though.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Before purchasing anything, I'd be asking your coaches (and possibly skate tech) why they recommended MK Professionals. Do you find jumping easier than spinning? To my mind, the only reason they'd be recommending a switch from CA to Pros is because they think you'll find spinning easier on a 7' rocker.

I'll never understand why people think that going from a 8' to 7' rocker - or vice versa - will mean that they have to relearn everything and skating will be a struggle. I happily moved from Coronation Ace (8') to Phantom (7') and just found that everything was easier and spinning was a joy!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Before purchasing anything, I'd be asking your coaches (and possibly skate tech) why they recommended MK Professionals. Do you find jumping easier than spinning? To my mind, the only reason they'd be recommending a switch from CA to Pros is because they think you'll find spinning easier on a 7' rocker.

I'll never understand why people think that going from a 8' to 7' rocker - or vice versa - will mean that they have to relearn everything and skating will be a struggle. I happily moved from Coronation Ace (8') to Phantom (7') and just found that everything was easier and spinning was a joy!
??? The Coronation Ace also has a 7' radius main rocker. The spin rockers of the Coronation Ace and MK Pro are different.

1111bm

Final Flight

Coro Aces have a 7' main rocker.

I've never skated on a 7' blade and I'd be scared to. I never fall backwards off my blades the way all my fellow skaters frequently do (on jump landings, but also just on footwork) and I think part of the reason might be the 8' rocker of my blades? So I'd be worried to lose that stability.
(Although 5 years ago I've skated recreationally on hockey skates for 1,5 winter seasons and never fell either, save for one time while adjusting after a long summer break, and hockey blades are pretty round and short too, so who knows. But then again, I never attempted figure skating moves on them ;))

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I never fall backwards off my blades the way all my fellow skaters frequently do (on jump landings, but also just on footwork) and I think part of the reason might be the 8' rocker of my blades?
That wouldn't be the 8 foot rockers. It happens to basically all of my friends and we're all on 8 foot rockers except for one or two of us.

1111bm

Final Flight
That wouldn't be the 8 foot rockers. It happens to basically all of my friends and we're all on 8 foot rockers except for one or two of us.
Haha, I guess my posture must be really bad/forward then. 😩

No but I'm aware that it's not unusual for skaters to fall off the blades backwards like that, I see it happening all the time of course. But somehow in my mind this was explained by skaters doing multi-rotational jumps, making it more of a challenge to keep that axis in the air and land with the weight in the right place, and even a flatter radius wouldn't help in most cases, once sth. goes a bit awry. Hence I just assumed that this shouldn't be much of an issue on single jumps with only 0.5 - 1 revolutions, and that a flatter radius could still compensate that during the landing, when a jump is 'off' (but this was just based on what I observed in my own training group/rink, since I'm one of the very few with an 8' main rocker)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Good lord, that'll teach me to try to type things when I'm flat out with vertigo. :laugh: :scratch2: Yes, Coronation Aces have a 7ft rocker. Can't imagine what I was thinking there, while the world was spinning... :sick::dbana: I can't remember what the blades I had before my Aces were but I know they had an 8ft rocker and I had no trouble adjusting to the change to 7ft. It's a long, long time ago, back in the early 1980s...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Good lord, that'll teach me to try to type things when I'm flat out with vertigo. :laugh: :scratch2: Yes, Coronation Aces have a 7ft rocker. Can't imagine what I was thinking there, while the world was spinning... :sick::dbana: I can't remember what the blades I had before my Aces were but I know they had an 8ft rocker and I had no trouble adjusting to the change to 7ft. It's a long, long time ago, back in the early 1980s...
Feel better soon!:ghug:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Haha, I guess my posture must be really bad/forward then. 😩

No but I'm aware that it's not unusual for skaters to fall off the blades backwards like that, I see it happening all the time of course. But somehow in my mind this was explained by skaters doing multi-rotational jumps, making it more of a challenge to keep that axis in the air and land with the weight in the right place, and even a flatter radius wouldn't help in most cases, once sth. goes a bit awry. Hence I just assumed that this shouldn't be much of an issue on single jumps with only 0.5 - 1 revolutions, and that a flatter radius could still compensate that during the landing, when a jump is 'off' (but this was just based on what I observed in my own training group/rink, since I'm one of the very few with an 8' main rocker)
I found I started doing it less when I started skating with proper posture. I find proper posture to be more stable whereas skating far forward sends you flailing if you have the slightest mistake. But with jumps of course the tipping will change all of that because the slightest problem and you're down.
I made that same mistake (also with vertigo ironically) a couple months ago. It happens. We all make mistakes, we're human. The mistake also makes sense because JW = 8 and MK = 7 99% of the time <3. Hope you feel better soon.

I had the worst time adjusting from 7' to 8' with spinning but everything else was perfect about 8' for me except twizzles which I eventually got used to and then preferred to the 8'. I went from something that was 7' to an Ultima blade which obviously doesn't have a good spin rocker so that made it a lot worse. So yeah, biggest advice for switching is don't go from a super curvy blade to a super flat one or vice versa.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
OP - another option for lightweight blades might be the new John Wilson Phoenix blades. They're made with carbon fiber, sort of like the Revolution blades, but they have the silhouette of a normal blade, so you wouldn't have to change your hand position on catchfoot skills. They come in profiles that are the same / similar to the Pattern 99 and the Gold Seal - though I think they are missing features like side-honing or tapering.

I'm nowhere even close to the level where I'd need a blade like that, so I can't speak authoritatively on them, and none of my skater friends have them yet. The techs in my area seem to like them OK. Has anyone here tried them out who might be able to weigh in on how they are?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OP - another option for lightweight blades might be the new John Wilson Phoenix blades. They're made with carbon fiber, sort of like the Revolution blades, but they have the silhouette of a normal blade, so you wouldn't have to change your hand position on catchfoot skills. They come in profiles that are the same / similar to the Pattern 99 and the Gold Seal - though I think they are missing features like side-honing or tapering.

I'm nowhere even close to the level where I'd need a blade like that, so I can't speak authoritatively on them, and none of my skater friends have them yet. The techs in my area seem to like them OK. Has anyone here tried them out who might be able to weigh in on how they are?
Yes, I posted about it in another thread on the Lutz Corner somewhere. Not a fan, I'll keep my standard P99's.

Also, I'd definitely not suggest them to OP.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I know many people do like them and many who don't. People like @Ic3Rabbit who have been skating on standard P99s for years and love the standard blades for what they are will likely not find them as pleasing after 10 years of skating on a blade they know and love every nook and cranny of. They're worth a try for someone who is at the level for them and still hasn't fallen in love with a blade yet, however I do not think they fit OPs level very well.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know many people do like them and many who don't. People like @Ic3Rabbit who have been skating on standard P99s for years and love the standard blades for what they are will likely not find them as pleasing after 10 years of skating on a blade they know and love every nook and cranny of. They're worth a try for someone who is at the level for them and still hasn't fallen in love with a blade yet, however I do not think they fit OPs level very well.
Actually, because I've tested all types of blades, and am open to new technology and lighter blades I don't have a problem with them. I don't feel they give enough of an edge to or a point of spending the extra $ for them if one is better off on a tried and true standard blade(hence my P99's). Perhaps if I was competing and doing 3A's and possibly quads like the ladies of today, then yes I would probably have picked a Phoenix. But I'm not anymore and so I don't lol!;) That said, I still don't suggest it for OP..I stick by my original suggestion of a standard JW Gold Seal blade.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Actually, because I've tested all types of blades, and am open to new technology and lighter blades I don't have a problem with them. I don't feel they give enough of an edge to or a point of spending the extra $ for them if one is better off on a tried and true standard blade(hence my P99's). Perhaps if I was competing and doing 3A's and possibly quads like the ladies of today, then yes I would probably have picked a Phoenix. But I'm not anymore and so I don't lol!;) That said, I still don't suggest it for OP..I stick by my original suggestion of a standard JW Gold Seal blade.
I more meant you grew up with mostly standard blades and already have a blade you love that you've been used to for a really long time. Nothing about you not being open to new technology.