New ice dance centre headed by Charlie and Tanith White | Golden Skate

New ice dance centre headed by Charlie and Tanith White

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Charlie and Tanith White, in partnership with Greg Zuerlein, have announced their new ice dance training centre: Michigan Ice Dance Academy, which will open in early 2022.

Their website says their aim is "to provide an environment which nurtures performance excellence as much as overall well-being".

Here's the link to their website: https://www.michiganicedanceacademy.com/
Their Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/michiganicedanceacademy/

It will be really exciting to see if any current teams transfer to here, and to see the new talent that this team develop together.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I was just thinking it would be great if more of the last generation of ice dancers got involved in coaching! Very excited about this news, and I feel sure that they'll have at least one if not more promising teams within the next year.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Charlie and Tanith White, in partnership with Greg Zuerlein, have announced their new ice dance training centre: Michigan Ice Dance Academy, which will open in early 2022.

Their website says their aim is "to provide an environment which nurtures performance excellence as much as overall well-being".

Here's the link to their website: https://www.michiganicedanceacademy.com/
Their Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/michiganicedanceacademy/

It will be really exciting to see if any current teams transfer to here, and to see the new talent that this team develop together.
They will also being doing this in partnership with the University of Michigan Department of Dance.
IIRC MIDA will be based at Arctic Edge in Canton, MI.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They will also being doing this in partnership with the University of Michigan Department of Dance.
IIRC MIDA will be based at Arctic Edge in Canton, MI.
thank you! I was wondering where in Michigan, and the website didn't say (until I just now clicked on the link to apply, where it did say). I think it's cool that they'll be in Canton at their old training center. Are Jim Peterson and Amanda Evora still there?

It's a little soon for another coaching change, but I wish Christina Carriera and Anthony Ponomarenko would do it anyway. Would be cool. Of course, what do I know? C/P know what's best for them.

I wonder if Charlie will be the choreography side of the team? It will be interesting to watch. I love their statement of intention.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
yes please!!! Greg seems to be an excellent coach, his teams this season have achieved quite a bit and in all honesty, I think Igor's teams were stronger when Greg was part of the team.
Not to mention he was an excellent ice dancer in his own right when he was competitive partnering Stasia Olson and then Madi Chock.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
It's a little soon for another coaching change, but I wish Christina Carriera and Anthony Ponomarenko would do it anyway. Would be cool. Of course, what do I know? C/P know what's best for them.
They've actually posted about being kind of coached by Greg and Charlie at Canton when they're in the US (I guess some weeks they need to spend there in full to meet her citizenship requirements, which they seem to do when Scott is travelling to competitions with other teams). But yeah I kind of would be interested to see this because I think Christina has some similarities to Tanith and Charlie has done some great choreo so far.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They've actually posted about being kind of coached by Greg and Charlie at Canton when they're in the US (I guess some weeks they need to spend there in full to meet her citizenship requirements, which they seem to do when Scott is travelling to competitions with other teams). But yeah I kind of would be interested to see this because I think Christina has some similarities to Tanith and Charlie has done some great choreo so far.
thank you for the update! this is encouraging. I should start checking out their IGs.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
This is very exciting - all 3 are good coaches or choreographers. Although I'll miss Charlie and Tanith commentating.

I kind of hope they don't take any high-level teams right away though, and maybe focus on developmental work in the beginning. They can have as big an impact, if not more that way, and I'd love to see what kind of athletes they can help grow.

(But if for some reason it's a great fit for the Browns then I want them to go, I want them to get all the support they can.)

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
This sounds great - with Scott Moir also on the coaching staff at Montreal, hopefully this Michigan center will attract more up and coming dance teams and spur more competition and harness a larger pool of new ice dance folks in the US. I do wonder how much it would take for the Michigan ice dance center to get to the same place as the MFD/PL and Zhulin level type of reputation - as we know that politics and influences are a big driving force in ice dance.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is very exciting - all 3 are good coaches or choreographers. Although I'll miss Charlie and Tanith commentating.

I kind of hope they don't take any high-level teams right away though, and maybe focus on developmental work in the beginning. They can have as big an impact, if not more that way, and I'd love to see what kind of athletes they can help grow.

(But if for some reason it's a great fit for the Browns then I want them to go, I want them to get all the support they can.)
Well, Bratti/Somerville currently list their training base as Canton, and their coaches as Tanith, Charlie, Greg and Dmitri Ilin on their USFS bio, so that's one senior team they have already.

Chantilly

On the Ice
Very happy to hear this news,
Love IAM but think competition is great.
Love North America creating and maintaining a legacy in ice dance.

I think they both have the right ideas about how skating should be coached and taught.

Excited to see how this new venture unfolds.

Think they are in good hands

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Delighted to hear of a new dance center being developed in the US—and eagerly looking forward to White and Scott Moir continuing their rivalry, through their students. I wonder who will prove to be more successful as a coach?
Except there is no "so called rivalry" between Moir and White and there never really has been and certainly isn't between their students or "potential students."

Charlie choreographed V/M's Rock the Rink tour.

Last edited: