Netflix “Bad Sport” | Golden Skate

Netflix “Bad Sport”

Dawn825

Medalist
I watched it 2 nights ago. "The Second Mark" was a riveting book, and this felt like just reading the blurb on the back cover. It was ok, certain people came off really obnoxious imo but that was probably to be expected.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Per Phil Hersh on Twitter, the Salt Lake episode is apparently very biased against Anton and Elena, even implying that the accident on ice between Anton and Sale was practically his fault (which video coverage of the incident makes it clear that it wasn't). I remember in a television interview Sale all but said that it was Anton's fault, which really ticked me off. I'll skip it because I know it's just going to get me mad all over again.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Actually I was very disappointed in the episode in that I thought I would get some new insights but it was a rehash though I was surprised to hear that Anton and Elena had two other smaller mistakes in their LP. And I sincerely doubt that Anton intentionally ran into Jamie. And on a side note, I thought Tamara Moskvina was a great coach for Ina and Zimmerman.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I enjoyed the episode. I think it was a little biased towards the Canadians but they did try to balance it out with Tamara and Elena.

I think Elena was correct that it was unfair that her and Anton didn't really get to say their side of the story at the time whereas Jamie and David were everywhere in America (something I didn't know at the time in the UK, but I was like 9) and really got ahead of the story.

I also felt the Canadian judge saying the sloppy landing on the throw and the inelegant catch on the twist were major mistakes was a little much.

I watched TSL's interview with Brennen afterwards and she admits that is the Olympics hadn't been in Salt Lake they might not have gotten joint gold as it was the ISU's prefrence to deal with the judging the leave the result unchanged.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed the episode. I think it was a little biased towards the Canadians but they did try to balance it out with Tamara and Elena.

I think Elena was correct that it was unfair that her and Anton didn't really get to say their side of the story at the time whereas Jamie and David were everywhere in America (something I didn't know at the time in the UK, but I was like 9) and really got ahead of the story.

I also felt the Canadian judge saying the sloppy landing on the throw and the inelegant catch on the twist were major mistakes was a little much.

I watched TSL's interview with Brennen afterwards and she admits that is the Olympics hadn't been in Salt Lake they might not have gotten joint gold as it was the ISU's prefrence to deal with the judging the leave the result unchanged.
Their agent was brilliant with this strategy. They were constantly on the television, and it ultimately made it impossible for the ISU or IOC to ignore the controversy.

I'm sure both would have preferred to let the uproar die quietly, and the Canadians wouldn't let that happen.

Personally and with the benefit of time and emotional distance, I think reasonable arguments could be made for either team to win. What was not acceptable then, and it's not acceptable now, is the dealmaking and cheating through score manipulation.

*Edit: I did learn something. I didn't know the FBI was involved in the case, which surprises me. I think it was more because of the wiretaps of that Russian mobster... in other words, they accidentally found out during another investigation, rather than actively pursuing it as a sports scandal.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What was not acceptable then, and it's not acceptable now, is the dealmaking and cheating through score manipulation.
Having read The Second Mark I always thought it was weird that what tipped off the Head Judge or whoever she was was the fact that the French judge put the Russians ahead. Before any dealmaking was uncovered this Head Judge cornered the French judge and demanded to know why she put Elena and Anton ahead as if they'd fallen or missed an element. If I'd been a witness to that I would have been like "WTH?"

As it happened there was some chicanery there, but...the whole basis of suspicion at first seemed to be that a judge that typically went with the North Americans went with the Russians. Is that not in itself dodgy? Particularly in this instance where Alena and Anton's higher technical content and compelling artistic impression was legitimate enough to give them the win anyway (I always thought they deserved it)? I mean basically this was the judges admitting that if you're from this country you'll side with that team no matter what. Was this ever addressed or was all the focus on the dealmaking?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The only "bad sport" here appears to be Jamie Sale. Not content with her little temper tantrum netting her an undeserved gold medal, she's still implying that Anton ran into her deliberately on the warmup, and that Anton and Elena knew about the "fix", when it's been proved a dozen times over that they had no clue about anything and just wanted to skate their best.

I'd be absolutely ashamed if my biggest claim to fame was that I threw a temper tantrum on international television until I was given a medal I didn't deserve.

Oldcasualfan

Spectator
The only "bad sport" here appears to be Jamie Sale. Not content with her little temper tantrum netting her an undeserved gold medal, she's still implying that Anton ran into her deliberately on the warmup, and that Anton and Elena knew about the "fix", when it's been proved a dozen times over that they had no clue about anything and just wanted to skate their best.

I'd be absolutely ashamed if my biggest claim to fame was that I threw a temper tantrum on international television until I was given a medal I didn't deserve.
you won't be surprised to hear then that jamie sale is on twitter retweeting two negative comments on the episode in a passive aggressive move hoping to get her followers to pile on to the commenters and fight her battle for her. Pathetic move.

Oldcasualfan

Spectator

that canadian judge could not have been more dramatic. even his facial expressions from the old footage were over the top!

fishing

Rinkside
Interesting show. Several facets of ‘The second mark’ were discussed again but it was nice to see the interviews from all the athletes and Tamara. Brilliant move by David and Jamie to pick that agent. Still recall the live broadcast when Barbara Underhill said of the final scores: ‘this is wrong‘. An interesting way to make it right. However, in twenty years have we made progress in the scoring formulas? Should we still protect the judges anoniminity? My family still doesn’t trust the scoring system and thinks the sport is fixed. I will continue to watch and enjoy each and every performance knowing that my ’vote’ at home doesn’t count.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
you won't be surprised to hear then that jamie sale is on twitter retweeting two negative comments on the episode in a passive aggressive move hoping to get her followers to pile on to the commenters and fight her battle for her. Pathetic move.
That's so pathetic, especially considering that she got her gold medal and I bet you anything if non-figure skating fans were asked and remembered this incident they'd say "Jaime and David won over the Russian cheaters". Like they wouldn't even remember Anton and Elena's names.

I always thought it was dodgy that Jaime and David didn't receive a deduction for falling at the very end of their short program. They were given the benefit of the doubt there, had they not they wouldn't have been in the running for gold, French judge or not.

So yeah Jaime should get herself some perspective.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Per Phil Hersh on Twitter, the Salt Lake episode is apparently very biased against Anton and Elena, even implying that the accident on ice between Anton and Sale was practically his fault (which video coverage of the incident makes it clear that it wasn't). I remember in a television interview Sale all but said that it was Anton's fault, which really ticked me off. I'll skip it because I know it's just going to get me mad all over again.
They should have named the episode: "Bad Sport: Featuring Jamie Sale". I couldn't believe it when she implied that Anton may have intentionally run into her. The tape shows that she CLEARLY ran into HIM. She's such a whiner with a tenuous grasp of being truthful.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
She is a piece of work. Uggh. I am so happy for David that he was able to remove himself from her toxicity and found true love and happiness with Ekaterina Gordeeva.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Hmm, Jamie was featured and interviewed someplace warm and comfortable. Was it her home? Contrast that to seeing Elena sitting on a chair in the middle of an ice rink (or maybe it was just an empty barebones interview room, I can't rewatch it because it makes me sick to my stomach). I didn't see balance in that. One is warm and fuzzy NorthAmericans, the other cold and isolated Russians. I don't think it was by accident.

Last edited:

Dawn825

Medalist
Hmm, Jamie was featured and interviewed someplace warm and comfortable. Was it her home? Contrast that to seeing Elena sitting on a chair in the middle of an ice rink (or maybe it was just an empty barebones interview room, I can't rewatch it because it makes me sick to my stomach). I didn't see balance in that. One is warm and fuzzy NorthAmericans, the other cold and isolated Russians. I don't think it was by accident.
...Jamie is very clearly sitting in an ice rink.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
...Jamie is very clearly sitting in an ice rink.
Is she? Well then, my impression was wrong. I couldn't go back to check because her blatant lying and whining was too much for my stomach to take. We're supposed to respect this liar and conspiracy theorist? And yes, every much a BAD SPORT.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
As I said I learned nothing from this episode of Bad Sport except that S&P had a really "good" agent who knew a cash cow when he saw one. Jamie's fifteen minutes are up. Let her recede from the public consciousness like a brick in quicksand. Pity as she was a really fine athlete. I'm glad David has moved on.

Oh and Bad Sport is not that good a series relative to other similar series dealing with sports scandals. Storywise, there was no there, there.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As I said I learned nothing from this episode of Bad Sport except that S&P had a really "good" agent who knew a cash cow when he saw one. Jamie's fifteen minutes are up. Let her recede from the public consciousness like a brick in quicksand. Pity as she was a really fine athlete. I'm glad David has moved on.

Oh and Bad Sport is not that good a series relative to other similar series dealing with sports scandals. Storywise, there was no there, there.
Could you recommend some? I watched the horse story in horrified fascination🥲