New boots and blades | Golden Skate

New boots and blades

Talou

Spectator
Hi everyone!
I'm planning on purchasing new boots and blades, but I'm not really that experienced as to which blade or boot would suit me best.
Maybe I should give you some information about myself first. I'm a 21 year old female, 69kg and 173 cm. I've been skating since I was 8 and stopped for a while at the age of 17 due to my studies. During that time I still skated every once in a while, but not as regularly as before. Now I want to pick my good habits back up :D. I do land all my single jumps + double salchow and i'm just about to start working on my other doubles. I was thinking about getting the Edea chorus boots with the coronation ace blades, but I'm not entirely sure. At first I was leaning towards the Edea overtures because I don't want to overboot, but I've read that you can't really do that with Edea skates. A few days ago I was about 100% sure which skates I would buy, but doing more research and reading other peoples questions on forums made me doubt about it. :ROFLMAO:
Hopefully someone can help me here! :D

A massive thank you in advance!

Talou

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!
I'm planning on purchasing new boots and blades, but I'm not really that experienced as to which blade or boot would suit me best.
Maybe I should give you some information about myself first. I'm a 21 year old female, 69kg and 173 cm. I've been skating since I was 8 and stopped for a while at the age of 17 due to my studies. During that time I still skated every once in a while, but not as regularly as before. Now I want to pick my good habits back up :D. I do land all my single jumps + double salchow and i'm just about to start working on my other doubles. I was thinking about getting the Edea chorus boots with the coronation ace blades, but I'm not entirely sure. At first I was leaning towards the Edea overtures because I don't want to overboot, but I've read that you can't really do that with Edea skates. A few days ago I was about 100% sure which skates I would buy, but doing more research and reading other peoples questions on forums made me doubt about it. :ROFLMAO:
Hopefully someone can help me here! :D

A massive thank you in advance!

Talou
First of all, how do you know edea is even the right boots for you? They might not fit your specific foot type/shape.
Secondly, find a good skate fitting pro and go to them and they will measure your foot and take tracings to see what brands would work best for you.

Lastly, I can't really suggest boot brands/styles to you unless you tell us more about your foot: Shape, is it wider in one part than the other?, is it all one width? What's your arches like? none, low, normal, high?

That is how we can suggest boots, but definitely find a fitter.

Talou

Spectator
First of all, how do you know edea is even the right boots for you? They might not fit your specific foot type/shape.
Secondly, find a good skate fitting pro and go to them and they will measure your foot and take tracings to see what brands would work best for you.

Lastly, I can't really suggest boot brands/styles to you unless you tell us more about your foot: Shape, is it wider in one part than the other?, is it all one width? What's your arches like? none, low, normal, high?

That is how we can suggest boots, but definitely find a fitter.
I was thinking about buying Edea Skates because my coach suggested them to me. I also tried on my friends pair of Edea Skates and they immediately felt good on my foot. My current skates are the Wifa Prima Intermediate, but after being on the ice for a while my feet start to hurt in them. Maybe that's just because they're kinda worn out.

When I compare to charts, I've got more like a 'greek' foot type, medium width and normal arches.
I'm not completely setting my mind on buying Edea Skates, I'm open to every suggestion. :) It's just hard to get a good fitting in these times because stores are closed due to covid and we're not allowed to go abroad.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was thinking about buying Edea Skates because my coach suggested them to me. I also tried on my friends pair of Edea Skates and they immediately felt good on my foot. My current skates are the Wifa Prima Intermediate, but after being on the ice for a while my feet start to hurt in them. Maybe that's just because they're kinda worn out.

When I compare to charts, I've got more like a 'greek' foot type, medium width and normal arches.
I'm not completely setting my mind on buying Edea Skates, I'm open to every suggestion. :) It's just hard to get a good fitting in these times because stores are closed due to covid and we're not allowed to go abroad.
With your foot type I would not suggest Edea. Look at Graf, Riedell, Jackson.

Elija

On the Ice
As above, best to get fitted and find the right brand for you. If you do go the Edea route I would not get anything below concerto for your weight and skill level. Chorus will most likely not be supportive enough.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As above, best to get fitted and find the right brand for you. If you do go the Edea route I would not get anything below concerto for your weight and skill level. Chorus will most likely not be supportive enough.
Disagree completely. Unless she's a freak of nature who somehow has the deepest knee bend and highest jumps in the world after being off the ice so long, she needs to stay in a softer boot until she gets more comfortable. Chorus is made for all doubles and shes at way less than that.
With your foot type I would not suggest Edea. Look at Graf, Riedell, Jackson.
Isn't greek + medium arch + medium width exactly what Edea is designed for, though? From what I know that's the most comfortable foot in Edea. Of course there are other brands that the foot will fit (possibly even better depending on the individual nuances), but from what I know, that's literally a textbook Edea foot?

Elija

On the Ice
Disagree completely. Unless she's a freak of nature who somehow has the deepest knee bend and highest jumps in the world after being off the ice so long, she needs to stay in a softer boot until she gets more comfortable. Chorus is made for all doubles and shes at way less than that.

Isn't greek + medium arch + medium width exactly what Edea is designed for, though? From what I know that's the most comfortable foot in Edea. Of course there are other brands that the foot will fit (possibly even better depending on the individual nuances), but from what I know, that's literally a textbook Edea foot?
I wore chorus after coming back to skating as an adult too, just doing singles at the time and they broke down in six months. Were never supportive enough. That’s why I wouldn’t suggest them - they’re great for kids doing doubles but I don’t think they work so well for adults. Just my opinion/experience with them.

iceskating21

On the Ice
Is it better to go to the pro shop in your rink and let them recommend to you? They might be the most professional ones you can ask.

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
I wore chorus after coming back to skating as an adult too, just doing singles at the time and they broke down in six months. Were never supportive enough.
Edeas can break down pretty prematurely due to incorrect lacing and sizing, which unfortunately is pretty common. Not saying this was your experience and I'm not trying to undermine what you're saying because everyone's needs are different, but for many this is why edeas don't seem to last, especially when they're first time skaters who bought them online without fitting. Since the support is so different in them many think that they aren't being "supported" enough when actually they are, it's just a different kind.

Elija

On the Ice
Edeas can break down pretty prematurely due to incorrect lacing and sizing, which unfortunately is pretty common. Not saying this was your experience and I'm not trying to undermine what you're saying because everyone's needs are different, but for many this is why edeas don't seem to last, especially when they're first time skaters who bought them online without fitting. Since the support is so different in them many think that they aren't being "supported" enough when actually they are, it's just a different kind.
Yeah for sure. i don’t think that was the case for me. I am still in edeas in the same size but a stiffer boot. Same lacing. They are much better.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

More not so greek, little to no arch, and narrow width.
Is it better to go to the pro shop in your rink and let them recommend to you? They might be the most professional ones you can ask.
No. Just because it's a pro shop at the rink doesn't mean that they know a thing about figure skates. Many are hockey based.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
More not so greek, little to no arch, and narrow width.
I guess it's more that Edea is really bad for those who are flat footed than those with low arches, then? What toe shape do you think fits best with Edea? Tapered? Every tech has told me greek was the perfect foot for Edea.