New skates advice: Jackson semi-custom vs Risport? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New skates advice: Jackson semi-custom vs Risport?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think I ordered around May 21and they quoted 8-10 weeks? So I guess end of July or early August. Since I’m not a competitive skater my guess is they’ll prioritize orders like your daughter’s. And since I’m out of town in July, I will survive until they arrive. 😉

Sibelius

On the Ice
I think I ordered around May 21and they quoted 8-10 weeks? So I guess end of July or early August. Since I’m not a competitive skater my guess is they’ll prioritize orders like your daughter’s. And since I’m out of town in July, I will survive until they arrive. 😉
Nah, I think we're all in the same queue. It's MUCH better than Sp-Teri (currently making no boots) Harlick or Avanta, both of which are now at > 18 weeks. Hope all goes well with yours!

Nimyue

On the Ice
I had Jackson customs and hated them. They gave me the bumps on my heel. Prior to that I wore the Freestyle, and while my heel slipped all over the place in those, they didn't damage my feet. The Jackson customs had the width correct, but they hurt so badly. They have a heat moldable hard plastic piece that wraps around the achilles, and my heel would bang into it constantly. Also the custom Elite style boot has much less padding than the Premieres. They just aren't very comfortable.

Risport Royal Pros are what I have now. They are so comfortable. I put my foot in them once and was sold. They are so nice. Plus they are much lighter than the Jacksons.

I love my Risports so so much.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I had Jackson customs and hated them. They gave me the bumps on my heel. Prior to that I wore the Freestyle, and while my heel slipped all over the place in those, they didn't damage my feet. The Jackson customs had the width correct, but they hurt so badly. They have a heat moldable hard plastic piece that wraps around the achilles, and my heel would bang into it constantly. Also the custom Elite style boot has much less padding than the Premieres. They just aren't very comfortable.

Risport Royal Pros are what I have now. They are so comfortable. I put my foot in them once and was sold. They are so nice. Plus they are much lighter than the Jacksons.

Glad the Risports worked for you, but Jackson was our only alternative. Our fitter and another who sells both advised us that her heel would not fit snug enough in the Risport. We are adding extra padding wherever we can, subject to the stitching requirements. We really wish that the Sp-Teri factory was up and running, but they are having some issues that they are struggling to overcome. Hopefully in the next go around we'll have another choice if these don't work out.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

Oddly for me it was the Royal Pros which worsened my heel bumps (originally caused by Edea) in exactly the mechanism you mentioned your Jacksons did for you (hard plastic bit whacking my heel), and switching to Jacksons helped mitigate it. Maybe the padded part/hard counter on a Risport lie in different places relative to my feet compared to yours?

This makes me a bit nervous, since I've been considering going from Premieres to customs...

Sibelius

On the Ice
Oddly for me it was the Royal Pros which worsened my heel bumps (originally caused by Edea) in exactly the mechanism you mentioned your Jacksons did for you (hard plastic bit whacking my heel), and switching to Jacksons helped mitigate it. Maybe the padded part/hard counter on a Risport lie in different places relative to my feet compared to yours?

This makes me a bit nervous, since I've been considering going from Premieres to customs..
Nervous, yeah I get that. It really ends up being a leap of faith with your brand and your boot fitter. We waited as long as we could to go the custom route. She was ready for a new boot, the stock Elite is now $750. Rapid custom for her width would've been another $50. So, at $950 the custom wasn't much of a price jump. Hers will be more or less a leather, LCF soled Premiere. Same stiffness as her Premier, but with a "stronger" tongue. It shouldn't be a drastic leap for her which has always been our MO, don't change too much too fast. She'll even be in the same size so her current Gold Seal will fit as well, which is nice not adding another $700 or so onto the cost.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
We really wish that the Sp-Teri factory was up and running, but they are having some issues that they are struggling to overcome. Hopefully in the next go around we'll have another choice if these don't work out.
What's the issue with the Sp-Teri factory? Staffing issues related to COVID or something else? I hadn't heard.

I'm not surprised Avanta and Harlick are running behind also. Truthfully, the talk by the Harlick ladies at my rink in the summer of 2019 is that it was taking up to 6 months to get new boots, and that was 6 months before the pandemic.

Nimyue

On the Ice

This makes me a bit nervous, since I've been considering going from Premieres to customs...
Yeah probably a different location or different shaped heel. Mine is fairly narrow, but almost square, so anything that comes to a point is impossible for me to get a heel lock in. The rounder back of the Risport Royal Pro is the perfect shape for me. Feet are funny.

Sibelius

On the Ice
The rounder back of the Risport Royal Pro is the perfect shape for me. Feet are funny.
Yep. And that's why we had to go with Jackson. She has a very narrow heel and achilles and that rounder back is what both fitters said would not let her lock in well enough. It's a "medium" width, and she's definitely not a medium. I wish we'd been able to give it a try, but ordering, shipping, restock, just wasn't worth it.

Sibelius

On the Ice
What's the issue with the Sp-Teri factory? Staffing issues related to COVID or something else? I hadn't heard.
Sort of. They lost their experienced stitcher who came back to CA. Didn't want to relocate to TN. They're working hard getting someone trained, but it's a rather specific skill that even the former Owner doesn't know how to do!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Sort of. They lost their experienced stitcher who came back to CA. Didn't want to relocate to TN. They're working hard getting someone trained, but it's a rather specific skill that even the former Owner doesn't know how to do!
Oh crikey, that is disastrous! Speaking as a qualified tailor who has struggled to find even seamstresses up to the job of making fairly simple cotton clothing... :cry:

Sibelius

On the Ice
Got a message from our fitter yesterday that hers are now end of August at the earliest. They are having trouble "sourcing materials", and they close the last week of July and the first week of August for vacation. He said that every manufacturer is "a mess right now". I hope you got in early enough so yours aren't delayed.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Got a message from our fitter yesterday that hers are now end of August at the earliest. They are having trouble "sourcing materials", and they close the last week of July and the first week of August for vacation. He said that every manufacturer is "a mess right now". I hope you got in early enough so yours aren't delayed.
I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s really a long time. I hope your daughter can last in her current boots until she gets the new ones. I guess my timing was good bc the fitter told me they just shipped. Before we placed the order, the fitter had to speak with Jackson a few times to get things right bc my feet are a bit different to what they were when I got the last pair. At the time I thought it was kind of funny that Jackson was eager for her to finalize the order and get them into production. Maybe it was bc he anticipated the problems? Anyway, I hope your daughter’s aren’t delayed too long. It’s kind of startling how broadly Covid is still impacting manufacturers, but I guess they’re doing the best they can.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s really a long time. I hope your daughter can last in her current boots until she gets the new ones. I guess my timing was good bc the fitter told me they just shipped. Before we placed the order, the fitter had to speak with Jackson a few times to get things right bc my feet are a bit different to what they were when I got the last pair. At the time I thought it was kind of funny that Jackson was eager for her to finalize the order and get them into production. Maybe it was bc he anticipated the problems? Anyway, I hope your daughter’s aren’t delayed too long. It’s kind of startling how broadly Covid is still impacting manufacturers, but I guess they’re doing the best they can.
She's fine. The boot is going to be the same size so that's not a problem. You had better timing than we did. Keep us apprised how they turned out.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
She's fine. The boot is going to be the same size so that's not a problem. You had better timing than we did. Keep us apprised how they turned out.
Thought you’d like to know I picked up my new Jacksons today (they were delivered to the shop a couple of weeks ago but I was out of town). The fitter heat molded them and mounted the blades but I haven’t been able to skate in them yet (work 😉). So I can’t give my final verdict yet, but I’m actually really pleased - they seem to have done a great job with the fit / customization (not easy with my feet). Obviously the true test will be on the ice but I’m pretty sure they’ll be fine. 😊

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thought you’d like to know I picked up my new Jacksons today (they were delivered to the shop a couple of weeks ago but I was out of town). The fitter heat molded them and mounted the blades but I haven’t been able to skate in them yet (work 😉). So I can’t give my final verdict yet, but I’m actually really pleased - they seem to have done a great job with the fit / customization (not easy with my feet). Obviously the true test will be on the ice but I’m pretty sure they’ll be fine. 😊
Good to hear. Maybe it's time for a "mental health day" to try them out? Still a long wait for us, hoping for an earlier delivery date. My skater's feet are pretty normal, just the combination width, so there shouldn't be anything tricky about them. Asked for extra padding though, because her ankle sits nowhere close to the stock ankle punch. That's our biggest concern.

derfy16

Spectator
To end this story I ended up going with the Risport Royal Elites. Yes, I know that they are too stiff for my level, but I am very hard on my boots and I prefer the feeling of being super supported. I tried on a pair of Jacksons with an A heel, and I could tell that my heel would still slip - I think it is more the shape of my heel not working as well with Jacksons as with the Risports where it really secures my heel in place. I do miss the comfort of the Jacksons having a ton of padding as compared to Risports, but I think that is a lot of the reason why they broke down so fast because the padding got compressed causing my feet to move around too much within the boots. I already feel like the Risports are more of a natural extension of my foot because of their shape. I will be honest and say that they aren't a totally perfect fit, I still have to punch out the toebox area to accommodate my bunions/wide toebox, and there is very little ankle wrap up top because I have cankles but I think it will improve a little once I settle into them more.

As an aside, I also noticed that Jacksons have a slightly different fit in comparison to the pair I bought at the end of 2019. With the older pair I own, the toe is a little more tapered and the heel seems narrower, both of which is better for me as compared to the newer versions. Also the new versions require a 1/4" shorter blade so I was going to have to buy a new blade anyways. All in all everything just seemed to convince me to try the Risports.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
To end this story I ended up going with the Risport Royal Elites. Yes, I know that they are too stiff for my level, but I am very hard on my boots and I prefer the feeling of being super supported. I tried on a pair of Jacksons with an A heel, and I could tell that my heel would still slip - I think it is more the shape of my heel not working as well with Jacksons as with the Risports where it really secures my heel in place. I do miss the comfort of the Jacksons having a ton of padding as compared to Risports, but I think that is a lot of the reason why they broke down so fast because the padding got compressed causing my feet to move around too much within the boots. I already feel like the Risports are more of a natural extension of my foot because of their shape. I will be honest and say that they aren't a totally perfect fit, I still have to punch out the toebox area to accommodate my bunions/wide toebox, and there is very little ankle wrap up top because I have cankles but I think it will improve a little once I settle into them more.

As an aside, I also noticed that Jacksons have a slightly different fit in comparison to the pair I bought at the end of 2019. With the older pair I own, the toe is a little more tapered and the heel seems narrower, both of which is better for me as compared to the newer versions. Also the new versions require a 1/4" shorter blade so I was going to have to buy a new blade anyways. All in all everything just seemed to convince me to try the Risports.
:scratch2:Is it the royal pro you got? There isn't a royal elite.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
:scratch2:Is it the royal pro you got? There isn't a royal elite.
There was a Royal Elite, although it's discontinued. I have a couple of skaters who were talked into Royal Elites, which are rated for triples and quads, despite one of them not yet having all her singles and the other struggling with C-steps. :frown: They are lovely boots but very stiff.

OP: Thanks for the update! Hope you love them. :)