NBC.... Why only ladies not men? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

NBC.... Why only ladies not men?

dearskate

Rinkside
Country
Scotland
Figure skating is one of the few sports where women are more p opular than men and where the viewing power is focussed on the ladies een if not American dominated. Yes, all three American men have a medal chance but they just don't have the interest orendorsements. Nathan is ana mazing athlete, skater but he is not as a big as a draw for endorsements. Life isn't fair.
I think its only in the States that the women seem to be the most popular. Its definitely not like that in Europe or Japan!!!

Jhar55

Medalist
Scott512, no not really big fan of them, find them both very irritating. Terry is ok.

lopesgw

Rinkside
It makes no sense:). That’s why I posted! Sometimes our ladies are up at the top ... sometimes they are not. But they always receive the most coverage even though we have stellar athletes in other categories!
I remember some shows when Davis and White were winning their 4th, 5th, record breaking 6th national title, as well as their pair of world gold...and they were still barely mentioned!

Fallingwater

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Do you not think there may be a very slight whiff of sexism going on here when it comes to female sports?

Over the past year male pro sports have been continuing through the pandemic while female sports are being suspended. Finally a female event gets a few scraps thrown at it in the form of a couple of hours extra TV coverage, and some people are up in arms!

There has been considerable talk where I live about female sports being set back years by the pandemic. Maybe we should welcome it when it finally gets some exposure.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
I should know this, but who is this doing the commentary for Peacock. Scottish dude. Was he one of the Eurosport trio? He’s good. He is giving criticism, unlike another English-speaking commentator
I recall of the three. One did the Olys and would always root for the skater whoever it was (I particularly remember him doing so during Jeremy Abbott’s disastrous Olys).

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I should know this, but who is this doing the commentary for Peacock. Scottish dude. Was he one of the Eurosport trio? He’s good. He is giving criticism, unlike another English-speaking commentator
I recall of the three. One did the Olys and would always root for the skater whoever it was (I particularly remember him doing so during Jeremy Abbott’s disastrous Olys).

I believe it's Mark Hanrietty.

khughes

On the Ice
I am dumbfounded. NBC tv is only broadcasting the ladies free skate, relegating all 3 other areas to a follow up presentation.

We have some wonderfully expressive and mature female skaters but they will not have a shot at medals with all the youngsters mechanically performing triples and quads.

But our men have great prospects... Nathan and Vincent both have the potential to medal... and who doesn’t want to savor Jason’s short again?!

Our ice dancers, especially H and D, have more chance of placing at the top than do the ladies!

I’m so tired of the focus on the women’s competition, sitting through so many ho hum skaters in order to view our competitors only to see them beaten by unartistic expressively bland skaters who jump.

But to not show the men when we have the World Champion unbeaten since the last Olympics is just unfathomable. Someone please help me understand...as I see figure skating fans are mostly older women...when there are opportunities to engage younger people with world class athlete performers like Nathan.
OK. This is the reason only the ladies free skate is being shown - Basketball! It's that simple and that silly. Of course, the men's should be shown too. However, I am not fond of this idea that the young Russian and Japanese skaters are not expressive skaters. Imo, Tennell is not as expressive or as exciting to watch as Shcherbakova, Kosternaia, Valieva or Kihara. None of these skaters, nor even Trusova, seem mechanical to me, or deserve to be dismissed so cavalierly. Nor I am a fan of a highly patriotic position. I am looking forward to watching Chen and Zhou, but I am also looking forward to seeing Hanya, Kolyada and Uno.

heyang

Record Breaker
I am dumbfounded. NBC tv is only broadcasting the ladies free skate, relegating all 3 other areas to a follow up presentation.

We have some wonderfully expressive and mature female skaters but they will not have a shot at medals with all the youngsters mechanically performing triples and quads.

But our men have great prospects... Nathan and Vincent both have the potential to medal... and who doesn’t want to savor Jason’s short again?!

Our ice dancers, especially H and D, have more chance of placing at the top than do the ladies!

I’m so tired of the focus on the women’s competition, sitting through so many ho hum skaters in order to view our competitors only to see them beaten by unartistic expressively bland skaters who jump.

But to not show the men when we have the World Champion unbeaten since the last Olympics is just unfathomable. Someone please help me understand...as I see figure skating fans are mostly older women...when there are opportunities to engage younger people with world class athlete performers like Nathan.

I agree that NBC would remiss to not broadcast Mens and Ice Dance during primetime as US has high likelihood of a podium position - moreso than ladies, IMHO. Also, they aren't even airing the Ladies live. with just 2 hours broadcast on Saturday night, we'll probably only get the US men's Long program aired.

As a Comcast customer, I do have NBCSN, Olympic Channel and access to Peacock. It's not as though I don't have the opportunity, but this lack of general airing does little to promote the sport. The Winter games are next year and NBC should be more interested in promoting figure skating.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you get NBCSN you can see a lot of coverage. However, I am not will to pay $65 a month to get that channel. I signed up for Peacock, which is not ideal, no commentary. To be a figure skating fan in the US is tough these days!
They provided commentary. I was surprised and happy and rewarded them with $$$

isk82

On the Ice
So you're the one who doesn't like them, the dynamic duo? ;) I trust you like Terry Gannon at least.
I wish I could listen to Johnny, Tara, and Terry. I think they are very fair and I also enjoy the banter between Johnny and "Terrence." 😆

isk82

On the Ice
I just discovered that they aren't keeping previous events up on peacock to watch again or later if you missed it. I was going to rewatch some of the ladies short, but it's not there anymore. :-(

Amei

Record Breaker
I just discovered that they aren't keeping previous events up on peacock to watch again or later if you missed it. I was going to rewatch some of the ladies short, but it's not there anymore. :-(

Is it permanent or possibly just till after their broadcast on the weekend to help bolster their numbers?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you have the option to switch off commentary? I'm not a fan of the NBC crew
Are you talking about Peacock? Peacock has Mark Hanretty, former ice dancer. No way to turn off commentary as far as I know. Tara, Johnny, and Terrence are on NBC and NBC SN. I actually enjoy their commentary.

Anke G

Rinkside
I'm watching Ladies Short on my desktop now. You need to scroll down through other stuff on the Sports page, but you'll find it. It's about 9 rows down. Also, it remembers where I left off, so I don't have to figure out what time point to look for.

Thanks to those who identified the commentator! He is great, knows his stuff and doesn't play favorites. (He assumes you know how the scoring system works.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hanretty