Mysteries!

TallyT

Here for the High Lord of Extra
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm a huge fan of historical/medieval mysteries, they're in my comfort read lists; favourite writer is Paul Doherty.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone ever read Arturo Perez-Reverte, Spanish journalist and novelist whose fiction deals with art and antiquities in historical context usually with a mystery or mysteries attached? I have enjoyed:

EL CLUB DUMAS which deals with the murky often corrupt world of rare books and manuscripts.. the movie, Ninth Gate, was based on it..

THE FLANDERS PANEL about an art preservationist at a Paris museum who is asked to restore an unknown old master painting and uncovers a cryptic message hidden there

THE FENCING MASTER explores the world of weapons and swords in old and modern Spain

THE SEVILLE COMMUNION delves into Vatican secrets

THE NAUTICAL CHART shipwrecks and pirate treasure.. and

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH explores the violent dangerous world of a drug cartel whose leader is a mysterious diabolical resourceful woman. TV series here in America was based on this book.

His novels are fascinating, down to earth, earthy, gritty at times, all are compelling.

I have to read these!

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^ if you do let me know how you like them...
The first one is kinda spooky actually... you may look over your shoulder from time to time..:shocked:
Wikipedia notes author Perez-Reverte has a pessimistic view likely due to his experiences as a journalist in war zones and areas of conflict...

LRK

Record Breaker
Josephine Tey: "The Daughter of Time" (Re-read) - In this book it is the detective himself who has been laid by the heels. Alan Grant is languishing in hospital after having had the misfortune - and indignity - of falling through a trap door. As a diversion he decides to investigate a historical cold case - namely Richard III and the princes in the Tower.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm currently reading "Murder on Bank St.: by Victoria Thompson. Turn of the century NYC midwife & police detective. This whole series is excellent.

LRK

Record Breaker
Tim Bowler: "Endgame" - Omnibus containing the two last books ("Cutting Loose" & "Risking All") in the YA Blade series (which began with "Playing Dead", or, if the 2-in-1 omnibus, "Enemies"). I felt that the series got stronger as it progressed, and this was a very satisfying conclusion.

clovertree71

Rinkside
In the Bleak Midwinter, by Julia Spencer Fleming.

The Flavia Albia books, Lindsey Davis's latest historic Rome mysteries are good.