New Blades | Golden Skate

New Blades

avalerie696

Rinkside
Hello. I’m not really experienced in choosing blades as these are the first ones I’ll be buying (that are not attached to the boot). The highest level jump I can do is a flip and I’m learning sit spins and backscratches. I skate for 3 hours approx each weekend and skate when I’m free during the week. I’ve decided on the Risport RF3 Boots but I don’t really know what blade to get. I had Edea Overtures with the rotation blade, so I’m thinking of getting the Jackson Legacy 8. But I’ve heard a lot of people say the Coronation Ace is a good blade but it’s a 7ft rocker so I’m scared of the change it’ll have on whatever I’ve learn so far. One of my friends (at my same level) purchased the CA and said it’s hard to adjust to. But I’m not sure. I have a competition coming up in May. So should I take the chance with the CA blade? I’d love to try the CA Lite but I’m scared

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hello. I’m not really experienced in choosing blades as these are the first ones I’ll be buying (that are not attached to the boot). The highest level jump I can do is a flip and I’m learning sit spins and backscratches. I skate for 3 hours approx each weekend and skate when I’m free during the week. I’ve decided on the Risport RF3 Boots but I don’t really know what blade to get. I had Edea Overtures with the rotation blade, so I’m thinking of getting the Jackson Legacy 8. But I’ve heard a lot of people say the Coronation Ace is a good blade but it’s a 7ft rocker so I’m scared of the change it’ll have on whatever I’ve learn so far. One of my friends (at my same level) purchased the CA and said it’s hard to adjust to. But I’m not sure. I have a competition coming up in May. So should I take the chance with the CA blade? I’d love to try the CA Lite but I’m scared
First, do you have a coach to guide you? A fitter where you're getting your boots?

That said, my skater went from a Jackson Elle with an Ultima Mirage (8 ft. rocker) to a CA "clone" (Eclipse Mist 7 ft. rocker) at about your skill level. I think she was working on the Lutz at the time. Jumps were better, spins were better. She then went to an authentic Wilson CA and was immediately better all around, no adjustments at all. And, just to add a coda, she went from that CA to a Gold Seal (8 ft. rocker) with minimal adjustment as well. I don't know a thing about the Jackson blades, my skater is a Wilson skater for life, or so it seems when I've suggested other blades. Good luck, and don't be scared, you'll get used to whatever is on your feet.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
First of all, don't waste your time with the lite. There's absolutely no reason for lighter blades at your level.

I'd go for traditional CA personally because the transition to higher level blades (like Gold Seal, P99, Gold Star) will be made much easier. Ultima blades are great for jumping but they're awful for spinning and awful if you hate flat blades (like myself). Two months until a competition should be enough time to get used to it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
JW Coronation Ace for you. There is always a tiny adjustment period but nothing drastic, you should be fine.

avalerie696

Rinkside
First, do you have a coach to guide you? A fitter where you're getting your boots?

That said, my skater went from a Jackson Elle with an Ultima Mirage (8 ft. rocker) to a CA "clone" (Eclipse Mist 7 ft. rocker) at about your skill level. I think she was working on the Lutz at the time. Jumps were better, spins were better. She then went to an authentic Wilson CA and was immediately better all around, no adjustments at all. And, just to add a coda, she went from that CA to a Gold Seal (8 ft. rocker) with minimal adjustment as well. I don't know a thing about the Jackson blades, my skater is a Wilson skater for life, or so it seems when I've suggested other blades. Good luck, and don't be scared, you'll get used to whatever is on your feet.
no, not currently. And i dont have any skating shops where i live so i have to order my skates and blades online. I went for a virtual fitting this time and they said I was on the wrong size all this time and that I has to get a smaller sized boot. My feet measure as 230mm and they recommended the 235 size( isthat the right size or will it be too small?). I did some more research and found out that the legacy 8 does not have really good reviews. So I guess I'll try the Coronation Ace blades. I just didn't want to change to a 7 ft rocker just to have to change back to an 8ft rocker again as I want to choose a rocker that I'll be using for all my future blades as well.

avalerie696

Rinkside
no, not currently. And i dont have any skating shops where i live so i have to order my skates and blades online. I went for a virtual fitting this time and they said I was on the wrong size all this time and that I has to get a smaller sized boot. My feet measure as 230mm and they recommended the 235 size( isthat the right size or will it be too small?). I did some more research and found out that the legacy 8 does not have really good reviews. So I guess I'll try the Coronation Ace blades. I just didn't want to change to a 7 ft rocker just to have to change back to an 8ft rocker again as I want to choose a rocker that I'll be using for all my future blades as well.
Just found a clearance sale for the risport rf3 pros in size 235 ( i think that's the size i should be getting) and the coronation ace parabolic blades in my size too. My budget is pretty low. Will it be ok if I get this pair?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Just found a clearance sale for the risport rf3 pros in size 235 ( i think that's the size i should be getting) and the coronation ace parabolic blades in my size too. My budget is pretty low. Will it be ok if I get this pair?
Every boot brand has different sizing. No I would NOT get those boots online.

I would get a coach, and wait til you can find a place that can fit you properly, that could mean travelling some distance to a shop that can do so. You do NOT want to screw this up by blindly ordering a boot online and injuring yourself by having an ill-fitting boot. Also, how will you get the blades properly mounted if you don't have a place to do so nearby? You can't do it yourself.
What level of skater are you? Because being able to do a flip doesn't mean you need a RF3 Risport, which would be way too stiff for you unless you are an average sized adult skater.

Get a coach that knows how to do these things, not just some random coach either.
I know this sounds harsh, but it's not meant to be. Just protecting you from injury and regret with boots.

Also, get an intermediate blade like a JW Coronation Ace or an MK Pro. No Ultima.

Good luck!

avalerie696

Rinkside
Every boot brand has different sizing. No I would NOT get those boots online.

I would get a coach, and wait til you can find a place that can fit you properly, that could mean travelling some distance to a shop that can do so. You do NOT want to screw this up by blindly ordering a boot online and injuring yourself by having an ill-fitting boot. Also, how will you get the blades properly mounted if you don't have a place to do so nearby? You can't do it yourself.
What level of skater are you? Because being able to do a flip doesn't mean you need a RF3 Risport, which would be way too stiff for you unless you are an average sized adult skater.

Get a coach that knows how to do these things, not just some random coach either.
I know this sounds harsh, but it's not meant to be. Just protecting you from injury and regret with boots.

Also, get an intermediate blade like a JW Coronation Ace or an MK Pro. No Ultima.

Good luck!
I'd love to get professionally fitted, but I'd have to travel to another country for that which I don't think is ideal. So the only option I have is the virtual fitter to whom I've sent pictures of my foot and its measurements. They recommended 235 but said 240 would be ok too, but I really dont want that small space between my toes and my boot that I had in my Overtures(from measuring myself).The only skates sold where I am are Edeas so you can only get fitted for Edeas. But I've always hated how the ankle area is so loose in Edeas and how 'bulky' it looks (at least for me). Most skaters who want other brands here measure their feet themselves.
The online shop offers free mounting so the mounting will not be a problem. If it is badly mounted I can give it to my local rink as they offer mounting.
I don't think I need the RF3 Pros because I can do a flip, but because I'd love the extra stability and support. The overtures that I used (not counting quarantine) was skated in for 6 months and it feels super unstable for me.
Also thank you, I'm considering the Coronation Ace blades:)

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'd love to get professionally fitted, but I'd have to travel to another country for that which I don't think is ideal. So the only option I have is the virtual fitter to whom I've sent pictures of my foot and its measurements. They recommended 235 but said 240 would be ok too, but I really dont want that small space between my toes and my boot that I had in my Overtures(from measuring myself).The only skates sold where I am are Edeas so you can only get fitted for Edeas. But I've always hated how the ankle area is so loose in Edeas and how 'bulky' it looks (at least for me). Most skaters who want other brands here measure their feet themselves.
The online shop offers free mounting so the mounting will not be a problem. If it is badly mounted I can give it to my local rink as they offer mounting.
I don't think I need the RF3 Pros because I can do a flip, but because I'd love the extra stability and support. The overtures that I used (not counting quarantine) was skated in for 6 months and it feels super unstable for me.
If online is your only option I would make sure they are returnable. Usually with a small restocking fee. I think the online store Kinzies Closet offers free returns on Risport, but I don't know if that applies to sales out of the U.S. I'd bet that if you have whoever you're buying those boots from mount the blade they won't be returnable. If you have someone local that can mount the blade after you get the right size boot you might be better off.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You cannot compare Edea's to any other brand stability wise as they are fundamentally different in their design.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

You cannot compare Edea's to any other brand stability wise as they are fundamentally different in their design.
Anika is correct, if you are are unstable in your edea, you are not going to automatically be more stable or not in the Risport, also as I said in my first post to you. EACH BRAND IS DIFFERENT WITH STIFFNESS RATINGS!! Rf3 is going to be too stiff for you, and you don't want to risk having to or not being able to return them if they don't work as well as possible injury from wearing a boot that is too stiff for you.

avalerie696

Rinkside
Anika is correct, if you are are unstable in your edea, you are not going to automatically be more stable or not in the Risport, also as I said in my first post to you. EACH BRAND IS DIFFERENT WITH STIFFNESS RATINGS!! Rf3 is going to be too stiff for you, and you don't want to risk having to or not being able to return them if they don't work as well as possible injury from wearing a boot that is too stiff for you.
Oh ok. Which model do you think I should go for then?

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
If they said your foot measures as a 230mm, WHY would they say that you could go up to a 240?? 5mm difference is one thing, but 10mm is too much...

Also. Did everyone just suddenly decide that RF3s are just the boots of the year or something? Everyone on this forum seems to be interested in RF3s when they won't even work for everyone :tantrum:

avalerie696

Rinkside
If they said your foot measures as a 230mm, WHY would they say that you could go up to a 240?? 5mm difference is one thing, but 10mm is too much...

Also. Did everyone just suddenly decide that RF3s are just the boots of the year or something? Everyone on this forum seems to be interested in RF3s when they won't even work for everyone :tantrum:
:LOL:I had no idea about RF3s being popular, but I had planned on getting them for a while. I wanted a boot that would last me for a long time as I can't change boots so often (delivery and measuring and everything is so complicated plus the cost too) hence why I chose the RF3s.
EDIT: Oh and they didn't say my foot measures as 230mm. I measured it ans sent pictures of my foot on the scale and my foot measured as 230mm. They just suggested the 240 size because the 235 size was out of stock and would take two more weeks to arrive.

Last edited:

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
:LOL:I had no idea about RF3s being popular, but I had planned on getting them for a while. I wanted a boot that would last me for a long time as I can't change boots so often (delivery and measuring and everything is so complicated plus the cost too) hence why I chose the RF3s.
No, and that makes total sense. If they're the boots that work for you, that's awesome, and I hope it didn't seem like I was poking fun at you, because that was not my intention! I just thought it's super funny that so many people are talking about them on here lately, that's all!!

And I feel you on the long lasting boot thing. I take super good care of my Edeas, and I make sure to relace them regularly and store them very carefully so that they last as long as possible 😭

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I already said that here and another thread.