NBC Sports Gold - 2020-2021 Season Pass | Golden Skate

NBC Sports Gold - 2020-2021 Season Pass

DC2003

Rinkside
Has anyone received any notification yet from NBC regarding the 2020-21 Sports Gold season pass? I appreciate that it will be tough to offer something that may unfortunately not happen as planned (if at all). But, there are still plenty of past competitions that would be worth viewing regardless of what happens to the forthcoming season. With the last season pass now expired, I am awaiting my renewal to enter the site again, but have not heard anything from NBC if/when the new season passes will be available.

Ross74

Medalist
I emailed NBC Sports Gold support and got the following response this morning. It doesn't really say anything one way or another.

We currently do not have a release date for the Figure Skating Pass and there is no official schedule yet. Once this is updated you will be notify of any changes in regards to this pass.

DC2003

Rinkside
Thanks, Ross74. That's basically the response I was expecting. (Still would be nice, though, to be able to access the site to view past competitions!)

saturdaysun

On the Ice
I contacted them too to lodge a complaint about cutting off access to past competitions. I was in the middle of a rewatch of last season when it got cut off. It is extremely frustrating since they own all the broadcast rights and we can't access anything even if we wanted to pay for it. They should make the archive available for a discounted rate until the new season starts, then prorate it from the full price if necessary -- or even just let people watch for free/continue their pass from last season until the new one starts.

Ross74

Medalist
I contacted them too to lodge a complaint about cutting off access to past competitions. I was in the middle of a rewatch of last season when it got cut off. It is extremely frustrating since they own all the broadcast rights and we can't access anything even if we wanted to pay for it. They should make the archive available for a discounted rate until the new season starts, then prorate it from the full price if necessary -- or even just let people watch for free/continue their pass from last season until the new one starts.

Have you received a response?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Plus for a few months I could not access anything before US nationals on fire stick or Roku.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Have you received a response?

Just now:

Thank you for contacting NBC Sports. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Due to Covid, the Figure Skating Pass will not be available for purchase or renewal, we are actively monitoring the situation and as soon the Figure Skating is back, the Pass will be available for purchase.

You can go to https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/figure-skating to be the first one to know.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us again at any time.

:scowl:

DC2003

Rinkside
Well, that sucks! :( I was hoping to finally catch up on all I missed last season as we wait (and hope) for the new season to start. Thanks for the update - at least they are responding to everyone's inquiries.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for asking and getting that answer, saturdaysun.

I am really miffed that they didn't just extend the privilege of viewing the past competitions for people who'd already paid last year.

And on the other hand -- I have the sometime curse and sometime blessing of seeing the other hand -- as I concluded when I was complaining to my spouse about it -- they must be in a real quandary, since their whole site is televised sports, nothing to fall back on.

I still feel that they'd have gained a lot of good will, useful in the future, if they'd extended last year's coverage for last year's members.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In order to view archived (past) events on NBCSportsGold site, you would have had to choose the auto-renewal feature when you subscribed. Before they take any money out for auto-renewals, they provide advance alerts via email. This season is a totally different animal, so I check back regularly to see if there are any new updates. But when there has been news about past events and the beginning of a new season, I have received email alerts. It's too bad they aren't apparently able to provide more information. I'm not that happy with the NBCGold platform in terms of the way they post the content, and some of the technical glitches, though the streams are generally more reliable than former IceNetwork. Still, we have to go to YouTube or U.S. figure skating fanzone for the Ice Desk coverage before, during and after some major U.S. events, along with press conferences. The medal ceremonies usually aren't covered on any platform. NBCGold should be providing those ceremonies for the season pass fee they charge.

Since everything is uncertain right now, I would imagine the streaming service broadcasters are waiting to work it out with U.S. figure skating and with the ISU regarding which events might go forward and how those events will take place in terms of coverage. I can't see NBCGold trying to charge the past subscription amount for a compromised season with many events cancelled and the GP series truncated, while 2021 Worlds is also not set in stone.

The upcoming U.S. figure skating virtual event will apparently be provided on demand on U.S. figure skating fanzone.

The I.AM Live event (Ice Academy of Montreal) was streamed today on the I.AM website. They charged $15 (there was a discount code available on RockerSkating, but I'd paid to view the event before I saw the code). I didn't mind making the payment, which was more like a donation in any case. With the current health crisis, and the cancelling of events, skaters, coaches and training centers need funding. It was a fun event to watch, though it was only snippets of early programs, some of which are still works-in-progress (there were some new programs and some revamped RDs from last season). I don't currently see a thread on this site about that event. It's been a difficult time for all the athletes (as it is for all of us). I like the upbeat way I.AM and most everyone in the skating community have been handling the challenges.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Nope, I just checked. What I said earlier was wrong, due to blasted COVID. It looks like those vultures at NBCGold have cut off past viewing even for active auto-renewal accounts. They really have a nerve. With auto-renew in effect, I've always been able to continue viewing archived events from previous seasons.

With the fact that we didn't get to see 2020 Worlds, which was part of the subscription, they should keep available all of last season's content at the very least, especially for auto-renew accounts! This is disgusting. Fans should join together and lodge a complaint. No kidding!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@saturdaysun, can you provide the contact information you used to question NBC about the new season pass? There's no reason I can think of for auto-renewal accounts to be cut off this way.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope, I just checked. What I said earlier was wrong, due to blasted COVID. It looks like those vultures at NBCGold have cut off past viewing even for active auto-renewal accounts. They really have a nerve. With auto-renew in effect, I've always been able to continue viewing archived events from previous seasons.

With the fact that we didn't get to see 2020 Worlds, which was part of the subscription, they should keep available all of last season's content at the very least, especially for auto-renew accounts! This is disgusting. Fans should join together and lodge a complaint. No kidding!

Yes. I have auto renewal turned on. I am angry and am going to write them. I REALLY miss Ice Network. A person could go back years and watch comps. They also, from what I could tell, interviewed all the athletes after their skates. I’m sure that made it special for the athletes?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. I have auto renewal turned on. I am angry and am going to write them. I REALLY miss Ice Network. A person could go back years and watch comps. They also, from what I could tell, interviewed all the athletes after their skates. I’m sure that made it special for the athletes?

And did they show the podium content. It makes me angry that I can't watch galas and victory podium.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
@saturdaysun, can you provide the contact information you used to question NBC about the new season pass? There's no reason I can think of for auto-renewal accounts to be cut off this way.

It might help if more people wrote them and asked to restore their pass from last season until a new pass is available. The email is: [email protected]

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chiming in as one who misses IceNetwork, for reasons listed above. And I also loved their articles and interviews, which tended to have a creative slant and not be so limited to nuts and bolts.

I also well remember how many people regularly bashed IceNetwork. It's a reminder to all of us who like something to make our voices louder while it's still happening.

On that note, I'm really enjoying the Russian Test Skates and I'm loving Ted Barton's commentary. He has something positive, appreciative and/or encouraging to say about everyone.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It might help if more people wrote them and asked to restore their pass from last season until a new pass is available. The email is: [email protected]
Thanks so much for providing the contact information. I will definitely send them a message! They apparently have no regard for fans of figure skating. There's no communication at all. Especially for auto-renew subscribers, they should have corresponded with us about their plans. Even with uncertainty, they should have reached out to get feedback from us, before simply cutting us off from archived content!

I would have been willing to part with a minimal sum of $5.00 or $10.00 to retain past content during an uncertain period in the new season. Not that it should have been necessary to pay for past content. But a minimal fee could have been utilized as a down payment for whatever might be forthcoming in the future on NBCGold. Where things stand now is a mystery. Will various federations and the ISU offer content in variant ways and not through NBCSportsGold?

I'm with all of the posters here who miss the extensive content we got on IceNetwork. I don't miss the crappy IN streams, but I do miss the dedicated content which included backstage interviews, press conferences, full medal ceremonies, articles, analysis, etc!

In the wake of COVID, there are a lot of resourceful members of the skating community who have been reaching out with various podcast interviews and program clips. I really appreciated the recent training and program footage offered by Ice Academy of Montreal (I.AM) and @SkateOakvillePairs!!! These Canadian training centers offered this footage in order to communicate and share with fans and to fundraise during these difficult times for everyone.

I'm going to start a separate thread to discuss the exciting developments in pairs around the world.

DC2003

Rinkside
If the Grand Prix is truly starting again in a few weeks, we will hopefully and finally get some news about renewals from NBC Sports Gold. Has anyone heard anything yet?

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the Grand Prix is truly starting again in a few weeks, we will hopefully and finally get some news about renewals from NBC Sports Gold. Has anyone heard anything yet?

This!!! Given that figure skating doesn't get the TV coverage that it once did, I would like to be able to see the competitions.