Netflix - Why Don’t You Love Figure Skating As Much as I Do? | Golden Skate

Netflix - Why Don’t You Love Figure Skating As Much as I Do?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey folks,

This is an episode of a Netflix show with Jonathan Ness, a 6 inch Michelle Kwan and one Gracie E Gold. The title of the show is “Getting Curious With Jonathan Ness.” I believe it is episode 2.
They break down the differences between jumps. I’m not certain not knowing which jump is which is contributing to the decline in interest in the sport. He also discusses the scoring system and talks some about accessibility. That’s a lot to cover in a 30 minute show and I’m not sure he came to any conclusions. Michelle Kwan looks amazing.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Thanks for sharing. The decline in interest has to do with a lot of different factors, not so much viewers' inability to tell the jumps apart easily. It's more about big ball sports being hugely popular in the U.S. and taking up more of the air space. FS is a niche, elitist sport historically. The people running the sport are too out-of-touch, stuck-in-the-mud, and antiquated. A lack of leadership and no visionary thinking about promoting the sport effectively.

Plus, there's a lack of connecting the sport's history with current times, by first delving into and trying to understand and better disseminate aspects of the sport's history. Too much surface hype, unconnected to what makes the sport interesting. Problems with conflicts of interest, corruption, abuse scandals, mind-boggling lack of diversity, and faulty scoring system. Inadequate competitive structure; and the fact that pro skating was killed off ill-advisedly.