New skates advice: Jackson semi-custom vs Risport? | Golden Skate

New skates advice: Jackson semi-custom vs Risport?

derfy16

Spectator
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice as I am soon in need of new skates. I am an 130 lb woman currently in Jackson Premiere 2800 boots in the wide (C/D) width. I skate about 3-5 hours a week and have broken them down in about 14 months. In the inside of my boots, the inner lining is torn pretty significantly at the inside heel area. I can tell my heel lifts some when I skate. I think that I will either need more expensive Jackson semi-customs and get an A heel to ensure a good foot lock or perhaps try a different brand boot. I have tried Edeas, but I can tell that they don't really support my arch the right way. I was recommended Risport because I have a wide toe box but otherwise average sized feet. I do have thicker ankles if that matters at all. I honestly haven't had too many problems with my Jacksons but I feel like I would like a slightly tighter fit overall except for the toebox.

I have all of my singles up to axel which I am really close to landing. I am starting to work on doubles as well this year. If Risport is a good option for me, I figure the RF3 or Royal Pro is probably the two recommended options for my level. I jump a lot and am pretty hard on my skates, so would the RF1 elite be too much? I think I prefer more support for landings.

I'd love to hear your input to help guide me in buying new skates. I am excited but its such a hard and potentially costly decision!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I have to say, you get a LOT of bang for your buck with Jackson semi customs, especially for something as commonly needed as multiple ball/heel split widths.

I would also consider moving up to Jackson's Elite boot (5300). It sounds like it might be better suited to your weight and skating style now that you are training axels and doubles. There is a big price jump from the Premiere to the Elite though.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jackson semi-custom. I would not personally recommend Risport for you, but if you do end up trying them RF3 is enough for you, you could go into a Royal pro but those are for Triples and will be too much for you. Stay away from RF1 and higher b/c those are for triples and quads and are super stiff.

I think you would be best with the Jackson, since that is what you wear and they work for you.

Good luck! :cool:

derfy16

Spectator
I have to say, you get a LOT of bang for your buck with Jackson semi customs, especially for something as commonly needed as multiple ball/heel split widths.

I would also consider moving up to Jackson's Elite boot (5300). It sounds like it might be better suited to your weight and skating style now that you are training axels and doubles. There is a big price jump from the Premiere to the Elite though.
I am glad that we agree - I am planning to go to the 5300 boot if I go the semi-custom route. It is such a huge jump in price from the Premieres, so that was definitely my thought process with trying Risport. If I go with the Jacksons, I hope that they will have a little more lasting power than my current pair given the big price difference.

Sibelius

On the Ice

It used to be big, now it's HUGE! Was $400 (Premiere) to $549 Elite. It's now $400 to $750. Rapid custom adds $50 to the stock price. Full customs start at $949. So, for us to order an RC Elite it would be $800. Full custom for $150 more is a no brainer for us.

derfy16

Spectator
Jackson semi-custom. I would not personally recommend Risport for you, but if you do end up trying them RF3 is enough for you, you could go into a Royal pro but those are for Triples and will be too much for you. Stay away from RF1 and higher b/c those are for triples and quads and are super stiff.

I think you would be best with the Jackson, since that is what you wear and they work for you.

Good luck! :cool:
Ok that makes sense. I hope reducing the heel size will allow me to have a really nice fitting boot and limit some of the heel lifting that I especially notice with spins. Thanks!

derfy16

Spectator
It used to be big, now it's HUGE! Was $400 (Premiere) to $549 Elite. It's now $400 to $750. Rapid custom adds $50 to the stock price. Full customs start at $949. So, for us to order an RC Elite it would be $800. Full custom for $150 more is a no brainer for us.
You do have a great point there... when you are already invested so far, you might as well go all in!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Good enough that makes sense. I hope lowering the heel length will allow me to have a genuinely fine fitting boot and restrict some of the heel lifting that I specifically observe with spins. Thanks!
You're welcome.

celia

Rinkside
Ok that makes sense. I hope reducing the heel size will allow me to have a really nice fitting boot and limit some of the heel lifting that I especially notice with spins. Thanks!
Is there a difference in heel height between the Fusion Premiers and the Elites? I have Jackson Premiers in the pre-Fusion model and I don't want the new, higher Fusion heels. If I go to Elite for my next pair of skates, is the heel lower? I assume if I go full custom I can get the heel to my specified height, but if I want semi-custom can the Premiere be adjusted to a lower heel height, or is that impossible given the existing last?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Well, Elites are in the 5000 line, and only the 2000 line boots have the Fusion heels. I think the 5000 heels are a little shorter, but you'd have to have someone measure to make sure. Maybe your pro shop can do that for you?

celia

Rinkside
Well, Elites are in the 5000 line, and only the 2000 line boots have the Fusion heels. I think the 5000 heels are a little shorter, but you'd have to have someone measure to make sure. Maybe your pro shop can do that for you?
My pro shop tells me that the new Premiere Fusion heels are no higher than the old Premiere heels. I'm almost positive this is not true, based on things I've heard, and also because someone I knew really did measure the heels to compare. So while I love him for sharpening, I don't quite trust him on the heel height issue.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
In any event, the 5000 line boots still have their heels built the old way, so I doubt you'll have issues with the height.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jackson can actually customize the height of your boot heel on their "traditional" heel boots. So just something to consider.

Sibelius

On the Ice
My pro shop tells me that the new Premiere Fusion heels are no higher than the old Premiere heels. I'm almost positive this is not true, based on things I've heard, and also because someone I knew really did measure the heels to compare. So while I love him for sharpening, I don't quite trust him on the heel height issue.
Good question. Original Fusion series boots require a 1/4" longer blade. I think that was before they changed the heel pitch. Now each boot in their Custom, 2000 and 5000 lines uses the 1/4" shorter blade no matter the sole (LCL, LCF, or Fusion). That seems to me that they have adopted a consistent (higher) heel pitch across their lines. I asked my skater if she remembers when she went to the higher pitch, her response was, "I did?", so she had no issues with it.

They are really great at answering email very quickly. I'm pretty sure I asked about the reason for the blade size difference when we went from an "old" Debut Fusion to a "new" Debut Fusion, but can't find the email. I'm pretty sure a lower heel height would require a full custom boot, which is $950. I don't thing rapid (semi) custom gives that option, but you can ask.

Report back if you hear anything from Jackson.

Jackson Blade Fit Chart

Last edited:

celia

Rinkside
Good question. Original Fusion series boots require a 1/4" longer blade. I think that is before they changed the heel pitch. Now each boot in their Custom, 2000 and 5000 lines uses the 1/4" shorter blade no matter the sole (LCL, LCF, or Fusion). That seems to me that they have adopted a consistent (higher) heel pitch across their lines. I asked my skater if she remembers when she went to the higher pitch, her response was, "I did?", so she had no issues with it.

They are really great at answering email very quickly. I'm pretty sure I asked about the reason for the blade size difference when we went from an "old" Debut Fusion to a "new" Debut Fusion, but can't find the email. I'm pretty sure a lower heel height would require a full custom boot, which is $950. I don't thing rapid (semi) custom gives that option, but you can ask.

Report back if you hear anything from Jackson.

Jackson Blade Fit Chart
Thanks everyone!

celia

Rinkside
Ok reporting back - this is what Jackson told me (and they responded very quickly):
"The heel heights are the same across all 3 of our soles. We offer Fusion, LCL & LCF
The LCL sole is what you had on your older Premieres DJ2500 ( it is leather and cork)
The LCF sole are the same as the LCL except they have an additional carbon fiber layer on the bottom
Alternatively, you can order a Rapid custom boot order and have the LCL soles installed instead of the Fusion. Your Jackson retailer can confirm pricing, delay would be about 4 weeks."
They stated there is no difference between the old Premiere 2500 and the current Jackson heel heights.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks for the report. They really are very helpful, it's one of the reason's mine is going into her 9th pair of Jackson boots. I was a bit worried because we didn't even ask about the heel height on the customs we just ordered. We (well, George our fitter actually) chose the LCF instead of the Fusion because of ease of blade mounting and correction. 4 weeks is pretty good. We're still another 4 or 5 out from ours being shipped.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Ok reporting back - this is what Jackson told me (and they responded very quickly):
"The heel heights are the same across all 3 of our soles. We offer Fusion, LCL & LCF
The LCL sole is what you had on your older Premieres DJ2500 ( it is leather and cork)
The LCF sole are the same as the LCL except they have an additional carbon fiber layer on the bottom
Alternatively, you can order a Rapid custom boot order and have the LCL soles installed instead of the Fusion. Your Jackson retailer can confirm pricing, delay would be about 4 weeks."
They stated there is no difference between the old Premiere 2500 and the current Jackson heel heights.
I just ordered a pair of custom Jacksons with the LCF sole, and heel heights were one of the things I discussed with the fitter. She told me that the heel on the Fusion sole is actually a bit higher than on the LCF/LCL soles, but because the sole is also thicker in front (ie at the ball of the foot) the pitch is the same. You can see it clearly here if you compare the Elite boot to the Debut :

In case you haven’t seen this, here is a bit of detail on Jackson’s custom options.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I just ordered a pair of custom Jacksons with the LCF sole, and heel heights were one of the things I discussed with the fitter. She told me that the heel on the Fusion sole is actually a bit higher than on the LCF/LCL soles, but because the sole is also thicker in front (ie at the ball of the foot) the pitch is the same. You can see it clearly here if you compare the Elite boot to the Debut :

In case you haven’t seen this, here is a bit of detail on Jackson’s custom options.

What was your time quote? We were told 8 weeks, although there was a few days delay in getting the order in. Should be here by the end of July.

I still remember an email conversation about heel height and blade size from a couple of years ago. I wish I could find it.